Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pics from 1975. Bailey Range, Martins Park, Rustler, Godkin
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lotus54

Lotus54
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 7:52 am 
I thought I'd post up some old pictures, I'm working on scanning my old slides, and those of a longtime hiking buddy. these may take awhile to post, since it will take me some time to scan them (plus I'm figuring the best method with my equipment). these are from a trip we took in Sept 1975. up Past Deer Lake, Across Bailey Range to Queets Basin, down to Chicago, up to low divide, Martins Park. Into the Rustler, over Godkin Pass (well, that's what I've always called it) Along upper Godkin, into Pyrites, up to Enchanted Valley and back down the East Fork. I'm just starting to scan, so not yet in order at all. Lone Tree from the shoulder of Snagtooth.
The other direction
ragamuffin, Urchin on left
Queets basin
Queets basin. Check out Humes Glacier
More to follow. Mark

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 11:14 am 
Nice, can't wait to see more! Welcome to the forum Mark wave.gif

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 11:53 am 
Great photos, Lotus54, and welcome to the site. I also am eagerly awaiting more.

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 3:17 pm 
I'll do it right and start from the beginning. September, 1975. Just off another 10 day hike, but this is more interesting. 4 of us, leaving from Sol Duc trailhead. (Jack taking the picture) Notice none of that sissy modern hiking gear. Well...guess it wasn't Trapper Nelson packs either. I still prefer frame packs for trails- a lot cooler. No tents, but we had graduated from plastic tarps to a nylon one quite recently.
Bogachiel Peak
I guess I can relate to this picture below a lot more now than back then... I'm getting close to Jack's age in this picture now. He had gone across the Bailey Range with Billy Everette back when he was 20 and Billy Everette was the age he is in this picture.
Just East of Bogie Peak (back before all those darn rules) 1st night camp
Mark

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 4:25 pm 
holy time warp, Lotus54! 1975? you do know it's the 21st century, like 2010 tongue.gif
sue, ken, mark
sue, ken, mark
that long haired blond with the green pack is kind of cute! biggrin.gif okay.......who is Jack?

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Lotus54

Lotus54
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 4:46 pm 
bcfc53 wrote:
holy time warp, Lotus54! 1975? you do know it's the 21st century, like 2010 tongue.gif
Why rush into things?
Quote:
okay.......who is Jack?
Jack started with the Park in 1938, he was still working at the time of this trip, but retired the next year. he said there was too much paperwork! He is the guy that went on all the trails with a wheel, and posted mile signs. ( a long time ago). I grew up with his son and learned a LOT about the hills from him. Mark

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 4:53 pm 
Beautiful sunrise the next day.
. . Buzzed by Castle in Cat. great shape then!
. . . west side of CatWalk. there was very little traffic then, although WAY more than when I went across in 1968, the Mountaineers published the route and...
. . . The East side of the Catwalk, it would be interesting to see current photo from the same spot.
Mark

huron

huron
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 4:55 pm 
Is she holding a hatchet? There must be a frying pan in one of those packs somewhere too. Keep the photos coming!

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 5:00 pm 
Huron wrote:
Is she holding a hatchet? There must be a frying pan in one of those packs somewhere too. Keep the photos coming!
an Axe. Jack never went on a trip without one. might need to cut something from the trail (plus it makes getting a fire started in the rain a LOT easier). Oh yeah, frying pan for sure! No stove though. Just used renewable resources... Mark

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 5:39 pm 
article about Jack Nattinger photo of Mark (L54) and Ken (Jack's son) taken October 16, 2010

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
silence

silence
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 6:13 pm 
yeah .. keep em coming ... totally enjoying you guys should check out my friend thomas' "vintage" scans here .. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tellytom/sets/72057594061977699/

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Phil

Phil
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 8:51 pm 
Excellent, I love these old pics threads. Makes me want to seek out my own.

Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 9:19 pm 
Lovin' the vintage pics!

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
Lotus54

Lotus54
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 9:51 pm 
Glad to hear some are enjoying these. Certainly brings back some memories for me. Here is Chrisler's shelter at 'Leven Bull. We stumbled on it in '68 and even stayed here. A year or so before this trip an avalanche hit and and this was what was left. Before it was in pretty good shape. Might be fun to post some other of Herb's old cabins/shelters. I know I have 'The Poaching Cabin', Flapjacks, Creme lake at least (plus Castle in Cat I posted). I also have one of Dr Balls cabin when it was a sort of standing...
Mark

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 9:56 pm 
Very cool. up.gif