Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hikes, Backpacking, Shoeshoeing..... - Sun is in the forcast...where should you
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu May 09, 2002 4:45 pm 
The weather conditions were excellent on the east side this past weekend--except for the full on wind blasts! By the way, here is a dirtyface: Gorgeous George

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu May 09, 2002 5:41 pm 
The further east you go the less snow there is. I was at 4600' on Horse Lake Mtn, just west of Wenatchee, last Saturday, and there was no snow at the summit. Looking south from there, at Mission Ridge, the snow level looked to be about the same, 4500' or a little higher. Obviously, things on this side are a little different. The snow on the Cascade front was down to about 1000' last Tuesday. Go east, young man. Go east. agree.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
janders

janders
PostThu May 09, 2002 5:45 pm 
Quote:
Hmm, snow line at 3100' are you sure? Well, perhaps on that side of the pass but still sounds optimistic.
According to the Ranger Station in Leavenworth, as of this Monday the snow level was 3100' at Ingalls Creek. Guess that could have pretty easily changed in the last few days, though.

"Oh dang!" - Captain Amazing
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu May 09, 2002 7:39 pm 
This Saturday I will be climbing Mt. St. Helens. Have to be back in Seattle for Mother's Day. The weather promises to be wonderful.

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostFri May 10, 2002 8:26 am 
If baseball season ends tragically this weekend, and it's got a good chance...I'll get up on the Yakima Skyline Rim and maybe get a chance to wet a line somewhere up in the Tieton.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostFri May 10, 2002 8:20 pm 
Don't know for sure where to yet, making phone calls re: possible company as I type. Aimin' for a quickie tomorrow and maybe a bigger day Sunday. Sure looks good.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri May 10, 2002 10:17 pm 
If Cayuse Pass is open, I may spend one day this weekend at MRNP. The other will be spent on the North Cascades Highway since it's open now as well. Which I do which day depends on how early I can drag myself out of bed. It's a lot farther to the NCH so I'llhave to get up early for good morning light. Tough to do for me. tongue.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun May 12, 2002 8:12 pm 
Hey Ice Girl, you ever get up to Persis this weekend? A couple other hikers and I headed up to Persis today but found no conclusive evidence of "NW Nessie" other than some snowshoe tracks. We got by without snowshoes just fine but an ice axe was sure nice to have. Crampons would have been handy in some spots too (but we didn't bring em). Also, as far as the washout eek.gif, even Backpacker Joe wouldn't be able to get around that one in one of his monster trucks tongue.gif. However, there is a "back road" one can presumably take to get up to the mudpit (which is not a mudpit at this time) and the switchback rubberlegs indicated was grazed* by the slide. This "back road" connects with the washed out road after the washout(s) at around 2400'. *grazed means it wasn't taken down with the slide - there is a ton of side debris blocking the road at that point and no vehicle is going to get around it anytime soon, if ever.

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostSun May 12, 2002 10:42 pm 
Well, i was up there, not quite as high as you. But i started late. So i desided just to do a scope out trip, just to check it out, plus sometimes i think i am wimpier than i am, i went up the washout pretty good. I have heard of that other rd. Even been in the area, (maybe closer than i think). You come in out of Duval, or the old 6200, all the way to the T, by the Tolt reservour. i have a pic of the washout but i haven't quite figured out how to put them in here yet. Ice Girl

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jul 01, 2002 2:25 pm 
No snow left at Stuart lake, and it's 5000'. Colchuck is open, and the hillside above Eightmile to Caroline looked pretty bare as well, as of Sat/Sun 6/29.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers