Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking Ticket
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 25, 2002 9:19 pm 
You need to buy one under a FAKE identity, then EVERYBODY makes copies of THAT one and uses them! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Jun 25, 2002 9:47 pm 
polarbear
Yes, I can just see it now. Ex-hikers Caught Running Counterfeit Fee Demos Pass Progam from Prison Judge Lang Turm has decided to add to the 4 imprisoned northwest hikers three additional life sentences for attempting to run a fee demo pass counterfeiting program from their cells on McNeil Island. The hikers who had already served 5 years of their orginal sentence are apparently incorrigible. Their elaborate scheme was discovered when a carrier pigeon crashed through a window on the upper level of the REI, careened off a bystander's World Wrap's black bean wrap, and skidded across the resident ranger's desk, dropping a mouthful of passes. The ranger quickly noticed that the passes were the color suspiciously similar to Delmonte Peas while the genuine pass is Pale Hemlock Green Cascade. Further analysis revealed that they were manufactured out of federal issue toilet paper though whether it was single or double ply was indeterminate. More passes were found up at Snow Lake which was evidently the primary distribution point. A radio transmitter has been strapped to the pigeon to see if additional distribution points can be located. A possible location is Delta Lake. "No one used to hike to this place and now everyone is," said one official. It is unknown how many of the bogus passes are in circulation, but the racket had evidently been going on for years. "I thought it odd," said a ranger, "that when I was checking the passes on cars on hot days the parking lot smelled like a giant pea cannery." The McNeil warden said he had always been a bit suspicous that the four inmates were sporting gore tex and smart wool while the remaining islanders wore black and white striped PJ's. "Where did they get the money? It didn't add up." Two kayaks, paddles, and an altimeter were found on the shore of the island, pointing to an imminent planned escape. As they filed out of the courtroom, one reporter asked them what they planned to do once they got back to prison. "I guess it's back to jail and making license plates again," one muttered.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 25, 2002 10:15 pm 
Oh brother. Steven (Polar Bear) King! Have you thought of another carrer Pbear? Everybodys a bloody comedian! And they're all bad! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Jun 26, 2002 6:48 am 
I don't need no steeeeenking altimeter to break outta McNeil Island! You'll never take me alive, copper! hurl.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Jun 26, 2002 7:34 am 
Just think, they could probably add another 5 yrs for trespassing on federal property. You folks may not get out alive. Anybody have a buddy at Kinkos? I was at McNeil Is. once for a job interview. I didn't care for the sound of the gates when they shut or the looks of the occupants. NN frown.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
mvs

mvs
PostWed Jun 26, 2002 6:37 pm 
I paid the ticket :-(
I received a $30 ticket in May during a climb of The Brothers. I objected to paying the fee, he took my driver's license number, and gave me a real ticket. I would have to go to a district court in Aberdeen (!) to protest innocence or contest it in any way. Now I'll probably buy a pass. I can't afford to keep this up! I've read somewhere that the 1/4 mile "rule" isn't always respected by the rangers. If you think about it, it will be very easy to tear down that "rule". They'll just claim that a new de facto parking lot has been established by all the cheapskates 1/4 mile back. --Michael

catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Jun 27, 2002 5:37 pm 
There was a front page article and photo today in the News Tribune about a reverand who refuses to pay the fee or the tickets.

Tsolo

Tsolo
PostThu Jun 27, 2002 5:51 pm 
Here's the link for the Tribune article: http://www.tribnet.com/news/story/1321542p-1440377c.html The guy says he hasn't paid any tickets, and no one has ever done anything further...

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Jun 27, 2002 6:51 pm 
I may have to recruit him the next time there is a protest. agree.gif If people are against the fee demo, I think it's important they attend a protest. I think it's the most effective voice you have against it. Rather than spending hours trying to figure out how to evade the law exercise your constitutional right to fee speech. up.gif

catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Jun 27, 2002 7:20 pm 
Hmmm. Interesting idea. Maybe we should organize a little sign-carrying gathering and get some continued media attention to the matter! biggrin.gif

Protester

Protester
PostFri Jun 28, 2002 10:01 am 
You were protesting--not recreating
Hey, if you put protest signs all over your car you could argue that your primary purpose for being parked there was political protest and not recreation wink.gif It's not your fault if you happen to be relieving yourself behind some trees when they happen to write a ticket!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jun 28, 2002 11:28 am 
Thanks for the info Damian. You're certain the 1/4 mile rule no longer applies, right? biggrin.gif I predict some very empty parking lots and a line of cars along roadsides, this will have a particular impact on the Smith brook trailhead, where they are building a large new parking lot to get the weekly huge line of cars off the road. Now, they'll finish the expensive new lot and have everyone parking on the road again. Makes me wonder about priorities when they are short on funding to begin with and think parking lots are the best use of cash. Just make the roads slightly wider near trailheads and call it good. Practically, I've wondered how they enforced a 1/4 mile rule in the first place. They may be dropping it because of enforcement issues, but now since you can park one place and pay, or 50 feet away, and not, will create an entirely new set of unintended consequences....solution: end trail pass. Probable solution: New even more unworkable situation where the presence of your car on any road going to a trailhead is considered fee worthy? Time for flamebait...Wether or not maintaince ceases is not a reason to support the insupportable. Proper funding (IMO, from congress) for trail maintainance will not occur by supporting the current system, and if it takes the cessation of maintainence for a while to build support for federal funding for federal property, that's the way it goes.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Jul 01, 2002 7:44 am 
Quote:
Practically, I've wondered how they enforced a 1/4 mile rule in the first place.
They enforced it by putting up signs 1/4 mile down the road from any Trail Park Pass areas and if your car was parked between the sign and the trailhead without a pass, you got ticketed.
Quote:
He said that while the one quarter mile rule no longer exists, cars are not cited unless they are parked (without pass) at one of the following places:
Does this mean that you can now park closer than 1/4 mile and not be ticketed if you don't have a Pass? Or does it mean you get nailed if you park ANYWHERE on a USFS road w/o a Pass? mad.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostMon Jul 08, 2002 5:28 pm 
I just got a notice to show up for arraignment in a Federal Court in Vancouver for a Trail Park Pass I ignored earlier this year-or pay the $30 fine. Anyone know what happens if I ignore this one? Will the U.S. govt. put out a warrant for my arrest? Will Tommy Lee Jones show up at my doorstep like in The Fugitive? Seriously, anyone know how this works?

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 08, 2002 5:38 pm 
I agree with ole Billy, I cannot support and will not support this program. What about the money WASETED on the dumb ass who now has to DRIVE AROUND LOOKING FOR OFFENDERS? Is that not a waste of government time? Time equals money. This absolutly is duble taxation. One more example of it anyway. I dont care about trail maintenance. Let them go to hell. Let the care be totally volunteer based. If I get a ticket then I get a ticket. Tom B