Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Dedicated Road Report Subcategory?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Mar 08, 2011 1:07 am 
I know this has been talked about before, but what are the thoughts now on making a dedicated area we can report road conditions. Not a Sticky, but a subcategory placed next to Trip Reports. Maybe called Roads? I'm out all the time as are other members on here checking out roads, snow levels, access. Not always involving a hike, so I don't do up a TR. We have such a wealth of knowledge with so many people getting out be great to have a catch all place to draw from. We have the Road Closure sticky, but don't see it being used much. If making a new category is prohibitive, perhaps changing the Sticky to Road Closure/Conditions might get more use?

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 08, 2011 3:39 pm 
I like the road report idea, we have enough members to make it a very powerful info source. Something where you can add a road and then others can update it. a big table or something ,maybe a click map?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 08, 2011 5:12 pm 
I would suggest using the road closure sticky. No reason the title can't be changed to "Road Conditions / Closures" and the content updated in the wiki as follows: {road name}: {condition} Last updated: {name} {date} . . . {road name}: {condition} Last updated: {name} {date} That would be a whole lot easier to use than wading thru a bunch of threads or posts to find the latest info.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 1:44 am 
I'm just thinking that the Stickies mostly get ignored, so a dedicated area would be much more useful. Avoid the dozens of..."what is the snow level", "Is xxx road open and how far can I go" type of posts we see all the time in TT. We have the info. to expand that into a very valuable resource if people were directed there. Expanded into a clickable resource as MG suggested. Our info. on here is so much more up to date and useful than any FS website. Shame it's not being used to it's full advantage.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Mar 11, 2011 1:35 am 
Those guns.gif Stickies look pretty active. lol.gif I noticed the title of that sticky has already been changed. up.gif Now it's just a matter of us users getting into the habit of using it an updating it. This thread is a perfect example of why this is needed. Pretty sure the Forest Service simply puts the word "Snow" in for all roads just cause conditions change faster than they can update. Odd's are since it's still winter it might snow. rolleyes.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri Mar 11, 2011 1:41 am 
Yeah, see it was changed. up.gif I'll ignore it like the other stickies!.....smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 11, 2011 1:43 am 
Probably should change the functionality so that no replies can be made (only edits) with an edit bumping the new post indicator. That way you don't have dumbasses replying without updating the wiki.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Mar 13, 2011 7:07 pm 
This is not going to happen by it's self. tongue.gif So i took some initiative, here's what I'm thinking about posting in the roads sticky.
Quote:
Mtn Loop road condidtions (Darrington and Grantite Falls sides) SL0-5500 aka C-Post road (Mt. Higgens trail head) :condition? 2000, Mt. Loop Scenic Hwy, Hwy 7 County :Closed @ Redbridge due to Washout. 2010 French Creek (Boulder River trail) :condition? 2030 Mine (White Horse ) :closed @ moose creek bridge 2040 Squire Creek (Squire Pass ) :closed 2 miles before trail head due to 2002 slide 2060 Clear Creek (Squire Pass ) :Avalanche damage to road at mile 2 2081/86 Peek-A-Boo Lake (Peek-A-Boo Lake ) :Condition? 2095 Mt. Pugh (Mt Pugh ) :Seasonal road closure 10/15-6/1 one mile from trail head. 23 White Chuck (RIP Kennedy Hot Springs ) : Closed at MP 0 washed out. Repairs scheduled summer 2011 4020 Schweitzer Creek (Bear, Pinnacle, Ashland, Bordman lakes ) : Snow Bound @ MP 0 3/13/11 4030 Mallardy & Walt Bailey (Walt Bailey) : Snow Bound @ MP 0 3/13/11 4052 Deer Creek (Kelceema Lake) : Inaccessible due to closure at Red Bridge, see Mt. Loop info. 4060 Coal Lake (Coal, Pass, Independence, North lakes) : Inaccessible due to closure at Red Bridge, see Mt. Loop info. 4065 Sunrise Mine (Sunrise Mine) : Inaccessible due to closure at Red Bridge, see Mt. Loop info. 4080 Elliott Creek (Goat Lake) (Goat Lake) : Inaccessible gated closure near Bedal Creek and Barlow Pass. 41 Tupso Pass (Three Fingers/Goat Flats, Meadow mtn, forks of Canyon Creek) : Log truck activity first mile/Deep Snow @MP 3 3/13/11 42 Mt. Pilchuck (Pilchuck, Heather lake) : Plowed half way to Heather Lk trail head 3/13/11 49 Sloan Creek/North Fork Sauk (NF Sauk, Bald Eagle, Sloan Pk, Glacier peak access) : Closed @mp 0 due to washout.
I see a few problems. 1 if lots of people started editing in one wiki, adding info it could turn into information bloat. 2 i'm not sold on the topo map.....all those topo lines are distracting from the roads. Opinions?

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Mar 29, 2011 4:24 pm 
The road sticky thread is still a mish-mash. No clue what the word "unofficial" means regarding the thread, and it's not in a logical place in the thread; same with a random quote by someone at the end of the Wiki (I think it's meant to be a response to the road condition above it, but the quote is not necessary). It'd be great if folks would use the name of the road, or a reasonable name or trailhead - I have no clue what FS 9877 is (for instance). Is it OK if someone (anyone who wishes to) goes in to clean it up a bit?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 29, 2011 7:49 pm 
Yep, as hulksmash noted, it won't happen by itself.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Mar 29, 2011 11:22 pm 
O am I ever an idiot - I completely spaced and didn't see Hulks' post.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Gamuru
Cartographile

Gamuru
Cartographile
PostWed Mar 30, 2011 6:23 am 
I think Hulk has the right idea. The Forestry Service has the forests divided up by district, region, then by road. I suggest we do the same as their structure seems to work well for locating roads. Perhaps instead of one large wiki, we could have several--one for each district--to help users quickly locate roads.

Don "The definition of a mine is a hole in the ground that belongs to a liar." ~Mark Twain
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 30, 2011 7:55 am 
Good suggestion. There's nothing that prevents multiple wikis in the same topic. Feel free to add more than one.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Mar 30, 2011 9:57 pm 
To Whom May Give a Rats Ass: I cleaned it up a little. (I mean the Roads thread.) The Super-Duper Special Notice box can be for long-term closures like the washout on the Mtn Loop. The N Fk Sauk is a regular ole washout at this point. If they decide to replace the bridge and the road closed all summer long, it'll then be Super-Duper Special Notice material. That's my vision and I'm sticking to it, at least until I change my vision. Feel free to change what-all I did - I'm not married to it or anything, and don't think my feelings will be hurt if you have another idea and decide to re-do the wiki.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Mar 31, 2011 11:09 am 
Thanks Gamuru. Although i'm thinking that the map link is a bit of over kill. For those who are not familiar with Gmap4 might be hesitant to update the WIKI when they see html. Any additional input? Yes i noticed Q good job. up.gif up.gif