Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Word of the Day
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostFri Nov 26, 2010 10:18 am 
As the list gets longer, it'll be useful to see what words have already been posted (if you'd rather not duplicate). It may be interesting to see what kinds of words have been used, too. To that end, I've started this alphabetical list. When you post a new word to the thread, please also add it here. agree.gif Alpenglow amativeness apropos autodidact bivouac buckminsterfullerene-esque chthonic denouement enigmatic evanescent ginormous harf hemidemisemiquaver hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia iconoclast inception metrosexual molybdenum oxymoron paradigm paradox penultimate peregrinating petulant quaff quibble Quibbles and Bits recumbent refudiate troll If the list gets too cumbersome, somebody can divide it up. Anna Mae

Wiki summmary last edited by reststep on Wed May 09, 2012 6:54 am (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Nov 26, 2010 7:53 pm 
Amativeness..... stands for the relating to or inclined toward love, especially sexual love; amorous. Amativeness is also a concept of phrenology.[1]It is the faculty concerned with physical love and sexual attraction. When it is strongly developed, it may represent carnality and licentiousness. When underdeveloped: coldness, frigidity, indifference towards the opposite sex.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Nov 27, 2010 4:43 am 
Blivet(n): Cowboy slang...10 pounds of manure in a 5 pound bag. From cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses . It's also really fun to say. Go ahead, call the local bully a "blivet" and see what happens. Tom

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Nov 27, 2010 10:31 am 
molybdenum - Element 42 in the periodic table, molybdenum is a metallic element that resembles chromium and tungsten in many properties, is used especially in strengthening and hardening steel, and is a trace element in plant and animal metabolism. (from Merriam-Webster) I know. It's not a very interesting word, not very useful on Twitter, but I just like saying it. ...... "Molybdenum". biggrin.gif You've probably heard of molybdenum-steel. You may not have come across Molybdenum Falls. But you can see it. agree.gif Well, no, you probably can't. ...... It's on the trail from Mineral City to Poodle Dog Pass, but it's right below where the trail (old road) crosses Molybdenum Creek (a tributary of Silver Creek), and it's just about impossible to get into position to see. Maybe that's why neither Sore Feet nor aywolfpac have included it on their waterfall websites.
Molybdenum Falls, in the shadow where the arrow's pointing. - (inverted Google Earth screen capture)
Molybdenum Falls, in the shadow where the arrow's pointing. - (inverted Google Earth screen capture)
Silver Creek crosses the picture, Molybdenum Creek comes in from the top (south). ......................................................................... Here's the Flash Earth version, covering more territory. If you look at it 'full screen', Silver Lake is at the upper right and the site of Mineral City at the lower left. Molybdenum Falls would be just about dead center. http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=47.956306&lon=-121.418755&z=15&r=9&src=yh Molybdenum. You probably had some for breakfast. dizzy.gif Hey Bryan (anybody). What do you do to get those Flash Earth links to display the target picture?

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostSat Nov 27, 2010 1:06 pm 
Scrooge wrote:
Maybe that's why neither Sore Feet nor aywolfpac have included it on their waterfall websites.
Is this a challenge? I'll go down there right now if I have to. Wait! Where is this again?

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Nov 27, 2010 2:54 pm 
I was going to reserve the challenge for the waterfall thread. ................................ Still am. ............................... lol.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
awaygirl

awaygirl
PostSat Nov 27, 2010 7:01 pm 
Trollette: One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue. Instigator: –verb (used with object), -gat·ed, -gat·ing. 1. To cause by incitement; foment: to instigate a quarrel. 2. To urge, provoke, or incite to some action or course: to instigate the people to revolt.

Whether or not it is clear to you, the universe is unfolding as it should. My flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26271329@N00/
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostSat Nov 27, 2010 7:32 pm 
I came across a trollete doing her toilette in a twee trailer park whilst I was toodling across the tundra. My words failed me. I was tood-la-dooed!

don't believe everything you think
panachronic

panachronic
PostWed Dec 08, 2010 2:46 am 
THINGS THAT ARE DIFFICULT TO SAY WHEN DRUNK: 1. Innovative 2. Preliminary 3. Proliferation 4. Cinnamon THINGS THAT ARE VERY DIFFICULT TO SAY WHEN DRUNK: 1. Specificity 2. Anti-constitutionalistically 3. Passive-aggressive disorder 4. Transubstantiate THINGS THAT ARE DOWNRIGHT IMPOSSIBLE TO SAY WHEN DRUNK: 1. Thanks, but I don't want to have sex. 2. Nope, no more booze for me! 3. Sorry, but you're not really my type. 4. Taco Bell? No thanks, I'm not hungry. 5. Good evening, officer. Isn't it lovely out tonight? 6. Oh, I couldn't! No one wants to hear me sing karaoke. 7. I'm not interested in fighting you. 8. Thank you, but I won't make any attempt to dance, I have no coordination. I'd hate to look like a fool! 9. Where is the nearest bathroom? I refuse to pee in this parking lot or on the side of the road. 10. I must be going home now, as I have to work in the morning.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Dec 08, 2010 9:29 am 
I can go either way, but in my opinion it would not be a big deal if someone posted a word later down in this thread that was already used way earlier on. Basically what I'm saying is I don't think the wiki is needed, although an interesting idea.

awaygirl

awaygirl
PostThu Dec 09, 2010 10:39 pm 
twitterpated 1)to be completely enamored with someone/something. 2) the flighty exciting feeling you get when you think about/see the object of your affection. 3) romantically excited (i.e.: aroused) 4) the ever increasing acceleration of heartbeat and body temperature as a result of being engulfed amidst the exhilaration and joy of being/having a romantic entity in someone's life. When he smiled at her, the rush of warm, fuzzy, excited sensations that filled her made her realize she was completely twitterpated with this man. twitterpated 1)to be completely enamored with someone/something. 2) the flighty exciting feeling you get when you think about/see the object of your affection. 3) romantically excited (i.e.: aroused) 4) the ever increasing acceleration of heartbeat and body temperature as a result of being engulfed amidst the exhilaration and joy of being/having a romantic entity in someone's life. When he smiled at her, the rush of warm, fuzzy, excited sensations that filled her made her realize she was completely twitterpated with this man.

Whether or not it is clear to you, the universe is unfolding as it should. My flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26271329@N00/
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostThu Dec 09, 2010 10:48 pm 
Refudiate rolleyes.gif

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Dec 09, 2010 11:26 pm 
Enervate en·er·vate /v. ˈɛnərˌveɪt; adj. ɪˈnɜrvɪt/ Show Spelled [v. en-er-veyt; adj. ih-nur-vit] Show IPA verb, -vat·ed, -vat·ing, adjective –verb (used with object) 1.to deprive of force or strength; destroy the vigor of; weaken. —Synonyms 1. enfeeble, debilitate, sap, exhaust. "The work we did today was so tedius and mind numbing that it was thoroughly enervating."

touron

touron
PostSat Mar 03, 2012 10:06 pm 
peregrinating: "to travel especiallyl on foot" I was talking with my sister on the phone tonight and she said ~"...so the next time you are peregrinating around..." And of course I stopped the conversation right there in its tracks and told her to prove that she knew the definition of such a high-falutin' word which had obviouly only been employed to demonstrate sisterly superiority. For shame! shakehead.gif hmmm.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
RichP

RichP
PostSun Mar 04, 2012 12:45 am 
touron wrote:
peregrinating: "to travel especiallyl on foot"
The English word "pilgrim" comes from the Latin peregrinus. The peregrine falcon lives in many parts of the world.

touron

touron
PostMon Mar 05, 2012 10:15 pm 
RichP wrote:
touron wrote:
peregrinating: "to travel especiallyl on foot"
The English word "pilgrim" comes from the Latin peregrinus. The peregrine falcon lives in many parts of the world.
Thanks RichP. It looks like it had an interesting usage during Roman times. Back to surfing, er I mean peregrinating around the internet.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.