Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Word of the Day
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostFri Nov 26, 2010 10:18 am 
As the list gets longer, it'll be useful to see what words have already been posted (if you'd rather not duplicate). It may be interesting to see what kinds of words have been used, too. To that end, I've started this alphabetical list. When you post a new word to the thread, please also add it here. agree.gif Alpenglow amativeness apropos autodidact bivouac buckminsterfullerene-esque chthonic denouement enigmatic evanescent ginormous harf hemidemisemiquaver hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia iconoclast inception metrosexual molybdenum oxymoron paradigm paradox penultimate peregrinating petulant quaff quibble Quibbles and Bits recumbent refudiate troll If the list gets too cumbersome, somebody can divide it up. Anna Mae

Wiki summmary last edited by reststep on Wed May 09, 2012 6:54 am (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Nov 21, 2010 4:06 pm 
Petulant.......Definition of petulant 1 : insolent or rude in speech or behavior 2 : characterized by temporary or capricious ill humor : peevish — pet·u·lant·ly adverb Examples of petulant, Her tone was petulant and angry.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Nov 22, 2010 2:43 am 
Enigmatic....someone recently referred to me as enigmatic and I had to look up the meaning. Hard to understand: having a quality of mystery and ambiguity and so difficult to understand or interpret. I think it's a Gemini thing.....

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Nov 22, 2010 8:29 am 
paradigm Since the 1960's, the philosophical and theoretical framework of a scientific school or discipline within which theories, laws, and generalizations and the experiments performed in support of them are formulated; broadly : a philosophical or theoretical framework of any kind. (from Merriam-Webster) Prior to the 1960's, it's use was restricted to grammar: an example of a conjugation or declension showing a word in all its inflectional forms; or, an outstandingly clear or typical example or archetype. (op.cit.) It is now used most commonly in the phrase 'paradigm shift'. The best example of that is probably the change from Newtonian physics (one paradigm) to the physics of relativity (a different paradigm). It is frequently misused (as in advertising) to suggest that some small, cosmetic change is actually something significantly new.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Nov 23, 2010 2:58 am 
APROPOS......so very fitting, at the right time; to the purpose; opportunely.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Nov 23, 2010 11:10 am 
Quaff quaff (kwaaff) - The revolting burp one has just before vomit spews from one's esophagus, at which point one knows there is no turning back (Here come da puke).

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Nov 23, 2010 11:29 am 
Errrrr ...... Cowbell ........ that's a pretty revolting twist on a perfectly good word. quaff means to drink deeply, or swiftly.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
touron

touron
PostTue Nov 23, 2010 11:50 am 
Quibbles and Bits Quibbles and Bits (Qwibls and Bitz) - A dog food so incredibly tasty that the dogs will argue even over the teeny tiny crumbs "I took my dog to Snow Lake, but wished I'd left the Quibbles and Bits behind. All the dogs on the trail wanted our Q&B."

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Nov 24, 2010 7:42 pm 
METROSEXUAL......... You might be "metrosexual" if: 1. You just can't walk past a Banana Republic store without making a purchase. 2. You own 20 pairs of shoes, half a dozen pairs of sunglasses, just as many watches and you carry a man-purse. 3. You see a stylist instead of a barber, because barbers don't do highlights. 4. You can make her lamb shanks and risotto for dinner and Eggs Benedict for breakfast... all from scratch. 5. You only wear Calvin Klein boxer-briefs. 6. You shave more than just your face. You also exfoliate and moisturize. 7. You would never, ever own a pickup truck. 8. You can't imagine a day without hair styling products. 9. You'd rather drink wine than beer... but you'll find out what estate and vintage first. 10. Despite being flattered (even proud) that gay guys hit on you, you still find the thought of actually getting intimate with another man truly repulsive. "Some people think he's gay, but he's actually metrosexual."

veronika

veronika
PostWed Nov 24, 2010 7:57 pm 
troll One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
touron

touron
PostWed Nov 24, 2010 8:39 pm 
evanescent adjective 1. Tending to fade from sight; vanishing

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Nov 26, 2010 4:23 am 
HiT wrote:
troll One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.
Trolling can be quite complex, this author wrote a 280 page book on the subject.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Nov 26, 2010 4:40 am 
I had never heard of Alpenglow until I started reading this forum, 'tis truly a beautiful sight. Alpenglow (from German: Alpenglühen) is an optical phenomenon. When the Sun is just below the horizon, a horizontal red glowing band can sometimes be observed on the opposite horizon. Alpenglow is easiest to observe when mountains are illuminated but can also be observed when the sky is illuminated through backscattering. Since the Sun is below the horizon, there is no direct path for the light to reach the mountain. Instead, light reflects off airborne snow, water, or ice particles low in the atmosphere. It is this circumstance that separates a normal sunrise or sunset from alpenglow. Although the term may be loosely applied to any sunrise or sunset light seen on the mountains, true alpenglow is not direct sunlight and is only observed after sunset or before sunrise.
Alpenglow? on 7FJ
Alpenglow? on 7FJ
Alpenglow on 3 Fingers Mt..
Alpenglow on 3 Fingers Mt..

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostFri Nov 26, 2010 5:33 am 
"harf" : to puke/throw up/yak/blow chunkah...."harf" is a portmanteau word...a new word morphed from two old words. The two old words are "heave" and "barf". The only really cool think about "harf" is that I witnessed its birth about 10 years ago when it escaped from a young woman's mouth in my high school class. up.gif up.gif up.gif Tom

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Nov 26, 2010 9:13 am 
"hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia" The fear of long words. It is literally the hippopotamus- and monster-related fear of very long words.