Forum Index > Photography Talk > DSLR recommendations?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dazza

dazza
PostSun Jun 20, 2004 5:47 pm 
I second the recommedations for the G series cameras or the powershot S60 (see below). They have a lot of the capabilities of the DSLRs (manual settings mainly) with much less weight and bulk. If you are just starting out in photography a DSLR kit will probably be overkill in terms of cost AND weight. The only real reason to pick up a DSLR over a smaller all-in-one would be if you need the lens options because you want to shoot wider than 24mm or you want to zoom right in on a subject for shooting wildlife. I own a DSLR for the first reason. When I shoot landscapes, it's usually wide angle landscapes. I recently switched from Canon to Nikon for this very reason. After 5 years with Canon I bought a Nikon D70 just for their 12-24mm (18-36mm equivalent in 35mm terms) DX lens. I also recently bought a Canon S60 which I have been very impressed with. I take it whenever conditions might be really wet (it sits in an Aloksak) or more often when I cannot find the energy or motivation to haul the weight of the DSLR plus lens(es). Sadly I find the latter is more common these days as I really like to go light. To see what I mean, here are the weight comparisons of the 4 camera's I have owned since having digitals scales (plus some lens weights): Canon 10D DSLR body with battery and CF card: 30.7 oz Canon 17-35mm f2.8 lens: 19.7 oz Total camera setup: 50.4 oz Canon EOS-3 35mm SLR with Battery and film: 29.8 oz Canon 17-35mm f2.8 lens: 19.7 oz Total camera setup: 49.5 oz Nikon D70 DSLR with batter and CF card: 24.0 oz Nikon 12-24mm DX lens: 17.8 oz Total camera setup: 41.8 oz Canon S60 with battery and CF card: 10.2 oz ..as you can see, taking an SLR can mean over 4x the weight!
D70 shot in Moran State Park 1/4 second @f8 at 21mm (35mm equiv) zoom.
D70 shot in Moran State Park 1/4 second @f8 at 21mm (35mm equiv) zoom.
S60 shot at Snoqualmie Lake 1/60th second @ 28mm (35mm equiv) zoom.
S60 shot at Snoqualmie Lake 1/60th second @ 28mm (35mm equiv) zoom.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Andrew

Andrew
PostSun Jun 20, 2004 8:07 pm 
Dazza, do you plan on selling your E0S-3 any time soon? angel.gif

dazza

dazza
PostMon Jun 21, 2004 12:47 am 
I will be selling it - but in the UK. I am going to be in the UK for a year starting this August so I am selling a bunch of camera gear over there basically to cover the cost of the shipping all my other stuff... Camera gear in the UK pretty much goes for the same amount in pounds as it does in dollars over here.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Jun 21, 2004 2:24 am 
Dazza, I'm curious about the D70. Do you feel that the lack of an ISO100 setting is detremental to slow exposure shots (water, etc)? I like the features of the D70, and would be willing to plop down the extra cash for it, but the fact that the 300D does ISO100 makes it just as appealing.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon Jun 21, 2004 7:36 am 
I can't see why a 100 vs 200 ISO setting can be that huge of a factor. Sure, a couple of stops matters...but if things are that borderline then you should have a solid ND filter already in tow since ISO 100 will not be good enough at times also. The D100 is ISO 200 and I have yet had it bother me. Yes, I have had to take extra time on occasion and done exactly what I mentioned above. But that's what photography is about anyhow: time smile.gif So if you were to ask me (normally not even my friends as me for much advice so that's a mute point! biggrin.gif ) I would say not to let the ISO speed stuff get in the way of looking at the rest of the picture. The D70 is a very grand camera and if I could go bust up my D100 I'd go buy one today to replace it.

Rjudd

Rjudd
PostMon Jun 21, 2004 9:10 pm 
I think Dazza has it right -- down to the ounce! I use a 10D and lenses for a lot of landscape pix, and it's fabulous. But it's too heavy and bulky for long hikes. Recently picked up a Powershot S60, and so far find it as good or better than advertised. Full manual controls, wide range of ISO and WB settings, totally pocketable, all-metal case -- and essentially the same electronics as Canon DSLRs. Eats batteries fast if the lcd is on. Like most of its kind. Get a spare battery. It's a functional little beast and would be great for hiking/backpacking trips. And then there's the main reason I chose it over others: It has a 28mm equivalent wide end -- required, I think, for decent landscapes. Bonus gearhead factor: Has an available full underwater housing for when you're diving, skiing or kayaking.

dazza

dazza
PostTue Jun 22, 2004 8:48 am 
I haven't found the need for ISO 100 since I usually use a polarizing filter when doing waterfalls - which cuts down the light intake. I must confess though that it did concern me when I first got the D70. Also, beware reviews comparing the Canon 10D to the Nikon D70 as often they only compare the cameras at 200 ISO or above. The canon at 100 ISO is IMHO marginally better than the Nikon at 200 (but it's really close). Also, the 10D gets better battery life than the N70 due to it's CMOS sensor. I have verified this with my own experience of the 2 cameras. That said, I usually end up carrying at least 2 batteries no matter what camera I take. The 28mm on the S60 is the reason I chose it. I refused to buy a point and shoot digital until their lenses became useful (without adapters!). 28mm was the maximum focal lenth for wide-angles for me. One other bonus to the S60 not mentioned is it's video capability. It can do up to 3 mins of filiming in the lowest resolution (30 secs in the highest). I thought I'd never use it but it turns out to be really nice to be able to grab some footage when doing action sports. You'd really kick yourself for not getting some video footage the next time you bump in to a sasquatch out there ;-).

dazza

dazza
PostTue Jun 22, 2004 8:52 am 
Just to clarify my above post: The point I was trying to make about comparing the 2 cameras is that the 10D potentially can give a better picture than the D70. When used at the same ISOs there really isn't much between the two. ..there that's better.

hikermike

hikermike
PostSun Jun 27, 2004 12:58 am 
Cameras don't take good pictures, people do. They just help the quality and a lot of cameras have better quality than we need. Get a decent camera and practice on technique

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 27, 2004 7:56 am 
Quote:
Cameras don't take good pictures, people do.
Not so fast Mike. If you follow the lefts "Gun rule" then cameras DO take pictures. So that as they say is that. And not something else. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln