Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hoodoo Peak 8464' 9/24/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostFri Sep 24, 2010 10:05 pm 
The kids didn't have school on Friday and I had been working 3 weeks without a day off, so we took off to the Eastern Cascades Thursday evening to go camping and climb a big peak. We made it to a campground on the Twisp River road in the dark but at least we were close to Hoodoo to give it a good try in the morning. We woke up early to a full moon and drove past Black Pine lake to the Libby Creek road to get to the TH. We started hiking at 7:30 up the easy trail towards Libby Lake. The kids were in great spirits because nothing is too steep here. We noticed the fall colors all around and a couple spots where it looked like snow had fallen and tried to stick.
Jayden and Ryan entering another wilderness
Jayden and Ryan entering another wilderness
fall colors
fall colors
We gained elevation slowly but soon we were in the land of the color changing larches! They are starting to turn yellow everywhere in this area. We reached the old cabin and took the side trail towards Hoodoo. We reached a pond that was surrounded by colorful trees. We headed uphill from there into the boulder fields aiming for the col by Hoodoo Peak.
kids at the cabin
kids at the cabin
Hoodoo above the larch lined lake
Hoodoo above the larch lined lake
the big boulder fields
the big boulder fields
We went through small forests of larches and big boulders to get to the col. The kids really appreciated the brightly glowing trees and told me "thanks for taking us up here" When we got to the col, the wind picked up as we could see big peaks much further to the west covered in fresh snow. We stayed a little to the right of the summit ridge to stay out of the cold wind and soon made it to the top. The boys had a lot of fun scrambling and getting to the top of another big peak.
Jayden enjoying the yellow trees
Jayden enjoying the yellow trees
view back down towards the small pond
view back down towards the small pond
the boys climbing the ridge
the boys climbing the ridge
big peaks to the west
big peaks to the west
Hoodoo summit
Hoodoo summit
We didn't stay too long on the top as it was starting to snow very lightly. We liked the great traction on the rocks coming up and wanted the same on the way down. On the way down, we ran into 2 women almost to the top, those were the only people we saw all day. We quickly made it back to the trail as the weather kept changing from sunny to cloudy to a little snow. We made it back to the TH as the clouds now covered all the mountain tops.
can you spot the little scrambler below the summit?
can you spot the little scrambler below the summit?
view to the North
view to the North
Raven Ridge
Raven Ridge
Ryan and Jayden summit shot
Ryan and Jayden summit shot
the yellow larch forest
the yellow larch forest
fall colors
fall colors
Another fun day out with my 2 boys! 12.25 miles 4200' elevation gain 7.5 hours

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Sep 25, 2010 9:57 am 
Gorgeous! I can't tell you how happy I am for those kids to have a father who is involved in their lives, and who takes them on great adventures. up.gif x10

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Sep 25, 2010 1:35 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Gorgeous! I can't tell you how happy I am for those kids to have a father who is involved in their lives, and who takes them on great adventures. up.gif x10
No pics of Libby from the ridge? X100!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSat Sep 25, 2010 3:44 pm 
+

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 am 
Magellan wrote:
Ditto to that!!! up.gif up.gif up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Sep 26, 2010 10:50 am 
Missed you guys on the trail by a day. We were up at Libby Lake on Saturday. The weather really shaped up by then. Gotta love the Sawtooths! wub.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
iron

iron
PostSun Sep 26, 2010 3:17 pm 
awesome gratitude from your kids. i can't think of ever thanking my parents (without prompting) when i was that age. they're so fast too! it's a wonderful scramble, isn't it?

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Sep 26, 2010 3:57 pm 
up.gif up.gif Looks like my kind of pk.! biggrin.gif Thanks for the TR. smile.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Sep 26, 2010 4:33 pm 
up.gif Nice pics and colors. Hoodoo always gave me the feeling that if you pulled one boulder out the whole mountain might fall.

Living in the Anthropocene
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Sep 26, 2010 9:28 pm 
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I can't wait to go back to that area, so much beautiful country to see. The boys want to make it a backpacking trip in there next time we go!

Eric Eames