Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hiking Boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
elkendo

elkendo
PostFri Jun 14, 2002 3:05 pm 
It seems like everytime I go hiking I have a terrible time with my toes jamming the front of the boot coming down the hill. I did Mt Si today and the boots I have were fine on the way up but the left boot was really jmming my toes comming back down. This is a new pair of boots (ASOLO) that I got as a trade at REI because my other boots were jammming my toes on both feet. I tied my boots as tight as I could before comming down but it was still gruelling. Anybody have any thought or ideas on the subject. Let me know

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootie Man

Bootie Man
PostFri Jun 14, 2002 3:49 pm 
Sounds like the boots are too short. I get boots a size too big for this reason. Toejam ain't no fun. If you wear two pair of socks, try taking one off on the way down. Maybe tieing them super tight cuts off circulation, swelling the feets. Also, your feet swell up on long hikes. Jardine says they swell 2 sizes after a couple weeks hiking the PCT. Maybe you can lay down at the top, with your feet propped up higher than your heart, so the swelling can go down. Or cool them in a stream. Course, there is no stream on Mt Si. Sigh.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Jun 14, 2002 11:46 pm 
I tried the Asolo's and they didn't fit my feet well. Of course everyone's feet are different. The Montrail's I bought were purrrfect. I tried both pair out on the ramp they have at REI--it's not a bad way to test them.

-lol-

-lol-
PostSat Jun 15, 2002 9:15 pm 

Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostSun Jun 16, 2002 10:15 am 
Lacing can help
Sometimes relacing your boots can help. Think of fixing the foot towards the heel when you relace & retie before heading down. When I do this, I beat my foot back in the boot by thwacking the heel against something a couple times, and then lace firmly over the arch to hold the foot back in the boot. Some folks think lacing tighter higher up is better -- I think you might find it helpful, can't hurt to try.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Jun 16, 2002 11:58 am 
Ah, yes, jamming the toes on the downhill. This has always been a problem for me and I finally cured it by using NewBalance 803's. My boots are sitting on a shelf in the backpack room in the basement now cause I don't curse the downhill part anymore. Some of us have what is called 'Hammertoe' (the toe next to the big toe is longer) and this creates a problem for us (about 10% of pop) so it helps to get a shoe that allows for this. Now before anyone flames me on using a running shoe, a lot of the PCT thru hikers are now using this brand and with good results. Those of you who have never suffered from this toe jamming experience are having the good life. With good arch supports (superfeet or orthotics), a running shoe works well if you don't carry more than a 25 lb pack. smile.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Toe Jam

Toe Jam
PostTue Jun 18, 2002 9:30 am 
Your boots are simply too short. Doesn't mater how you tie 'em, sock em, slice em or dice em. If you buy your boots at REI, they have an inclined plane you can stand on to see if your toes will jam. I spend about 10 minutes stomping up and down on that thing to be 100% sure my toes won't hit the end of the boot. I consider this check out procedure to be one of the most important things in buying a boot. It has been very effective in eliminating the old Toe Jam phenomena.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
salish

salish
PostMon Jun 24, 2002 7:31 pm 
Elkendo, Lot's of good advice here, but if you are stuck with the boots you might want to see if having them stretched will help you. I have a pair of Sundowners that Dave Page stretched for me almost two years ago and it really helped. I'm going to have him stretch them again this summer, since my feet keep getting wider. Anyway, just a thought...
elkendo wrote:
It seems like everytime I go hiking I have a terrible time with my toes jamming the front of the boot coming down the hill. I did Mt Si today and the boots I have were fine on the way up but the left boot was really jmming my toes comming back down. This is a new pair of boots (ASOLO) that I got as a trade at REI because my other boots were jammming my toes on both feet. I tied my boots as tight as I could before comming down but it was still gruelling. Anybody have any thought or ideas on the subject. Let me know

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.