Forum Index > Trail Talk > Klymit X-frame pad
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Dec 16, 2010 11:02 pm 
I've been testing some new gear lately and just spent a night on this pad. For years I've eschewed full length sleeping pads (except snow) because of the bulk and weight. I decided to try this X-frame as I was thinking of cutting up a couple of closed cell foam pads using the same concept when I ran across this product. After one night, I think I'm going to fit it into my kit. I've been sleeping on a minimal 4.5 oz half length pad for some time now, and depending on the underlying surface, my hips sometimes end up sore, as I have 3 positions.....back and sides (for backpacking, you with the naughty mind). Under my legs and feet I usually put what minimal pack I have left...in other words, practically nothing. Now I'm thinking that for 10.1 ozs and very small size packed (coke can), I may bite the bullet and use this, especially since I paid a hundred bucks for it. It comes with a bulb used to inflate, as the literature says breath alone can inflate the pad up to about 2 psi, but attaching the bulb you can go up to 4 to 5 psi. What this means is a 200+ lb dude can sleep on his side and not bottom out the pad on the hips or shoulders. Now I'm not 200 lbs but I spent the night on this cushy full length pad and it lives up to the hype. Cush where you need it, not where you don't. Now I'm gonna have to get one for my daughter. note: testing 4 oz bivy bag under the pad that uses breathable cuben fiber....initial impression is promising!
bivy and pad
bivy and pad

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hermes

hermes
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 12:49 am 
Looks promising - is it symmetric head-to-toe? BREATHABLE CUBEN!!!! Where did you get that????

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 12:52 am 
I have seen this at the OR show and am intrigued. Please keep us posted on your findings.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 1:28 pm 
hermes wrote:
Looks promising - is it symmetric head-to-toe? BREATHABLE CUBEN!!!! Where did you get that????
check the link, the pattern is body mapped to provide support where you need it. As for the cuben, it's a prototype, you will probably see some products made out of this by summer.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 1:40 pm 
Interesting. Problem is i have tried 3\4 length pads, just don't work for me, my legs freeze. I'm guessing that thing is not an insulated inflatable. Be nice to see an insulated version as not to have cold spots from the pad in colder weather.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 1:52 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
Interesting. Problem is i have tried 3\4 length pads, just don't work for me, my legs freeze. I'm guessing that thing is not an insulated inflatable. Be nice to see an insulated version as not to have cold spots from the pad in colder weather.
This is not a 3/4 pad, it's full length. The pad is capable of accepting the company's argon gas cannisters, supposedly providing enough insulation for winter camping. Otherwise, you are right...it is not an insulated inflatable. I had a some cold spots underneath with 36 degree temperatures. I plan on using this as a summer pad.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 2:47 pm 
Hmmmm, that might be a good choice for the John Muir trail hike I have planned this next summer. Yes, keep us posted up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 2:50 pm 
I like the concept, put pad exactly where it is needed, and no where else. hmmm.gif

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 8:06 pm 
Argon insulation? That's sexy up.gif

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 8:21 pm 
Ive been on the ultra light freak side, and I do hike light. With that said, if I have to resort to a pad like that, I think Ill stop over-nighting it!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Todd Ler

Todd Ler
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 10:37 pm 
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 10:51 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Ive been on the ultra light freak side, and I do hike light.
Ultra light freak? When did you dump that boat anchor of a camera and lenses Pinocchio?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 10:54 pm 
Tom wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Ive been on the ultra light freak side, and I do hike light.
Ultra light freak? When did you dump that boat anchor of a camera and lenses Pinocchio?
My pack weighs around 17 pounds for over night. The camera hangs on my chest. So there, ya wise guy. moon.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 11:03 pm 
I think Joe has long established that he does not consider anything pack weight unless it is INSIDE the pack.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Dec 17, 2010 11:07 pm 
Allison wrote:
I think Joe has long established that he does not consider anything pack weight unless it is INSIDE the pack.
Thank you. When I take off my pack the camera isnt there! So there! moon.gif