Forum Index > Trail Talk > Speakin' of Bug Protection...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Jun 21, 2002 9:15 am 
What you use. I have been lucky in they don't bug me. hehe. Altho in Ak the skets were a different story. Not much helped. Good ol' DEET worked the best. NN cool.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostFri Jun 21, 2002 12:25 pm 
I use the military skeeter dope that I buy at a local surplus store-I think it's pretty heavy in Deet-I lather it on real good, then I carry a can of off with me for a quick spot spray from time to time-some of the places I go N. of White Pass are thick with them and this seems to work pretty well if you can function with the constant swarm of mosquiteos wishing they could bite you.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Jun 21, 2002 1:34 pm 
yikes!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 21, 2002 9:54 pm 
They dont BUG me either! I posted a pick of Hilary back there, and you can here them breaking the sound barrier in the other direction! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dave Weyrick

Dave Weyrick
PostFri Jun 21, 2002 10:12 pm 
I use DEET alone when there aren't too many and add a hednet when they get too pesky. Getting away from shore in the raft also helps. They don't seem to be able to find me when I'm out on the lake.

If I'd known ya was gonna use bait I wouldn't a brought ya!
elkendo

elkendo
PostFri Jun 21, 2002 10:30 pm 
Bug protection
Just read this in the latest issue of Men's Health Repel Lemon Eucalyptus insect repellent is natural and much better- smelling and tasting than chemicals. Or try Avon's Skin-So-Soft Original Bath Oil ($7, www.shopavon.com) - it repels mosquitos and doubles as massage oil. Just a thought. I haven't tried these yet myself. rant.gif

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostFri Jun 21, 2002 11:58 pm 
Avon Skin-so-soft's mosquito repelling effect only lasts for a very short time. It has an effective half life of 30 minutes. Mosquitos are attracted by by visual, thermal, and ofactory cues. Olfactory cues appear to be the most important. Carbon dioxide is the primary long range attractant. It can be detected by mosquitos up to 36 meters away. They also have receptors for lactic acid. Repellents work because they have a very large molecule that clogs the mosquito's olfactory receptors. They aren't repelled so much as they are confused. That's why they still hang around and they'll still land, but they won't tend to bite. The most effective widely available repellent is DEET. High concentrations are not necessary. Make sure the repellent is at least 30% DEET and it should be effective.The primary benefit to higher concentrations is longevity, but above 30% the increase in longevity of effectiveness begins to level off. Some DEET is absorbed through the skin. If you apply 100% deet you'll absorb an average of 8.4% of the dose but you get rid of in your pee fairly quickly. 200 million people use DEET annually and there are very, very few people that suffer adverse effects.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jun 22, 2002 8:01 am 
Isnt DEET the primary ingredient in AGENT ORANGE? HA! I NEVER use ANY bug stuff because DEET has another wonderful effect, it EATS thru nylon and any other material that your cool gear happens to be made of! Just think of a DEET infested sleeping bag! Where's Mr. YUCK when you need him? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Jun 22, 2002 9:03 am 
Thanks, Brian, do you know the half life of DEET right off hand? Happy Trails NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Jun 22, 2002 4:18 pm 
I knew the gist of my remarks off the top of my head, but I refreshed my memory by pulling out an article from the 1 June 1998 issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine called "Mosquitoes and Mosquito Repellents: A Clinician's Guide" that I keep sitting around in case I ever need to reference it. For the record, I don't use mosquito repellent often as I prefer long sleeves and a bug net, but I won't hesitate if the situation warrants.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Jun 22, 2002 5:39 pm 
BUGS
I'm a DEET adict. I don't have fancy nylon gear and I HATE bugs. I spray it on all over before I start and re-apply as necessary. The exception is that I use "Off" on my face. It's milder and I'm a little more comfortable with it around my eyes. As far as concentration is concerned, I can't find 30% anymore. The stuff I buy is around 23% or 24%. I also carry antihistamine. A tablet or two after the bugs get through the DEET goes a long way towards stopping the itching and swelling. Incidentally, it also works for beestings or poison ivy and poison oak, anything where the real problem is our body's defensive histamine reaction, rather than some characteristic of the bug or plant. Now, if someone will just come up with something that intimidates horseflies! :angry:

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jun 22, 2002 5:46 pm 
No sir, I dont use a damn thing! I just DEAL with it! It is a part of being outside! TB

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Jun 22, 2002 6:16 pm 
If you aren't wearing all nylon clothing you are missing out on one of the most significant advances in gear in the last decade. I wear all nylon, now. Modern nylon clothing is much more comfortable in the woods then cotton in any weather. It dries extremely quickly,and is not expensive.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Jun 22, 2002 8:26 pm 
Nah, none of the above...just light up a pipe or a cigar, that will keep them off you. Mind you, I don't smoke but do so with either the above in the high land, especailly when fishing. Of course I am of little fib here cause I do use the REI stuff, but I will tell you a pipe or a cigar works wonders, even if you don't like them <grin>. And hey, they go well with a little wine or a shot of whiskey or vodka in the evening, too...

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jun 22, 2002 11:15 pm 
Yee Haa Mc Pil ya da man! I agree totally! Although you will NOT fit in with the A-typical turbo LEFTY political correct crown HAUNTING this site! I luv ya~ Thomas B