Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Myth of the Multiverse?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Feb 01, 2011 11:54 pm 
The holy grail of present-day theoretical physics is the so-called “final theory,” or “theory of everything,” which will encompass all of the forces and “particles” which comprise the universe(s). At present the main candidate is superstring theory, which has yielded the concept of the multiverse. Of course, this is of no particular (no pun intended) interest for a forum concerned with the stewardship of the natural beauty of the pacific northwest, so why post this here? Well, it so happens, by some serendipitous coincidence, that this forum has attracted a number of posters with an apparently innate talent for cutting-edge science. This is evidenced, for example, in the “global warming” thread on this forum where these posters, who have no formal training in any of the scientific disciplines underlying the study of global warming, have nonetheless provided startling insights into the phenomenon and its alleged anthropomorphic origin, and have, in fact, been able to point out possible grievous errors, if not outright fraud, in the methodology and/or conclusions of the thousands of scientists who are working on the question. While global warming is of some interest at this particular point in space/time, in this particular universe, it pales in significance relative to the implications of formulating the theory of everything. I therefore propose that those posters (they know who they are) not waste their prodigious talents on the relatively trivial question of global warming, but rather focus them on the final theory, starting, perhaps, with a critique of superstring theory.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostWed Feb 02, 2011 12:09 am 
The criticism I have been reading is that the theory and speculation are much to far ahead of experimentation. What if there is a quicker way to get to Snow Lake using hidden dimensions? Would you go that way, or take the scenic route?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Feb 02, 2011 12:30 am 
Will there be off-leash dogs in the hidden dimensions? Will there be orange flagging to guide the way?

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostWed Feb 02, 2011 12:37 am 
touron wrote:
What if there is a quicker way to get to Snow Lake using hidden dimensions? Would you go that way, or take the scenic route?
Since there may be an infinite number of Snow Lakes, I'd assume that the route to some of them must be more scenic than our mundane one. But I'm not the expert, I'll leave it up to the cutting-edge science guys.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Anna Mae
or may not

Anna Mae
or may not
PostWed Feb 02, 2011 12:45 am 
At least there won't be any argument about whether or not the multiverse theory is anthropogenic. hmmm.gif Anna Mae

Against stupidity ...... the gods themselves ...... contend in vain.
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Feb 02, 2011 1:00 am 
So that baggy of dog poo discarded along the trail really dose just disappear all on it's own? No magic poo fairy?

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostWed Feb 02, 2011 7:43 am 
CC wrote:
The holy grail of present-day theoretical physics is the so-called “final theory,” or “theory of everything,” which will encompass all of the forces and “particles” which comprise the universe(s). At present the main candidate is superstring theory, which has yielded the concept of the multiverse.
Slight correction... string theory is a theory in physics that attempts to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity. It's a contender for the theory of everything describing the known fundamental forces and matter in a single mathematically complete system. Now if I could just find that Brane I left in the 6th dimension under the Calabi–Yau space....

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed Feb 02, 2011 8:09 am 
I think you are talking about “The Force”? Per Obi-Wan Kenobi, a Jedi master: "The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together." He also said: "The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded." Which I think we see a lot of today…

Z
Erratic

Z
Erratic
PostFri Feb 04, 2011 11:59 am 
Anna Mae wrote:
At least there won't be any argument about whether or not the multiverse theory is anthropogenic.
On which side are you not arguing? I'll take the other. We can't let the world down by making it appear that NWHikers might actually be unable to argue about any subject whatsoever! rant.gif Regarding the theory of everything, it all comes down to promiscuous electrons. winksmile.gif

"Einstein stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, is as a blind man stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of sound" 1979 They don't make years like they used to.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Feb 04, 2011 1:09 pm 
CC wrote:
"global warming" thread.......and have, in fact, been able to point out possible grievous errors, if not outright fraud, in the methodology and/or conclusions of the thousands of scientists who are working on the question.
In fact, that is false. The only fraud in the global warming debate is outright and obvious fraud perpetrated by the deniers. Every time a flake of snow falls, some crackpot claims there is no global warming. That is outright fraud, since GW theory doesn't say that it should never snow anywhere at any time. It is morally wrong in my opinion to slander the thousands of scientists working on this issue by claiming fraud. That is a crazy conspiracy theory. You may also be the first person here to sidetrack their own thread with off-topic spray. doh.gif PS: the people arguing against GW in our GW thread are far more informed and have far more integrity than those arguing against it general. My comments above are not directed at the people posting on this website, but are intended to apply to those who constantly claim every cold snap anywhere is an argument against GW (which in my opinion is the vast majority of GW deniers).

bopack

bopack
PostFri Feb 04, 2011 4:48 pm 
People talk about what they want to talk about CC. In a multi-versed, people can talk about String Theory and Global Warming at the same time. You seem to have chosen a side in the GW debate yet your arguments for determining what people should and should not talk about are lame. How is it you came to be on one side or the other of the GW debate? You are a pretty funny guy CC. You have been convinced by people "who have no formal training in any of the scientific disciplines underlying the study of global warming" that there is no problem with Global Warming! Yeah, let's talk about the theory of everything now that we're past Global Warming! dizzy.gif cascade curmudgeon actually said," This is evidenced, for example, in the “global warming” thread on this forum where these posters, who have no formal training in any of the scientific disciplines underlying the study of global warming, have nonetheless provided startling insights into the phenomenon and its alleged anthropomorphic origin, and have, in fact, been able to point out possible grievous errors, if not outright fraud, in the methodology and/or conclusions of the thousands of scientists who are working on the question."

It's not guilt, it's empathy
El Dooder
Green Earth Bum

El Dooder
Green Earth Bum
PostFri Feb 04, 2011 5:04 pm 

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostMon Feb 07, 2011 12:49 am 
Slugman and bopack. My bait caught the wrong fauna here, I was fishing for goats and dogs. It's called sarcasm. My point being that yes, anybody can talk about anything they want, but when it comes to cutting edge science, whether it's string theory or climate modeling, unless you happen to be hanging out about ten standard deviations out on the IQ distribution, you need to have expertise in the area, (by which I mean PHD, postdoc, and peer-reviewed pubs) in order that your arguments have any relevance. But for some reason, people who presumably wouldn't think of voicing an opinion on some other cutting edge topic in science where they have no expertise, like superstring theory, when it comes to global warming suddenly seem to think they are Richard Feynman. Obviously this is primarily the deniers, and obviously it is primarily ideology driven, but to a scientist (or at least to this scientist, who is not expert in any of the areas underlying climate modeling, and therefor knows enough to shut up when it comes to global warming), this whole global warming "debate" by laymen, as exemplified by the 275-page thread on this forum, is both asinine and irritating.

bopack

bopack
PostMon Feb 07, 2011 1:24 am 
Quite a few people have learned quite a lot from the thread. You think it's time to stop educating the masses because they're not up to your standards? Do you seriously think you aren't qualified to comment or come up with something to contribute? You actually think that this was all in vane? That's pathetic man. You insult everyone here. You are assinine and irritating - who cares what side you're on. Go stroke your IQ somewhere else.

It's not guilt, it's empathy
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Feb 07, 2011 6:52 am 
CC- I came to the same conclusion long ago. Best to just think of this as some hikers sitting around a campfire BSing. As far as I know there is only one poster here that has done real research. Just do not take it seriously and you will be ok. It is of course asinine and irritating but so is BS around a campfire, or stoners talking about "wow have you ever noticed your fingers". Most of the people here are ok if you have ever met or hiked with them even some of those you complain of.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn