Forum Index > Gear Talk > Aarn Packs?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Dec 06, 2010 12:35 pm 
Anyone use one? Linkey Already strap my DSLR case to my sternum strap. I do notice a balance difference have the when i have the camera strapped in front vs in the pack. The idea of hanging more stuff on the front is appealing.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 pm 
My problem is that I need to be able to see where I'm putting my feet!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Dec 06, 2010 1:03 pm 
I wonder if it would create new problems? Such as the inability to lean forward or bend over, or making you remove your pack to get over blowdowns that you wouldn't have had to remove your standard pack for. I do like the improved balance aspect, and it makes the gear in front way more accessible. Overall it's an interesting concept. The only way to know for sure would be to try one out on a hiking trip. That's one reason I shop at REI for most of my gear, so I can try new things risk-free.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Dec 06, 2010 1:06 pm 
lol.gif With my camera strapped to my sternum strap i cannot see my feet, its rare for it to be a problem for me even when on a bushwhack.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Dec 06, 2010 1:13 pm 
Slugman wrote:
The only way to know for sure would be to try one out on a hiking trip. That's one reason I shop at REI for most of my gear, so I can try new things risk-free.
Yea, have to agree on that one there. I'm quire wary of purchasing anything on line that i would wear.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Dec 06, 2010 2:07 pm 
We ran into a guy wearing one of these packs near Cat Peak a few years ago. We wondered whether the front packs might get on his way on the catwalk later that day.

freesolophoto

freesolophoto
PostThu Dec 09, 2010 3:29 pm 
I've been using the AARN Photo balance pockets since the prototypes. I'm loving the waterproof pouches for each camera, lens, flash etc.. The balance is a great benefit to adventure imaging. Also, there is spacing between the pockets so I can see my feet! Enjoy...

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Dec 10, 2010 1:15 am 
Well I ordered a Peak Aspiration. According to FED Ex tracking estimated for delivery on Saturday.

Franco

Franco
PostFri Dec 10, 2010 1:43 pm 
Yes you can see your feet. That is if you can see them without.....
The only time those pockets would get in your way is when you would be rubbing against rocks scrambling. However even then it still depends on the size of your stomach bones. BTW, keep in mind that they have a waterproof removable liner inside. That is part of the weight. Franco

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Dec 11, 2010 2:41 pm 
Fed Ex delivered. biggrin.gif First impressions: Already spent some time stuffing gear in various pockets. The Expedition pockets are HUGE lol.gif I can fit my hammock, tarp\with doors. (Warbonnet 1.7oz double layer / Warbonnet superfly) and my under quilt in the other....with room to spare. ykm.gif Silly as it may be to pack it that way, i already see it as a benefit when packing around a bear can. With the front pocket over stuffed i can still see my feet, although vision is a bit restricted. It is certainly a better method than strapping a SLR bag in the middle of the chest. The pack is comfortable without the front pockets, with the pockets it just gets better. up.gif up.gif
Aarn Peak Aspiration with Expedition Balance Pockets
Aarn Peak Aspiration with Expedition Balance Pockets

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Dec 11, 2010 3:35 pm 
How many cubes on that HS?

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Dec 11, 2010 5:02 pm 
The Back pack by it's self is 45 liters (2746 cu in) The add on pockets on the front are 18L for the pair (1098 ci) There are other smaller front pockets available. So it's like a 60 something liter pack with the add front and on packs. Way more than i need! Both the backpack and front pockets come with (removable) dry bag liners. Not that in intend on trying, but ya probably go for a swim and not get your gear wet . lol.gif Also, the front pockets come with a set a straps to convert them into a day pack. After i get some use out of it i'm gonna need to post a thorough review. It has some unique features.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 4:43 pm 
I must say the Aarn site makes the packs look more than a little intriguing. No dimensions on the site for the front pockets, other than a capacity? I am wondering about these just as a day pack and for carrying a DSLR with just a single long lens attached or maybe with one on and one extra. Definitely NOT the camera body and 4 separate lens they hint at in the "photographer pouches". One of these days I might actually get a DSLR, but carrying it has always been a major stopping point for getting one for hiking. No place to actually see and try these on? That is a tough hurdle. It can be the best pack in the world, but if it doesn't fit you specifically, and your stuff, its no good.

friluftsliv
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 5:41 pm 
I agree it is a tough hurdle. One of the reasons i did not bite on the photo pockets. I just went with capacity. lol.gif In the furture i may order some photo pockets, but for now i'll stick the big ones. I can tell you this. I had to stuff my Big Agnes insulated air core mattress in the pocket i place my DSLR in to keep from loosing it in the pocket. agree.gif Here's some videos i dug up on youtube. Beyond having pockets in the front, the suspenison is unique.

DanaMac

DanaMac
PostSat Dec 18, 2010 9:14 am 
Hey folks. If you have any questions about the Aarn system, I would be more than happy to answer them. I am part of the US distribution team for the packs. I won't be a big intrusive poster here, but am always willing to help you out. Both Freesolo and Franco that posted above have been longtime Aarn users. And Freesolo is actually based out of the NW, so he has lots of experience in your area. Thanks Dana