Forum Index > Trail Talk > whidbey island
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
goldfin@pacbell.net

goldfin@pacbell.net
PostThu Jun 20, 2002 8:57 pm 
We're thinking of moving to Whidbey Island from California and are interested in good hikes there. We'll be coming up for a visit over the 4th of July weekend. Are there any groups hikes on July 5 or 6? Any recommendations for hikes? --Paul G

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 20, 2002 9:52 pm 
Welcome to the great Pacific Northwest if you do infact end up here. I can't say that Ive spent much time on the island so I cant help you. There should be people here who can though. Good luck. Be prepaired for rain on the 4th weekend. I cant remember a good weathered 4th in quite some time. Tom B

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pack Man

Pack Man
PostThu Jun 20, 2002 10:23 pm 
Isn't Deception Pass between Whidbey and another island? Has some short hikes. The islands are fairly populated and not "wilderness". Hey last July 4 weekend was incredible! Had a superb trip in the mountains. The previous July 4 got snowed and rained on for three days up there (same area). Pretty typical.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 20, 2002 11:10 pm 
I was working at a nuclear power plant in Sweden at the time. Guess I missed it. Whidbey is land locked via HWY 20 and yes deception pass. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jun 21, 2002 2:34 am 
There's not much on Whidbey, it is populated as previously stated. The closest really good hiking would be North Cascades National Park, about 90 mins from the N end of the island (maybe I'm underestimating) but it happens to be one of the most spectacular places this little world traveler girl has ever seen. agree.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
reststep

reststep
PostSat Jun 22, 2002 11:55 am 
There are are some hikes near Fort Ebey State Park on Whidbey Island. One goes along the beach and bluff. If you are interested in hikes off of the Island one idea would be to catch the ferry to Port Townsend and drive to the Quilcene area of the Olympic Peninsula and hike to either Mt. Townsend or Marmot Pass and Mt. Buckhorn. The views from either of these hikes are outstanding and there should be wildflowers. I think both of the hikes are in the Mountaineer Press book "100 hikes in the South Cascades and Olympics".

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir