Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt. Adams with a dog?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mountaineer ordinaire

mountaineer ordinaire
PostFri Aug 27, 2010 7:29 am 
Necessary or not, I like the Snoopy Aviator look.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
solohiker

solohiker
PostFri Aug 27, 2010 8:11 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
That is one of the coolest photos I have seen in a while! up.gif Almost brings tears to my eyes, especially given that our 10 year old Golden will have to be put down soon due to paralysis.
Thanks Chief Joe. Sorry to hear about your pup. Their life is too short, but they sure make the most of it. Savor the memories, and take care.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostFri Aug 27, 2010 8:35 am 
Yeah, sorry Chief. That's always hard. Here's an article on winter trips with dogs that has some good info and ideas for traveling in the snow. http://www.rinpr.com/documents/Dogs_RMN.pdf

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Aug 27, 2010 9:13 am 
I was with a group that took a pup up to Mt Maude. While the pup's owners went on to climb the hard way, two of us went up the easy way with the pup. He kept up. But then he figured out how to glissade dog style and wore himself out by sliding down, towards the drop off, then running back up. That was hard on his paws too. He was a snow breed of dog. I seem to recall his owner packing him down the trail as his paws got torn up. I wonder if pink paws are not as tough as black paws?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Aug 27, 2010 9:37 am 
Interesting question - I think you may be on to something - our dog that could never get her paws toughened enough for long stretches of summer snow, despite LOTS of travel, had paws that had a fair bit of pink on them.

solohiker

solohiker
PostFri Aug 27, 2010 9:43 am 
Tika's paws turn black when they are damaged (cracked) and pink when they are healthy. I have no idea if this is typical for all dogs, or even for her breed. As long as she was pounding pavement with me on a daily basis she did not have paw problems. But as she's gotten older the heat gets to her so I've scaled back on some of the things I do with her, and as a result (my interpretation anyway) her paws are more sensitive. One more thing for the OP - clip the hair between your dogs paws and lather them with vaseline. The only problem Tika had on Adams was getting chunks of ice stuck between her paws. I learned the vaseline trick later and used it on many a snowshoeing adventure with her since then - works wonders!

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
El Dooder
Green Earth Bum

El Dooder
Green Earth Bum
PostFri Aug 27, 2010 4:36 pm 
Mt Adams rock is very hard on a dog's paws, regardless of fitness level of the dog. I'd say this late in the season there's too much rock and the likelihood of injury is greater. I have done High camp on the north side of Adams with my dogs and they did well physically, but their paws took a beating on the rough lava rock.

BlameTheDogz

BlameTheDogz
PostSat Jun 27, 2020 4:46 pm 
Hi, All, DogznI, including 12 year old Lilly, had a great day yesterday and summitted Adams. Early-ish season when there is snow covering most of the trail, but it is warm and the winds low so the snow is softer—like Thursday and yesterday—pose only stamina concerns. I also left a bit later (5:30am) than I normally would have to try to ensure softer snow up higher on the ascent—and it was. I did not use crampons until after Piker’s, and it was just bc I carried them. The axe did not come out until the glissade—again, just bc I carried it. I’m not saying, though, that this is the typical case. I had been looking for an ideal window and I found it! I saw at least one other dog who summitted as well as another who must have—the pup and person were cruising as they passed us and everyone else on the way up and pup was chasing skier person down. They were fast! I would say to monitor conditions, look for a good window as described above or otherwise suits you and your dog(s) and, most importantly, know your dog(s). Please do not push your dog(s)! It is long: 12 miles and 6,700 feet of vert—with lots of snow. These dogs (husky-pit and husky) are very fit, hike nearly weekly, and have substantial experience with long snowy days in the mountains. Bring water or know where there is water to filter. They drank a lot! I also carried some of those plastic paw balloons, just in case, but the pups have pretty rugged paws. The 5 year old husky, Loki, may have had his best day ever: snow play with Lilly, me, and another dog; marmots; friendly play with skiers and glissaders; and he basically said high to and got love (and maybe treats) from just about anyone who would oblige—which was just about everyone. He must have traveled at least 1.5x what I did. Another awesome day in the mountains! For a few photos, please see: https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2020-06-28-5529859353 Cheers!

striving to stand like mountain yet flow like water, and make the dogs happy
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSat Jun 27, 2020 7:31 pm 
I got doogles for Cookie too, but, unfortunately, she immediately takes them off. If you have a dog who would wear them, I can gladly donate.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 11:01 pm 
Wow, 10 year old zombie-thread! Jack is still kicking, but he doesn't hike more than a few miles now. No more dawn to dusk mountain climbs on snow and rock for him. His younger brother doesn't have his stamina and agility and I'm not climbing and skiing every weekend any more, so not likely to be any volcano summits in Clyde's future. Here's 13-1/2 yo Jack from a few weeks ago, his younger brother Clyde (6yo) and sister Sophia (6yo) in the background.