Forum Index > Pacific NW History > GT Mine lost and found
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Jun 03, 2004 2:33 am 
Hi all. I'm Snowbrushy, aka Dave. I'm looking for a partner(s) to find a lost mine called The Golden Tunnel (El 4,700) from over 100 years ago off of highway 2 (Baring). Actually Northwest Underground Explorations found it ten years ago after years of searching, but were obliged to promise the Forest Service not to disclose it's location for ten year's while they had it studied. They never did study it. And now ten years is up and I've been given a map with the location of the mine and the mill site with all the equipment, even hand tools laying around. And theres a sister mine in the same neighborhood called The Yellow Jacket which has never been found. Only a handful of people have seen The Golden Tunnel and mill site for the past 100 years and most of them went by chopper. I want to visit it. It's a peek into the past. Would prefer not to go it alone. There are no trails. This is a backpack.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kirt

Kirt
PostThu Jun 03, 2004 8:11 am 
Sounds like fun. I would like to explore it with you but life has me to busy this summer. When you do go I would love to hear what the place looked like and what the overall place was like. I look forward to your posts or a PM. Kirt

-lol-

-lol-
PostThu Jun 03, 2004 10:40 am 

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostThu Jun 03, 2004 11:21 am 
Mines in the NW
ditto.gif ditto.gif ditto.gif Mines in the NW are like fishing lakes, once word gets out on how nice they are or pristine, everyone goes there to "enjoy" them. If you find what you are looking for please keep it to yourself. Because if word gets out the next time you go up there it will be trashed, people will cart the stuff home like pack rats. There are many people-me included- that know of GREAT fishing lakes on this web site that will never tell anyone else their locations. If we did the lakes would be ruined. I've seen this happen.

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
nwMiner

nwMiner
PostThu Jun 03, 2004 6:53 pm 
You can contact one of the authors of Northwest Underground Explorations and they might give you directions. It was on TV back in 1989.Channel 7 I think. I spent 2 weeks up there back in 1990. The tunnel is up around 6000 feet I believe and there is only one way to get there. The rest is in the valley. Good luck in finding anything. Wonderful area with lots of devils club and creeping vine maple. Not much left. Lots of snub tunnels around. Open and closed. The tunnel was once called "The Hole In The Wall". And it is big. I do know that the group has never found the Yellow Jacket Claims. However, they say they do have the area narrowed down and will probably conduct a search this coming August. I know that I will not go up there again unless there is some definite proof of it's where abouts. Have fun.... smile.gif

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Jun 08, 2004 1:03 am 
Golden Tunnel & Yellow Jacket Mines
I have been given a map of the location of the Golden Tunnel Mine and mill site. I'm torn.... History is important. You people here understand that don't you. Our mountain range is important - how it was explored 100 years ago. In a perfect world this information about the mine would be shared with all to enjoy. There are people who don't want this info. made public. I'm not exactly sure why. Money? Gold? Fame? Book's? But this is 'the information age' and we have computers to share history. Most backpackers don't trash stuff, or steal stuff. They are respectful. Besides, there is nothing but a bunch of junk and overgroth at the mill site and mine tunnel above. If anyone wants to go with me let me know - I'll show you the map after one mile into the trip. And not before. Dave

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
nwMiner

nwMiner
PostTue Jun 08, 2004 9:02 am 
I think who ever gave you the map should lead you because if you think there is a trail then you are a fool. Sorry to be so blunt. That area is remote and dangerous. It won't be like day hike up Mt Si. on the freeway they call a trail. However, that is what adventure is all about; Dangerous vine maples, devils club, nagging insects, and cliffs. Have fun. smile.gif

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Jun 08, 2004 11:18 pm 
I will be contacting all who have interest in this within a week - thank you to those who have personally PM'd me I will be getting back. I believe whats going on here is ego's. It's true that channel 7 (chopper 7) went up there and filmed but only on the condition that they didn't show any view's or peak's so as to hide the location - for the forest service out of Skykomish I believe. (these are the same rangers who wouldn't tell me how to get to senic hot spring's). Ugg.... Selfish people/ or didn't want to see it get trashed. I am going to The Hole in The Wall (Golden Tunnel) and you all are welcome to come along this Summer. We can also look for the Yellow Jacket Mine. This is history. Not a fishing lake or a hot srping's. It is important. Someday your grand children may want to know this interesting history. It is a backpack at least 3 day's. It is hard backpacking but well worth it. It will be an adventure. And we will have blessing's from many people who don't want thier names mentioned here. Like I said, I'm not going to share the map until one mile up the trail. Those of you who may be worried about IT getting out can sleep tight. Trust. SnowBrushy

-lol-

-lol-
PostWed Jun 09, 2004 11:11 am 

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Jun 09, 2004 11:35 am 
So is the genie already out of the bottle or not? If Snowbrushy's got an adequate list of volunteers via PM, then deletion of the initial posts would seem to be a way to cover any telltale tracks.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Far Fig Newton

Far Fig Newton
PostWed Jun 09, 2004 11:59 am 
I've visited many mines also. Every time I bring someone to see these mines, they take something -- a bolt, a nail, a drill bit, etc. I ask them to leave them so the next person can enjoy seeing these archeological artifacts. But human nature is to grab one of the (currently many) items laying about for your collection. Put it on your mantle for a few months, stick it in a drawer... ... fast forward a generation or two... ... all those items on mantles were tossed out and those in drawers similarly lost. Multiply this by many people and after a while there is little left to enjoy. Let the thrill of discovery remain for the few hardcore mine chasers out there. Let the masses go see other mines that have already been picked clean.

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostWed Jun 09, 2004 1:55 pm 
Al S. Enne wrote:
Put it on your mantle for a few months, stick it in a drawer...
Nah, it goes more like this... Put it on your mantle for a few weeks, throw it in the trash. Then its lost forever.

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostWed Jun 09, 2004 2:38 pm 
Mine tunnel
Maybe we are getting all worked up over nothin, I don't think he'll make it. shakehead.gif It always looks easy on the map, but reality is something else. eek.gif Maps don't show devils club, slide alder, stinging nettle, bogs, ect. I'll wait for the pictures. agree.gif Oh yea! don't forget the bugs! hockeygrin.gif Just what NW Miner said. And as far as people being honest, maybe so but I gaurintee you that the only reason there is anything up there is the fact that it's a bitch to get to. I have visited a mine at a certain lake that still has everything there, when it was put in the miners hid it from view. I talked to people that went to this lake and I asked them if they went into the mine. they say "What mine" and I say oh never mind, My mistake. The stuff is still there because people don't know the mine's location.

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostWed Jun 09, 2004 3:14 pm 
My dad was once snooping around an old mine and found a case of old rotten dynamite, which was hidden off to the side. eek.gif

-lol-

-lol-
PostWed Jun 09, 2004 3:57 pm