Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tarpiscan - Cape Horn Loop 4/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 7:21 pm 
No, maybe some guys from Wenatchee Outdoors, Steve and I tried to follow an old path a few years back a long the edge of the face, but it became impassable so we tried to go up higher until we hit a constriction so we turned around. About a minute later a massive rock slide came through the constriction and the area we were standing with boulders / talus rolling by us. The decision to turn around was hard, but it shows how random life is. We don't usually turn around, but we did. Stranger yet we talk about going back. I'm liking the kayak idea you had.

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Feb 23, 2011 12:47 pm 
Those wildflower pics are getting me a little anxious about now.

Living in the Anthropocene
Dansjolseth

Dansjolseth
PostMon Mar 29, 2021 1:04 pm 
Son and I made the same trip in 2015. It's definitely worthwhile with great blooms and scenery.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Mar 30, 2021 7:49 am 
Not sure if Wildernessed is still posting. First thing to know: there are no longer any routes in and out of the Tarpiscan since the 2014 flood, it is all cross country. Also, the road no longer goes to the old parking lot, it is now washed out just below the SWA headquarters. Second thing to know: the area is stunningly beautiful in spring bloom and you will have it all to yourself. I recommend using satellite images because you will want to find the lower road that Wildernessed took. It is no longer visible on the ground past the old parking lot, which is also no longer visible. Once you find the burned out gate on the lower road, you can follow it from there. Getting across the creek in spring requires finding the burned out bridge, which can still be safely crossed on foot if the brush has not grown over it. Good luck and pm me with any questions if you want, I have been to Cape Horn about a dozen times.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue Mar 30, 2021 9:13 am 
We drove up and walked Swakane Canyon road on Saturday. The bloom there has not yet really started although we did see yellow bells, a very few arrow leaf balsam root and a few other early bloomers. There was a marmot near the big farm at the beginning of the canyon. Lots of folks doing target practice..... paranoid.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Mar 30, 2021 12:24 pm 
lookout bob wrote:
The bloom there has not yet really started
I recommend April 15 - May 15 for these areas. I notice that Google Maps still shows the lower road. You can pull up coordinates from there to find it once it starts down the slope past the parking lot. From there it is easily followed.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir