Forum Index > Food & Grub > Coleman Trail Foods
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostSun Mar 13, 2011 1:46 pm 
I was just browsing through Cabela's Bargain Cave and ran across Coleman's version of dehydrated foods for the trail. Anyone tried them? They cost less than BP or MH, but is the quality also less?

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Mar 13, 2011 3:06 pm 
Looking at what Cabela's has in their Bargain Cave, I think the "less expensive" is an illusion. Their Coleman dinner entrees are on sale for $5, regularly $6. But they are all meatless, and are smaller in size than the MH two-serving dinners, which start at $6 from REI (and run up to about $8, but most of them are at $7 or less). Then you get 10% of that back next year. The MH "pro-pack" meals at REI are generally $6 without being on sale, so that's $5.40 after the rebate. Coleman dinners: 4 ounces. MH dinners: 4.8 up to 6.0 ounces, 4 ounces with the "pro-pack" meals The second question is are they any good? I might have to order a few and find out. I like how their southwestern chili is straight chili, no "mac". And their cilantro lime rice with pinto beans looks good.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Mar 13, 2011 4:09 pm 
The Coleman meals are made by Enertia Trailfoods in a partnership. Are the meals bad? No, but neither are they gourmet. They are easy to make though. You might IMO be better off just buying the Enertia meals instead - though they quit making some meals that got then branded under Coleman. They are quite salty - so read the labels if this concerns you. Also, some meals contain artificial dyes as well (I know, most people don't care, I do) Still I'd eat them before I ate MH meals!!!!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostSun Mar 13, 2011 6:36 pm 
Thanks Slugman, you the man for catching the details of 4 oz. up.gif I never figured the cost after the rebate and all at REI. and Sarbar, thanks for the nutritional info. It is good to know to avoid problems later, but DIRT and WORMS, how could one pass up such a meal? embarassedlaugh.gif

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.