Forum Index > Trip Reports > Squeezin In Sauk N Dock After Work 8/11/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 3:59 pm 
I got off work on Wednesday August 11th and jetted up North to Highway 20. The weather was beautiful and I had plans to summit Sauk Mountain and Dock Butte in one evening. On the map they were pretty close to one another, and they both were short hikes. Sauk Mountain being 4 miles RT and Dock Butte Being 3 miles RT. Both elevation gains were a touch over a thousand feet each. I was prepared for some short jaunts, but nothing to get all worked up about. I knew that I would be cutting it close on daylight, but felt that I could squeeze them into one adventure. I was mainly hoping that they would have good, visible trails because I figured whichever one I did last I would be walking out under headlamp. As I went through the major city of Concrete I saw a really sweet looking mountain up ahead. I knew that I would soon be approaching my objective, but when I first saw the mountain I thought, "wow I would really like to check that bad boy out." Well it ended up being Sauk Mtn, so Sauk it to me!!! I headed east on highway 20 and was soon taking a left on the Sauk Mountain Road. It was a very easy turnoff to find and well marked. You can see Sauk Mountain from Highway 20 as you close in on the turnoff.
Sauk Mountain seen from Highway 20
Sauk Mountain seen from Highway 20
I followed the road for 6 miles and parked at the TH. The temp was hot and I headed up knowing I needed to make good time. I left my truck around 4:30pm. The wildflowers were amazing and are currently in full tilt on this hike.
Tiger Lilly on the trail
Tiger Lilly on the trail
Sauk Mountain trail cutting across the mountain, Sauk River cutting through the valley
Sauk Mountain trail cutting across the mountain, Sauk River cutting through the valley
Bald Mountain and Sauk Lake seen from Sauk Mountain
Bald Mountain and Sauk Lake seen from Sauk Mountain
Class 3 scramble to the true summit
Class 3 scramble to the true summit
The trail switchbacks up a steep slope and gains the ridge to the old fire lookout site. Once I got on the ridge I came to a vantage point that had a great view over to Bald Mountain and down to Sauk Lake. This is where I met a guy and two chicks just coming down. I asked him about the true summit, but he said that the true highoint was where the old lookout was at and you could still see some remains there. I tried to explain the class 3 scramble over to the true highpoint, but he wasn't interested in hearing my apparently "made up" story. He said that he has been there like 8 times and the old lookout site was the highest you could go. I smiled and was on my way. I followed the easy trail to the old lookout site. There was a little loose rock and some snow patches, but a very easy stroll. At the top I met a nice lady with 4 kids. First thing I did was look over at the true summit and saw that it was higher. Not by much, but you could for sure tell. smile.gif I dropped my pack and scramble along the knifes edge to the highpoint. It was actually the best part of the whole day. Took some pics of the benchmark, which I was hoping to show the guy on the way down. He was about 20 minutes in front of me though. It was sweet to see my truck parked at the TH while I was balancing over a thousand feet above. I got to the true summit around 5:30.
Purples and Yellows
Purples and Yellows
Blue
Blue
Sweet Textures
Sweet Textures
Purple Aster
Purple Aster
Butterfly
Butterfly
Gang of Butterflies
Gang of Butterflies
I then headed back and was to my truck around 6pm. Never ran into the guy again, but no big deal. The old lookout site is a real nice place to go... but if you want to get all huffy about highpoints, its an exposed scramble... lol All you could see was a cloud of dust as I raced toward Dock Butte. I headed West along Highway 20 and took a right on the Baker Lake Highway. Headed 12 miles and took a left at FSR #12. This turnoff wasn't marked very good, or better yet it was marked kind of funky. Took this road for 7 miles and took another left on Road #1230. Took this for 4 miles until it finally ended at the trailhead. Ya I know. This burned up a lot of time, but it was a pretty drive.
Mt Baker
Mt Baker
Cool colored rock and Mt Baker
Cool colored rock and Mt Baker
Looking toward Mt Baker with slopes of Heather
Looking toward Mt Baker with slopes of Heather
Color on Mt Baker
Color on Mt Baker
I threw on my gear and left the TH around 7:30pm. The trail was easy to follow. It felt like it was longer than 1.5 miles, but I reached the summit at 8:30pm. I was able to enjoy the amazing sunset and then headed back down. I would have taken a dip in Blue Lake if time allowed.
Sunset over Twin Sister Range seen from Dock Butte Trail
Sunset over Twin Sister Range seen from Dock Butte Trail
Sunset over Twin Sister Range
Peach colored sunset over Twin Sister Range
I will probably do Sauk Mountain again only to explore Bald Mountain and also Sauk Lake below.
Looking at Loomis Mountain and Mt Baker from Dock Butte
Looking at Loomis Mountain and Mt Baker from Dock Butte
Just the tip of Mt Shuksan
Just the tip of Mt Shuksan
Trail leading home
Trail leading home
View toward Twin Sister Range, Loomis mountain and Mt Baker from Dock Butte Summit
View toward Twin Sister Range, Loomis mountain and Mt Baker from Dock Butte Summit
View toward Twin Sister Range, Loomis mountain and Mt Baker from just below Dock Butte Summit
View toward Twin Sister Range, Loomis mountain and Mt Baker from just below Dock Butte Summit

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 4:35 pm 
nice! i like the butterfly shots, especially the green guy.

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostTue Aug 17, 2010 12:17 am 
Thanks Iron... There was a grip of butterflies all over Sauk Mtn. Congrats on Yes Peak!!! Thanks for sharing with everyone. How amazing!!! smile.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 17, 2010 12:29 am 
Thanks for the report, I have never hiked up there, looks like a nice trail and great scenery. On the list. Great pics as well.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostTue Aug 17, 2010 12:27 pm 
Thanks Chief Jo!!! I think you would like them. They were alot of fun, for the short window of time that I had. The scramble on Sauk Mountain gets the blood pumping, but offers good solid rock. smile.gif