Forum Index > Trail Talk > New Green Trails Maps
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tsolo

Tsolo
PostSun Jul 07, 2002 10:19 am 
FYI, the new Green Trails maps are out for Rattlesnake Mt. (205S) and Mt. Si NRCA (206S). They contain essential details of those confusing trail/road interactions on Rattlesnake, the CCC Road, and the Iron Horse Trail, as well as details on the old Mt. Si route and all the Dirty Harry routes, among other stuff. A good starting point for some late-fall and winter hikes.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 07, 2002 10:53 am 
Army tanks for the info. TB up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Jul 07, 2002 12:03 pm 
Yeah, but ....
...... when are they going to do the Wenatchee map ...... that's been promised for the last five years. :angry:

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jul 07, 2002 8:13 pm 
Forgive me, for I am about to spray. mad.gif Grrr, Green Trails maps lie, and lie, and then they lie some more. Mostly about trails, but also about topography to a certain degree. The one thing they consistently do well is give elevations at waypoints, like passes and lakes. Wouldn't it be neat if there were detailed and accurate maps (like the USGS grids) that also had accurate trail information? agree.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Damian

Damian
PostSun Jul 07, 2002 8:30 pm 
I have had excellent luck with Green Trails for almost 25 years. In that time I have found less than a handful of errors, mostly obsolete info. Not bad for several thousand consultations. I have had more bad luck with USGS maps. Their trail info is often out of date. The new Greentrails of Cougar, Squak, Tiger, and Rattlesnake are outstanding.

rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostSun Jul 07, 2002 10:12 pm 
The Greentrails are based on the old 15' (62,500:1) map series, no longer available. I've found the maps to be quite accurate for trails, roads, and rough elevations. The 7.5' USGS topo information is 2.6 times better for horizontal, and 2 times better for vertical. However, they are woefully out of date for roads. And some of the trail information isn't accurate either. I really don't see what you problem is with Greentrails for hiking -- it's the best way to go (or Custom Correct maps for the Olympics). By the way, in the 70's Greentrail maps were based on the 7.5' series. I suspect they switched because you need 4 times as many maps.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSun Jul 07, 2002 11:04 pm 
The newer 7.5' USGS maps have trail data on them, probably from the GIS database. Trailheads are marked with names, trail numbers are shown next to the trails. Also, the forest service road numbers are included. The maps covering the Colville National Forest are mostly updated like this. One of the benefits of the Topo! State of Washington CD set.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jul 08, 2002 4:22 am 
I haven't used the Green Trails much in the past but for my recent hike to Mineral City I purchased one to consult. I found that the trail was cut short at the Mineral City area whereas the USGS quad showed the trail all the way to Barlow pass. I would assume that whom ever issues new maps would have the most up to date info. In this case I think GT fell short. As far as accurcies I think it's whom ever does the foot work for the updates. I also used older and newer FS issued maps for the planning on this. On another note I purchased a Canadian Gov't published Quad for Cathedral Parks (Ashnola River) for my last outing and found that what was to be my trail was not. It turned out to be a private road and the map was almost useless. My trail wasn't even on it. This map was way out of date and inaccurate. I have yet to find any good BC maps including road maps. Don't waste your money. I'll report on this trip later. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostMon Jul 08, 2002 7:45 am 
Greentrails maps don't show abandoned trails like the ancient trail from Mineral City to Poodledog Pass. However the older USGS 7.5' and 100,000:1 topo maps show some of these old trails. There are lots of abandoned trails that are not shown on any currently available maps, and a few not shown on any maps.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Tsolo

Tsolo
PostMon Jul 08, 2002 8:29 am 
I’ve also found the maps to be quite accurate, and they certainly contain more useful data than anything else. Their main benefit, of course, is that you can easily see where the trails are (since they’re highlighted in green), and you can see trail mileage and elevation points. For the few times I’ve noted mistakes, I’ve taken the trouble to e-mail GT from their website and given them the corrections, which they welcome. You should do the same. And before you criticize them for not showing abandoned “hidden” trails and new-trails-in-the-making, remember that this is a no-win situation for them: half of you out there would criticize them if they DID show these types of detail.