Forum Index > Trail Talk > wild animals - what to do when you encounter them
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostWed Dec 19, 2001 8:49 am 
A while ago I read somewhere that more people are injured by dear each year than by bears. I don't think the author was talking about car accidents, either. If I recall correctly, it was people getting kicked or gored while trying to feed them. As to the Ursack, what happens to the contents when a bear tries to get inside? It seems like everything would get pulverised. That might be fine for bagged dry goods (so long as the bag(s) do not rupture, but it would be hell on your crackers wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostWed Dec 19, 2001 9:18 am 
Here is the ursack website. http://www.ursack.com/home.html

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
reststep

reststep
PostWed Dec 19, 2001 9:23 am 
I think you are right Dante. Even though the ursack stuff sacks are supposed to be bear proof it might still be a good idea to hang them unless you like oatmeal mixed in with your hot chocolate. smile.gif

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Dec 19, 2001 8:29 pm 
If you want bears, lots of them to see or photograph, go into the Olympics LaCrosse Lake Basin in Aug. or Sept. You'll see about 8-15 at one given time from your tent/camp...makes for a rather sleepless night however. But they never bothered me or my pals there. Also, another great place over there to see plenty of bears is beyond High Divide and the Catwalk on the Bailey Range Traverse...they are all around you, as well as goats and elk herds. Another great place to see wildlife in the Olympics is Muncaster Basin, though this as well as the other places I've mentioned takes considerable time hiking to, and not achieved in one day unless one is in the best of shape. Recommend: minimum of 4 days for these places, but more is really needed for maximum exploration. Lastly, I have never been bothered by bears or other wildlife in my years of travel, but there's always the first time I guess.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com

PostWed Dec 19, 2001 9:42 pm 
I think Mcpilchuck said it all when it comes to wildlife encounters. How many people have actually been bothered by bears out of all the years, nights, and miles that are represented by the participants here? Probably some, but not many. I think Dante is right on about SOME deer as well. I had a big buck parallel me as I jogged into Holden, only to have him turn and cross right in front of me. I about lost it.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Dec 19, 2001 10:15 pm 
I'm willing to bet those statistics Dante's talking about come mainly from the hunting community. To many instances where hunters approach deer they thought they'd killed, only to have the animal raise up and (AL) gore them! That time of year is really the only time men are around deer enough to make those kind of statistics. TB biggrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSat Dec 22, 2001 12:41 am 
I suspect there are more deaths caused by bees than bears. After watching idiots playing with the mule deer at Hurricane Ridge, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they make significant contributions to natural selection in genus homo.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Tsolo

Tsolo
PostThu Dec 27, 2001 7:14 pm 
I finally got around to reading this thread, so here's a cougar question. On our previous site (or maybe even back on WTA's site), there was a discussion about cougar encounters. Someone mentioned having previously heard some weird noises several times on the trail, and finally figured out that the noises were from cougars. So, in the interests of being aware of potential dangers out there, my question is what was the poster talking about? Any ideas?

PostFri Dec 28, 2001 10:22 am 
Came nose to nose with a cougar just 15 minutes up the Dickerman trail 20 yrs ago. Mostly what I saw was it's tail as it swished in my face before it turned and ran back up the trail. I had gone farther up the trail but had to go back to my car. When I returned is when I encountered the cat. He must have seen me the first time and thought I was gone? Never heard a sound, and it wouldn't seem likely that something that makes it's living on stealth would make a lot of identifiable noises. Least not when it's hungry!

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 9:28 pm 
I vaguely remember the cougar thread, too...they make a yowling sound that is almost human-I can't describe it very well but you'll know it when you hear it-it'll raise the hair on your neck like nothing else does. I've only heard it twice that I'm sure of-once up around Republic and my dad knew what it was--I was a little pup and probably wet my sleeping bag-the other time was up in the Cement Basin north of Chinook Pass-the next day I saw two cougar crossing a ridge-I suspect a mother and a very large cub.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent