Forum Index > Trail Talk > Thank You Veterans
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NWtrax

NWtrax
PostWed Nov 10, 2010 10:19 pm 
Please, everyone go out and enjoy the Nat'l Parks, Nat'l Forests, as well as many Nat'l Wildlife Refuges for FREE tomorrow (today). If you are so lucky, take a minute to consider the sacrifice made by so many to protect our freedoms and this great land.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu Nov 11, 2010 3:45 am 
Also called Armistice Day and Remembrance Day in a good part of the rest of the world. Would that it were "the war to end all wars" as quoted by Woodrow Wilson. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armistice_Day Sadly, this quote rings closer to reality: War is like love; it always finds a way - Bertolt Brecht

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Nov 11, 2010 6:24 am 
Yes! Thanks to all who have served our country both in war and peace. RichP is likely correct that war is with us forever as people do not seem to learn or remember the horrors. My life has spanned WWII, Korea, Vietnam (veteran of that one), Iraq and Afghanistan. I was not old enough to fully realize the devastation and loss of WWll but I sure did for all the others (whether we called them wars or not).

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Nov 11, 2010 10:09 am 
This world is and has always been ruled by the agressive use of force! Thank you for the kind words.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
JimL

JimL
PostThu Nov 11, 2010 10:13 am 
To all veterans, thank you for your service to the country and for those still serving we pray you return home safe and sound.

MarkJ

MarkJ
PostThu Nov 11, 2010 11:06 am 
To the veterans, thank you! [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/markdj/4602572589/]
Honoring the Fallen
Honoring the Fallen

mgd

mgd
PostThu Nov 11, 2010 1:23 pm 
Veterans Day, celebrated in other countries as Armistice Day denotes the ending of World War I which occurred at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 with the signing of the Armistice. This particular date and time was selected in remembrance of the Feast of the Soldier and later Bishop, St. Martin of Tours (c. 316 – 397). November 11 had traditionally served as a day of signing peace treaties in honor of Saint Martin.

Badger

Badger
PostThu Nov 11, 2010 1:35 pm 
How does one Thank those who have ensured my freedom? Words seem inadequate when you consider the sacrifices many of them have made and the wounds they will live with for the rest of their lives. all so we can live in freedom. So, today I fly my flag and raise a salute to you. May your days be filled with peace and the comfort of loving family and friends. Know that the price you paid has been recognized and is felt in the heart of every American. Thank you.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Nov 11, 2010 1:39 pm 
A long time ago. hockeygrin.gif
July 4 1984 home on leave.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Cascade Hunter

Cascade Hunter
PostThu Nov 11, 2010 2:37 pm 
My best friend and I, military police at NAS Whidbey Island around 2002. I'm on the right.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Nov 11, 2010 2:55 pm 

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
mepokeu

mepokeu
PostThu Nov 11, 2010 5:15 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
A long time ago. hockeygrin.gif
You're wearing the FORSCOM patch tongue.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Nov 11, 2010 5:47 pm 
That's right. I was in a flight detachment from the Presidio San Francisco. This was mine for 3.5 years.

montezuma

montezuma
PostThu Nov 11, 2010 6:22 pm 
Thank you all. It was an honor to serve to protect the freedoms that we enjoy. Unfortunately, there will always be those who feel that they can steal the life we live that has been paid for in blood and lives, NOT!!!

awaygirl

awaygirl
PostThu Nov 11, 2010 8:25 pm 
There is no way to adequately thank those men and women, or their families, who have sacrificed so much to serve in our country's armed forces. But for what it's worth - the sacrifices you and your families make (largely the time away from your loved ones, and the moments you have to miss in the lives of your children and spouses) - are acknowledged and valued by your fellow countrymen. I may disagree with the politics and way that our military is used around the world by the leaders of our government, but the soldiers themselves are invaluable. Thank you for making the choice to serve and protect our country - both in and outside of the borders.

Whether or not it is clear to you, the universe is unfolding as it should. My flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26271329@N00/