Forum Index > Trail Talk > So where did you go this weekend?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostTue Jun 25, 2002 11:16 am 
Hey Newbie, tell us about the changes at Mineral City. Were there any artifacts 35 years ago? Could you drive all the way? Was there a trail to Pearsall Pass back then?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Jun 25, 2002 2:13 pm 
The City Bus
What is the dope on the city bus which is way up the old Silver Creek road/trail?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostTue Jun 25, 2002 3:06 pm 
McP How was the snow up there? There is a couple places i wanted to check out to see things at up by Headle pass. Ice Girl

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Jun 26, 2002 5:56 am 
There were quite a few artifacts back then as did most of the old mining areas. Used to find old opium pipes, crucibles, bottles and assorted trash. One of the reasons I went to these places. There is a house on the left side that I somewhat remember walking past back then. I had a 53 Ford for a car so the road may have been passable to something other than what I was driving. Iffin a truck could have made it then the bus probably made it. I don't remember the bus being there at all. I doubt I would have missed it as it's too close to the road. Sorry but I know nothing about it. I can't remember the slide areas being there either. I can't really say how much has changed as I don't really remember a lot of details. Kinda like Troublesome. I was there but...a lot of water under the bridge since then. As far as the snow goes there was very little and it was located under the trees. All the creeks were running with a good flow to them. From what I saw the snow level could be around the 4000'-4500' mark? Silver Tip had quite a bit yet. Pearsall Pass. There was nothing I can remember altho there may have been and I was unaware. I would have spent most of my time in the main areas. All in all it was a very slow & good hike. I have some pics to post when I figure out how to link a loooong URL to fototime. Tom can help please? NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
dances with rocks

dances with rocks
PostWed Jun 26, 2002 4:15 pm 
The bus exists! I've seen it. It's either on or near the Vandalia property -- and that mine is still active, apparently. I have a picture of it but not digital. Look for it before you get to Mineral City (on the right side of the old road) but since it serves some purpose to those that own the property, I wouldn't advise knocking on the door. That must have been a wild ride BTW.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Jun 26, 2002 9:23 pm 
Old Bus
I have seen the bus also. It reminded me of Krakauer's book "Into the Wild". It a true story recapturing the events leading up to a young man's death in Alaska.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Jun 27, 2002 5:14 am 
Some photos. they may or may not be in sequence. Pictures NN smile.gif (edited url)

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Damian

Damian
PostThu Jun 27, 2002 8:05 am 
The bus is awesome. Quite a sight at first when you come around the bend and spot it. Reminds me of a scene from Beneath the Planet of the Apes. Looks like about early 50's era vintage. The inside is crudely modified with camping and sleeping accommodations. Judging by the size of nearby trees, it has been there a long, long time.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostThu Jun 27, 2002 4:45 pm 
I'll try to find my photo of that Silver Creek bus....I remember clearly having hiked up there just weeks after reading "Into the Wild" and man seeing that bus spooked me BIG time. I wasn't about to poke around it. A quick photo and I stomped off. I don't even think I looked at it hiking back out! It's a very cool backcountry treasure to see for certain.

Damian

Damian
PostFri Jun 28, 2002 8:18 am 
Alan- NN has a pic of the bus on his post above. I had similar emotions when I first saw it, but I cannot resist exploring forbidden places, and the bus was classic in this regard. Check it out next time. Don't let those two ugly guys with the crooked teeth scare you. And ignore that pesky banjo music in the background....