Type E
PostTue Feb 08, 2011 10:13 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue Feb 08, 2011 11:19 pm 
Had lots of fun today. It was great to meet you guys! 6 Northwest hikers is a big group. I'm glad nobody was actually lost.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 12:04 am 
That is a big tuesday group. up.gif It would have been nice to have everyone stick together, but I know how it goes.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 1:31 am 
What a trip!!!!!!!!! Aside being the largest group I've been on the trail with in quite a while, we were also the most varied in age too biggrin.gif I don't have much more to add to what Type E wrote up on his website other than to say that coming down was truly an eventful experience, and took much longer than it should have.... Once down at the CCC Road myself and another could not find the overgrown spur road that would take us to the MFK road shakehead.gif It was great to meet Likes2ThruHike and BellowFellow! Didn't get to talk with ThruHike much but I did get to know more about Bellow and some of the cool trips he's done out here. Here's a bit of eye candy...
Starting up through the trees
Starting up through the trees
Rays of light
Rays of light
Quartz Mt summit with a bit o' ridge
Quartz Mt summit with a bit o' ridge
Pack and Grey Kitty
Pack and Grey Kitty
Route
Route
Snow and trees
Snow and trees

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 5:31 am 
Nice! Do you recall approx what elevation you hit the snowline there?

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 6:44 am 
Nice job! Good team! agree.gif Impressive NWH showing for a Tuesday! up.gif I hope the experience didn't cause the G-Man to vaporize. rolleyes.gif I like your gray kitty, Bryan! clown.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 10:39 am 
We need to state that these off trail travels aren't for everyone.Viewers see the TR photos and think,"look at the pictures (or video),it doesn't look that bad"....Unfortunately the pictures do not do a justice.They don't replace all of the slips,trips and falls going down steep ass wet duff at dusk while trying to keep on an undefined route.And they can't replace the feeling of being soaked by sweat at the TH while anxiously awaiting the arrival of others of the group who broke up into smaller groups on the way down. (Read these with understanding we all are of different fitness+ experience levels.) Although at 235+ pounds there's no way in hell I could keep up with the waify youngsters on climbs,although I did arrive a just a few minutes behind...But own the way down,well gravity was in my favor. embarassedlaugh.gif Great to finally meet other 'famous NWh'ers.Lots of fun,I love that sh##!!! Next week?

belowfellow
Transplant

belowfellow
Transplant
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 11:34 am 
It was great to meet all of you today. I am looking forward to more trips with you folks in the future. Sign me up for next week.

"Wilderness is bliss"
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 12:55 pm 
I as well had a great time yesterday although Bryan and I were stuck out there longer than planned. Great to meet those of you that I had not hiked with before. Im in for next week too.
Quartz and Bessequartz 2-8-10 006
Quartz and Bessequartz 2-8-10 006
Quartz and Bessequartz 2-8-10 007
Quartz and Bessequartz 2-8-10 007
Quartz Mountain
Quartz Mountain

Type E

Type E
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 1:17 pm 
like2thruhike wrote:
We need to state that these off trail travels aren't for everyone.Viewers see the TR photos and think,"look at the pictures (or video),it doesn't look that bad"....Unfortunately the pictures do not do a justice.They don't replace all of the slips,trips and falls going down steep ass wet duff at dusk while trying to keep on an undefined route.And they can't replace the feeling of being soaked by sweat at the TH while anxiously awaiting the arrival of others of the group who broke up into smaller groups on the way down. (Read these with understanding we all are of different fitness+ experience levels.) Although at 235+ pounds there's no way in hell I could keep up with the waify youngsters on climbs,although I did arrive a just a few minutes behind...But own the way down,well gravity was in my favor. embarassedlaugh.gif Great to finally meet other 'famous NWh'ers.Lots of fun,I love that sh##!!! Next week?
This is a point that I have been thinking about lately and I am glad that Bruce was able to articulate it so well. Last week I turned around because I didn't feel like it would be safe or wise to return in the dark. For me it was an easy choice and not one that I felt like I should impose on the rest of the group so I happily descended solo. I was thinking of many recent reports by some on this site that have been coming out well after dark. I don't mean to challenge those who do this because it is apparent that they are completely comfortable in doing so and thus I don't have issue with that. What I think is not helpful is the many who read these reports and think that it is an easy endeavor to travel off trail and not be concerned if it the trip runs out of daylight. With the age of the Internet these trips are read by many more people and many of whom have very limited experience and abilties. I have always hoped that my trips will inspire the way trips I have read have inspired me. The downside of this exposure is the chance that we all may inspire people who are not prepared for what they are attempting. Sure would have been nice to have today's sunshine yesterday. E

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 5:32 pm 
Looked like fun. up.gif up.gif Hopefully my trip will rival yours tomorrow!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 10:51 pm 
Both TypeE and Brian mention the 4641' Quartz Mountain summit. But TypeE's map shows the red line going to the high point marked as "Quartz Mountain", not the 4641' summit. I haven't been up there and understand that at least in summer it's a fairly exposed rocky ridge out to the 4641' peak. I'd expect a knife edge ridge or at least cornices in the the winter. Any thoughts?

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 10:57 pm 
Puzzlr, from what I am told, the topo maps incorrectly label the higest point of Quartz. I've also read that the point further out that is labeled 4641' is actually lower than the summit of Quartz. I cannot confirm or deny that since the views we encountered were not good at all.

Type E

Type E
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 11:31 pm 
4641' is lower for sure, thankfully because coming from our route it looked very burly. There is a great report from Yana last year were they summitted 4641'

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 11:54 pm 
Then what is the true elevation of Quartz? Peakbagger even shows it at 4641'