Forum Index > Trail Talk > dumbbell loop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
felecia

felecia
PostSat Dec 29, 2001 11:00 pm 
please help-- I am trying to find "dumbbell loop" somewhere on the PCT between hwy 410 and hwy 12-- has anyone ever been there?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Dec 30, 2001 12:43 am 
Look everyone! A girl! Allison and I have someone to bond with! smile.gif It's at White Pass, on the north side of the hwy.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 9:38 am 
Precisely, the loop starts and ends at the Dog Lake trailhead about 2-3 miles east of White Pass. One of my favorite places-lots of skeeters in the summer.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
salish

salish
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 7:11 pm 
Dslayer - I was up in the hills this past Sunday on the east side of the Yak, between milepost 13 & 7, and saw a full curl ram. I was up pretty high chasing chukar and came around an uphill bend and saw him just standing there. What a site..... Just thought you would get a kick out of that. Salish (Cliff)

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 9:42 am 
Hi Cliff- That's cool-they're an awesome critter-I've been taking my daughter back and forth up to White Pass and have seen some bighorns on the north side of the Tieton. Did you see any birds?

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
salish

salish
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 11:15 am 
We saw approx. 50-60 birds. They are on the most extreme, steep parts of the plateaus. It's like walking down a 45 degree angle on billiard balls. Very treacherous. My renegade Llewellin Setter decided to take off for an hour or so, so I spent a lot of time just hiking around to find him. Beautiful area up there with tons of deer, coyote and chukar tracks in the fresh snow. I'm heading over again early tomorrow morning and I hope we get some sun. Take care. Salish

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 2:43 pm 
Well good luck-maybe up out the valley bottoms you'll get up out of the clouds because we sure haven't seen the sun today down here in Zillah. That's interesting that you saw that ram on the east side of the river-I see them fairly commonly on the west side of the river and down in Umptanum Creek-of course-I haven't walked out where you're hunting for a long time. More recently I've seen them a lot on Clemans-hope you get some birds tomorrow.

salish

salish
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 4:33 pm 
Thanks Kekoa. Even if it's cloudy it's still beautiful - just in a different way. Yes, I was a little surprised to see a ram east of the Yak, and south of Ellensburg. That's a vast area with miles of open range, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. The season ends on the 20th this year, so it's doubtful I'll get to see your Mt. Clemens area, but perhaps next year. I guess I've digressed way far from the origial topic of the dumbbell loop - sorry. Thanks and take care. Cliff