Forum Index > Pacific NW History > what does this old mining term mean?
Previous :: Next Topic  
frankm3

frankm3

PostWed Jun 30, 2004 9:09 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
When I was in Butte,  M O N T A N A  several weeks ago I picked up this cool old Butte/ mining ad.  It has this term in it that I am unfamiliar with; I was hoping one of you all could help me figure out what it means....

WTH does "Tap 'er light" mean?

Here is a scan of the ad....

Frank

butte ad.jpg
butte ad.jpg
 butte ad.jpg (76 KB)
File downloaded or viewed 393 time(s)

View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
KenM

KenM

PostWed Jun 30, 2004 9:44 am 
Miners in the Butte copper mines used to say "tap 'er light" to advise against tapping too heavily and causing rockslides in the mines.  Later, it was adopted as a substitute for "take it easy" or "goodbye."
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Lead Dog

Lead Dog

PostWed Jun 30, 2004 10:16 am 
lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif ditto.gif
frankm3

frankm3

PostWed Jun 30, 2004 1:19 pm 
Thanks guys; I wound up googling it after I posted that and came up with a similar answer to the one you all offered.

That's got to be about the 'manliest' salutation I've come across thus far..."OK, I'll see you tomorrow, 'till then don't get blown up, or crushed in a rockslide"   eek.gif   up.gif

I thought that was a pretty neat ad; if I was living in old-timey days, I would have wanted to 'ride in' and check out Butte!  I still think it's a neat place even now!

Did you guys ever see this photo of me from back in my prospectin' days?

Frank

frank and prospector.gif
frank and prospector.gif
 frank and prospector.gif (72 KB)
File downloaded or viewed 385 time(s)

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel

PostWed Jun 30, 2004 4:27 pm 
Who's the old geezer riding you? Why does Jamie Moyer keep getting into your pictures??? confused.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
frankm3

frankm3

PostThu Jul 01, 2004 11:09 am 
I had no idea that Jamie Moyer and I share a resemblence; that's too funny!  This wouldn't be a particularly good year to try and cash in on that, though probably, huh?    When Kim (Quark) and I were at the Mariners game the other night, it was country western night.  Each time a Mariner came up to bat their photo appeared with a really outlandish cowboy hat.  Ichiro's was the funniest, it had a huge feather doo-dad with a small skull of some kind on it, they were hysterical.

Of course...they LOST...

I actually am kind of jealous of that old coot on the mule, in some regards, though.  It would be just AWESOME to have a mule to carry all your stuff!  And, as an added bonus, when you go up hills, you can just hold onto their tail and get a free ride!
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Pacific NW History > what does this old mining term mean?
Jump to:   
Search this topic: