Forum Index > Trip Reports > 2010-08-28 Tubal Cain-Marmot Pass-Dungeness Loop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 10:14 am 
Originally posted on the Peninsula Wilderness Club Forum Tubal Cain Trail to Marmot Pass to Dungeness Trail and out with a car shuttle. I originally was not going hiking on this weekend but at the last minute I heard about an overnight trip that Doug and Paul were doing at Marmot Pass. I looked at the logistics and figured I could tag along and make a day trip out of the same hike. The added bonus being that I could shuttle with them since I would be coming out via a different trailhead. The hike was 17 miles and around 3500' elevation gain. We got to the Tubal Cain trailhead around 10:00. There were four of us - Barbra, Paul, Doug and myself. We hiked most of the afternoon, stopping for a quick lunch near the Tubal Cain mine, and a couple of rest and snack breaks along the way. At Windy Pass we took another good long break and Paul found a Geocache there. Shortly after Windy Pass, we were at Marmot Pass. After a few photo oportunities we parted ways as the rest of the group was camping at Marmot and I was headed back down to the car, another 8 miles away. It was 5:00 PM when I started heading down. The rest of the hike was pretty straightforward with only one hiccup. I lost the trail at Boulder Shelter. There is a tight switchback right before the shelter at an intersection there and instead of taking it (I didn't see it) I kept going straight to the shelter. This gave me the opportunity to take a few pictures of it but then I couldn't find a trail that went down. Some nice ladies that were camped there pointed me in the right direction and I was soon on my way. The only other thing of note on the rest of the trip was that I came across the biggest, freshest pile of bear s**t I've ever seen. The bear must have been close, it looked really fresh. Hiking alone on the trail is something that I do often but I still get nervous sometimes about running into bears when I'm out there. For most of the trip descending down to the Dungeness river, I was calling out "hey bear" or singing some song out of tune to warn ursus of my presence. Once I got to the river, I wasn't as nervous so I ceased my warbling. I finally made it back to my car right at 7:30 PM. Too late for the steak I wanted but I knew the drive thru would still be open when I got to Silverdale. Fast food would have to suffice.
The "gang" at the trailhead.
The "gang" at the trailhead.
Tubal Cain Mine.
Tubal Cain Mine.
Paul on the Tubal Cain mine trail.
Paul on the Tubal Cain mine trail.
Tubal Cain trail.
Tubal Cain trail.
Buckhorn Lake trail off of the Tubal Cain trail.
Buckhorn Lake trail off of the Tubal Cain trail.
Aster
Aster
Paul on the Tubal Cain trail. The needles in the distance.
Paul on the Tubal Cain trail. The needles in the distance.
Geocache King! Paul finds a geocache at Windy Pass.
Geocache King! Paul finds a geocache at Windy Pass.
Good times, at Windy Pass.
Good times, at Windy Pass.
Doug at Windy Pass.
Doug at Windy Pass.
Paul at Windy Pass.
Paul at Windy Pass.
Wild flowers along the Tubal Cain trail.
Tubal Cain Trail. Looking down at the Dungeness river valley. Milk Creek Drainage in the distance.
Tubal Cain Trail. Looking down at the Dungeness river valley. Milk Creek Drainage in the distance.
Buckhorn Mountain from the Tubal Cain trail.
Buckhorn Mountain from the Tubal Cain trail.
Paul overlooking the Dungeness Valley from the Tubal Cain trail.
Paul overlooking the Dungeness Valley from the Tubal Cain trail.
Marmot Pass
Marmot Pass
The "gang" at Marmot Pass.
The "gang" at Marmot Pass.
Wild flowers along the Upper Dungeness Trail.
Wild flowers along the Upper Dungeness Trail.
Upper Dungeness Trail.
Upper Dungeness Trail.
Upper Dungeness Trail.
Upper Dungeness Trail.
Boulder Shelter from the Upper Dungeness Trail.
Boulder Shelter from the Upper Dungeness Trail.
Day meets night in the Milk Creek drainage of the Dungeness Valley.
Day meets night in the Milk Creek drainage of the Dungeness Valley.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
crabio

crabio
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 1:35 pm 
Looks great out there, Jay. Glad to see you're finding time to enjoy it !

strider

strider
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 2:12 pm 
If you think it's "real" fresh, maybe yes, maybe no. Appearance can be deceiving, depends on what the ursus has been eating. If there's doubt, stick a finger in it to judge the temperature. If it's warm (or hot!!) some one is nearby. Before the silly comments fly from the gallery, grow up, OK? Fingers are easy to wash ..... Nice TR.

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 2:27 pm 
I don't know how warm it was, I wasn't going there. It was really wet looking though like it just came out. Full of green un-ripe blueberries. Must have been pretty hungry, at least more so than bears usually are.

half fast

half fast
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 8:08 pm 
Nice TR and wonderful photos... up.gif up.gif Looks like you had a wonderful day in the Olys !! I have not done that trail yet... but, I am looking forward to it... hopefully I'll get to it before the snows start up. Thanks for sharing biggrin.gif ...

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
veronika

veronika
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 11:58 pm 
I have sort of a stupid question.... coming from Quilcene 833 TH, when approaching Marmot Pass, I head right (north) to the way trail that leads to Buckhorn Mountain. Correct? What is to the left (South)? The trail that heads straight up and has no directional sign at Marmot Pass. Are those significant peaks? I went Sunday and it was so foggy, I couldn't tell where the heck I was and could not find Buckhorn Mountain. The below pic was taken Sunday.
Approaching Marmot Pass from Big Quilcene TH.JPG
Approaching Marmot Pass from Big Quilcene TH.JPG

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Sep 01, 2010 7:05 am 
The path to Buckhorn goes up less than .1 miles past the Marmot Pass junction heading to the right from the pass. Pretty easy to spot and follow. Just keep looking to the right for a path going up a little ways past Marmot Pass. I too often wondered about the path going the other direction (not the marked one going to the path). It looked like a trail of sorts. I'm sure someone has followed it and can provide some info. I'd be curious too. Maybe next time I'll just follow it further.

Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostWed Sep 01, 2010 7:55 am 
If you follow the trail that goes the other way, it climbs about 200 or 300 feet to a flat bench. This is where my partners camped. A lot of people camp up there. If you ever go there, you can see the Boulder shelter from the back side and Warrior Peak is right in your face. Its really pretty up there. If you think about camping up there, be sure to bring water or at least be aware of lingering snow patches that may or may not be available.

veronika

veronika
PostWed Sep 01, 2010 8:13 am 
I did go that way (left on unnamed trail) more out of curiosity and found the flat spots and yes, the camp spots were evident. Nice little spot indeed. A little steep with some easy scree. Looked as though you could go further with a little scrambling but it was too foggy to stay safe. Thanks for the beta.

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.