Forum Index > Trip Reports > Oct 6-8, 2010 Cutthroat Pass larchin' and scrambling
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Oct 09, 2010 9:36 am 
There's already been many reports on the area, and the Tower Mountain climb of late. So this will serve mostly as an update on conditions. Surprisingly, the larches passed their peak quite quickly. The coming Monday holiday may be the last opportunity to view larches in decent weather near WA Pass. Tuesday I hiked in and set up camp at Cutthroat Pass in the shelter of a cluster of subalpine firs and larches. There is good water only a couple hundred yards off the pass to the west. In the evening I walked up Point 7552' for great 360 degree views. Though few entries have been logged into the register, there were lots of boot tracks on top. It is worth the extra effort from the pass.
Larch and berry
Larch and berry
Pt 7552 walk up
Pt 7552 walk up
Golden Horn and tomorrow's objective
Golden Horn and tomorrow's objective
Seldon visited peak
Seldon visited peak
Cutthroat pass
Cutthroat pass
Sunset at pass
Sunset at pass
Silver Star glow
Silver Star glow
Last light
Last light
On Thursday I enjoyed a pleasant sunrise and waited for donb and his son Scott to arrive for a scramble of Tower Mountain 8444'. Such a beautiful morning for a Crest Trail scamper to the base of the climb.
Morning glow on Frisco
Morning glow on Frisco
Increasing light
Increasing light
Sun hits the pass
Sun hits the pass
Black, Repulse, Fisher, Lil' J (?), Graybeard
Black, Repulse, Fisher, Lil' J (?), Graybeard
Only thing I'll add to the abundance of reports is: 1. climb scree to the big (left to right) ledge that passes the big cave. 2. take the ledge to the unmistakable west gully. 3. climb enjoyable water polished downsloping granite in the gully to the base of the white wall (obvious and froms a big "V" of white rock) 4. at its base leave the white wall on well cairned ledges all the way right to a SW ridge. 5. One move onto a solid fin on the ridge and scramble to the top Mostly class 3 with maybe a couple unexposed 4th class moves. Most the looseness is on the various ledges. The main gully is solid with occassional pebbles and ball bearings on holds and ledges.
Scott headed for the "cave ledge"
Scott headed for the "cave ledge"
Hardy, Mesahchie, Kimtah, Cosho
Hardy, Mesahchie, Kimtah, Cosho
First look at "west gullly"
First look at "west gullly"
Don starting up
1 label
Don starting up
Scott enjoying the climbing
Scott enjoying the climbing
Base of the "white wall"
Base of the "white wall"
Historic Cairn
Historic Cairn
Big views
Big views
On the descent, when back at the main gully work skiers left to avoid any tricky downclimbing. Skiers left of the gully is a long series of treads, ledges, and short downclimbs. It is easy to follow intuitively, even when a route appears hidden from a distance.
Descending the many ledges
Descending the many ledges
Clean downclimbing
Clean downclimbing
Following tread and ledges far left
Following tread and ledges far left
Last bit of gully downclimbing
Last bit of gully downclimbing
The "big cave" and ledge
The "big cave" and ledge
Last look at west gully
Last look at west gully
a bit past peak
a bit past peak
Back at Granite Pass on the PCT, I said goodbye to Don and Scott and walked up Point 6820'. Not a big destination, an insignificant bump with prominence only a lowly peakbagger could truly appreciate. But, as always, good views on top.
Just another bump with prominence
Just another bump with prominence
Tower and Pt. 6820
Tower and Pt. 6820
Hinkhouse Peak and Big Kangaroo
Hinkhouse Peak and Big Kangaroo
Then it was back to camp to watch the incoming storm.
Red and granite
Red and granite
Colors and Incoming clouds
Colors and Incoming clouds
Ominous clouds entering
Ominous clouds entering
Morning dew, rain, and fog
Morning dew, rain, and fog
Unfortunately, I woke to rain, fog, and wind so I gave up on a scramble of Porcupine Peak on the way out. Instead it was Huevos Ranceheros breakfast at the Duck in Winthrop.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Oct 09, 2010 9:57 am 
up.gif Nice pics and beta shots !

Living in the Anthropocene
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSat Oct 09, 2010 11:54 am 
Awesome John. I love that area. Now, get those skis ready. Hopefully I'll see you in a month or so for some turns.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Oct 09, 2010 1:54 pm 
Looks like a fun time with the old man and Scott biggrin.gif I placed a label on this one:
Don starting up
1 label
Don starting up

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Oct 09, 2010 4:59 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Looks like a fun time with the old man and Scott biggrin.gif I placed a label on this one:
Don starting up
1 label
Don starting up
At least I didn't post a shot of Don stemming the chimney, Steve! Can't wait to ski with you Randy, it's been too long. Hope the family is doing great. Here's the great big "congratulations" I owe you! John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.