Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pics from 1975. Bailey Range, Martins Park, Rustler, Godkin
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jd_hiker

jd_hiker
PostTue Oct 19, 2010 9:11 am 
Love these vintage photos. Keep them coming.

I have 11 essentials, the 10 plus an extra camera battery. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jd_hiker/ http://jdhascup.wordpress.com http://jdhascup.500px.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lotus54

Lotus54
PostWed Oct 20, 2010 6:14 pm 
After staying at 'Leven Bull, we contoured along until right above Creme Lake. Then an easy drop down and an ice cold swim. I never have found a good route up toward the upper basin that wasn't really brushy, last time I just stayed high (there is an excellent high route). We stayed in the Upper Creme Lake Basin. Upper basin:
. . Billy Everett

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostWed Oct 20, 2010 9:22 pm 
Just had to include to morning pics at Upper Cream Lake Basin. check out the gear (I just recently tossed some, still have others. Ken said he wore that jacket just the other day!
Mark

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostThu Oct 21, 2010 7:35 pm 
Left Upper Cream Lake Basin, went up between Ferry and Snagtooth. Here is the pic from the shoulder of Snagtooth looking at Lone tree. (repost, but just to keep in order)
Dropped to Lone tree (looking for Crisler's cache but couldn't find it), up the rocks next to the snow and down along Childs.
Overlooking Queets Basin (really looking more toward D-R pass)-next one looking toward Humes Glacier.
. . Ken, Sue & I stayed in Queets basin (taking a dip), Jack had to head back to town. Perhaps sewer problems again (long story).
I wouldn't recommend going to Queets Basin. Horrible place... Mark

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Oct 21, 2010 7:49 pm 
where are your bear canisters? you didn't need it then.....so, maybe we don't need it now eek.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
trestle

trestle
PostThu Oct 21, 2010 8:18 pm 
Thanks for sharing Mark, these are incredible. up.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Lotus54

Lotus54
PostThu Oct 21, 2010 8:36 pm 
bcfc53 wrote:
where are your bear canisters? you didn't need it then.....so, maybe we don't need it now eek.gif
yeah, no stinkin' canisters. suuure.gif Better not ask my opinion on that... It has been pretty fun scanning these and recalling the trip. I haven't gotten any of Ken's pics yet. Mark

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostThu Oct 21, 2010 8:44 pm 
We hung out at Queets basin (found an old cache). Had a great sunrise:
Then head up over Dodwell-Rickson pass, down the Snow Finger. Back then it was all snow, and quite long. To Chicago, up to Low Divide. We stayed at Low Divide (Park was doing Heli ops the next day so we bailed as quickly as possible). Buzzed up to Martins Park. I recall the first time here (I think '68) there were tons of frogs in this little lake, so we called it 'Frog Lake'.

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostFri Oct 22, 2010 8:07 pm 
Continuing up Martins Park
And I believe this is 'Rustler pass' going over into the Rustler. . . We didn't know of anyone that had gone from here to the Godkin, but heard something about the top of the ridge being 'a bit hairy' when the snow is gone. So we thought to try staying high, but below the peaks and cliffs. Yeah, sure. LOTS of cliffs!

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostFri Oct 22, 2010 9:36 pm 
So we dropped down toward the Rustler. Came across the old trail (even then had been abandoned for a LONG time). Followed the old trail, then hit a recent avalanche area. Really bad traveling. Sue disappeared at one point. We were 15+ feet above the ground quite often climbing through the blowdown- she fell through. Found a great elk route heading back up- so we followed that to Godkin Pass. This was right before the 'pass' Camped out there.

silence

silence
PostSat Oct 23, 2010 6:48 am 
just so you know mark .. i'm still with you here .. looking at your fun pix and story each time i get notice .. thx for taking the time and sharing ...

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
bdrkayaker

bdrkayaker
PostSat Oct 23, 2010 8:57 am 
This is awesome - I am very much enjoying these old pictures! Thanks for posting them. up.gif

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
updukoutpost

updukoutpost
PostSat Oct 23, 2010 9:36 am 
Thank you very much for sharing your slides. Many of us will never forget Jack and your slides present him (and family) in the most wonderful tribute!

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostSat Oct 23, 2010 6:56 pm 
I'm glad you guys are enjoying them. I've known Ken (& Jack ) since I was two. I grew up Kitty corner from them. I just have a few more of mine for this trip, I haven't gotten Ken's yet. after staying at 'Godkin Pass' we contoured along the Godkin, staying pretty high. Popped over into Pyrites, down the upper part a bit, then hopped onto the old trail. Pretty easy. after hitting the east Fork Quinault trail, we went up to Enchanted Valley and stayed at the Chalet. I took some pics there, but I didn't take any before we got there that day. I don't recall if ken did or not (hope he did). Pics to follow. Mark

Popcorn

Popcorn
PostSat Oct 23, 2010 8:19 pm 
September 1975 was a very warm and sunny month. I did MRNP's Wonderland Trail from Sep. 10-19th--nine days of sun and few bugs at that time of year. Flowers were still in bloom in the meadows and the blueberries were very ripe--especially at Sunset Park. My avatar photo is of Mystic Lake in Sep 1975. (a scanned Kodachrome slide).