Forum Index > Trip Reports > Burley Mountain Trail, Covell Creek Falls trail # 228
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Jun 08, 2002 11:55 pm 
After not being able to hike various locations in the American River area due to SNOW IN JUNE eek.gif , I took up the Covell Creek Falls / Angel Falls loop near Tower Rock instead. Being pleasantly surprised by a massively high Grant Purcell Falls at La Wis Wis, I hoped Covell Creek was running at it's peak too, or at least higher than the garden hose volume it was at last time I visited. There are two ways to access this trail, one leaves from the Cispus Learning Center, just off FR 28, 13 miles southeast of Randle, the one I took starts out at the Burley Mountain trailhead off of FR 28 itself, about 4 miles from the FR 23 / 28 intersection. The trail starts out climbing away from the road at a rather steep clip and switches back up the hill to a juntion at 1/2 mile. From here, signs direct you to Angel Falls and Covell Creek Falls (labeled just 'waterfall' on the trailsigns). I decided to get the ugly part out of the way first, so I went to Covell Creek. In the 1/2 mile from the intersection to the falls, the trail skirts almost constant cliffs of Basalt towering over 200 feet above the trail, often overhanging the trail, sprouting cities of ferns and mosses. Shading the trail on the downhill side is ubiquitous vine maples, and between the cliffs, ferns, mosses, and trees, this is a really pretty section of trail, which is further enhanced by what looks like old lava tube style caves that are slowly being dug out by freeze & thaw style cleavage. Covell Creek Falls is reached 1 mile from the road, and I guarantee you won't forget it. The trail dives behind the wall of water, or in the case of the late summer, the thin fountain-like streams coming off the 75 foot basalt face. The only full trailside views of the falls are on the far side of the creek, but the best views are from directly in front of the falls (there is an obvious boot path leading downstream, right next to the falling water). After the falls, the trail climbs again, this time MUCH steeper, not unlike the Wahkeena Creek trail in the Columbia Gorge (only not as wide or well graded). After another 1/2 mile of walking, and 200 feet of climbing, the trail levels and splits. The trail to Burley Mountain continues uphill, and Angel Falls lies downhill. Guess which way I went? suuure.gif (btw, the sign marking Angel Falls at this juntion is really cool) Another 1/4 mile downhill leads to the base of 175 foot Angel Falls. And much to my delight, there was actually water in it this time. I had visited the falls twice before, and both times there was not much more liquid than I can spit. This time, there was a rather sizable stream, pleasantly skipping down the mossy rocks. Really, one of the most attractive waterfalls I've seen in a long time. So I took a little time here (not just because my legs were liquifying). After I finished basking in the fine mist, I headed back to the car. Just after crossing Angel Falls' stream, you cross the mainstem of Covell Creek, then it's an easy, flat (my favorite part) 1/4 mile to the first trail junction, and another 1/2 mile downhill to the trailhead. Do this hike now, the creek will start shriveling very soon.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostSun Jun 09, 2002 12:54 am 
Cool sounding hike, Bryan! How is it that you get the time and money to do all these escapades? I would love to do it as often as you seem to, but school and a lack of money seem to get in the way. Gas is expensive nowadays. mad.gif

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jun 09, 2002 11:31 am 
Actually, I don't have time or money, and I don't get out nearly as often as I'd like. I think I've been out twice in the last 2 1/2 months...mainly because of school (though lack of money doesn't help either). And what makes it even harder for me is the lack of my own car right now... frown.gif

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostSun Jun 09, 2002 11:43 am 
Bryan - I just changed my account and username...I'm the same person who pm'd you last week talking about how our moms know each other and all. So that sux that you don't have a car...like I said before, I'm coming home to Redmond in a couple of weeks after my finals are over, so if you want to go do things, let me know. I drive a 93 Grand Cherokee, so it can get more places than a regular car. Of course, it eats way more gas than a regular car waah.gif . Anyway, let me know what you think. -Bernie

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Roxann

Roxann
PostWed Jun 12, 2002 8:48 pm 
Bryan Did this hike in July of last year. You are absolutely right. Angel Falls drys up in the summer months. :angry: But, walking behind the Covell Creek Falls is pretty cool. smile.gif Highly reccomend this hike.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Jun 24, 2002 8:16 pm