Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Airplane crash near Mineral (a few decades ago)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostFri Jul 09, 2004 6:40 pm 
If you want to see a C-47, check out the link to the following thread. I posted these pictures awhile ago on this site. I took them myself. Old Air Base Photograph

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostFri Jul 09, 2004 6:42 pm 
If anyone else wants information on an airplane crash that they know about, send me a message. I will do whatever I can to get you information. The catch is, I get to know about the crash site. I take good care of them. smile.gif

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostFri Jul 09, 2004 11:37 pm 
That is very interesting....

Snowpuppy

Snowpuppy
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 4:11 pm 
Great Airplane
I've flown 3 different ones. Very nice aircraft.

Beth

Beth
PostSat Oct 02, 2004 12:01 am 
Ladd mountain plane crash
rolleyes.gif My husband has hiked Ladd Mountain as a junior camper many times and he explored the plane crash on Ladd mountain twice in the mid to late 60's. He remembers that other people would take artifacts from the plane. He even recalls the leather helmet taken from the plane by one gentleman. He tried to revisit the plane crash site in the mid 70's, but got lost with a group of young junior campers and took all day to get back just in time for dinner to the campground. Pleasant Valley Christian Camp is at the base of Ladd Mountain and the plane crash is accessible from the campground. It is private property, so I recommend seeking permission before exploring this mountain.

Beth Ladd
Beth

Beth
PostSat Oct 02, 2004 11:01 am 
Plane crash on Ladd Mountain
Hi, My wife posted a message regarding the plane crash on Ladd mountain. I am her husband and was the one who had the opportunity in the 60's to visit the site. It was pretty spectacular. I was able to walk across the wing piece of the plane, and the wreckage was strewn for some distance up and down the side of the mountain. It appeared to be a small plane, perhaps 4 or 6 seater. Many people took stuff away from the site, to the point I am sure that what might be left is very minimal (if anything, and most of that would be completely overgrown). I do not think it is on private property, but rather national forest property, but I can't say for sure. The hike was exciting, not much of a trail to follow, and that is why after visiting it as a junior higher twice, when in college I took a group of hearty high schoolers up, I couldn't find it (both because the trail was pretty much non-existent and the fact that so much had been taken from the crash). Another interesting tidbit about the area - there used to be an old coal mining camp up on Ladd mountain, which has been shut down since (closed in the late 50's, I think). The mining camp/town worked that whole mountain; as a kid I explored the mines (wasn't supposed to) and saw so many cool things left from the camp of the miners. It was as if they just departed and left everything behind. In the cabins (no longer exist, a private camp is there now) there were journals, and boots, and lanterns, and all kinds of stuff. It was very surreal.

Beth Ladd
Mount Logan
Canada's Highest

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest
PostSat Feb 04, 2023 8:20 pm 
DAILY CHRONICLE - June 22, 1964 [excerpt] Murray said a second missing plane flown by two searchers was located from the air Saturday. Wreckage with the lettering “Wings of Prophecy” on the side was spotted by Air National Guard helicopter pilot John Schell. A dramatic rescue of the downed pilot followed. A para-medic was flown to the scene on the north side of Ladd Mountain at the 3,700-foot level. Lowered on a winch from a McChord helicopter, he found only one body in the wreckage, that of William Good of Sedro Woolley, the observer. A mountain rescue team from Tacoma and the Mossyrock Search and Rescue team, meanwhile, were making their way through heavy brush toward the downed plane. Shouting to each other to establish contact they heard a hoarse, weak cry in answer. Five minutes later, members of the Tacoma team found Lester L. Mercer, 63, flying Church of God missionary from Sedro Woolley lying against a rock out cropping. He had suffered a broken wrist, ankle and had a badly cut upper lip. He told his rescuers he stayed with Good until he died sometime Friday. Hearing trucks on the Morton highway six miles away, he started crawling. He covered about a quarter of a mile before being found. Murray said the plane dove between two trees, taking the wings off. The biggest piece of wreckage, he said was the tail section. Mercer was air-lifted by helicopter to Madigan General hospital at nearby Fort Lewis where he was reported in serious condition from frostbite, arm and leg injuries and possible internal injuries.

Dick B

Dick B
PostMon Feb 06, 2023 4:17 pm 
This is a response to "hikerjo" from way back on 7/9/04, regarding looking up airplane crashes. I don't know if you are still out there, or if not, perhaps someone else has knowledge of this event. Many years ago when I was in the 3rd grade there was a plane crash near our school. Here are some details as I remember them. The grade school was at Langley, WA on South Whidbey Island. The year was in either in the fall of '43 or the spring of '44. The time was late in the afternoon, just before class let out. As I recall, it was a sunny day. Suddenly there was a loud revving noise, almost like a chain saw, only there were no chainsaws in those days. That was followed by a loud explosion. It got our attention, but the teacher said to pay no mind as it was just a car back firing. When school was thru the word had spread that a plane had crashed just south of town, about a mile or so west of school. It had come in from the north over Saratoga Passage, into a stand of 2nd growth Doug Fir and blew up. No survivors. The crash site was sealed while the bodies were removed, then the public was allowed in. My Dad took us there. I can still remember the scene. Everything was scorched and hardly any pieces remained of any size. There was no way to tell what kind of plane it was. As I remember, it was described as a military transport of some kind. Once everyone's curiosity was satisfied the incident was forgotten or so it seemed. I was too young to remember much of what was discussed afterwards. I am into South Whidbey historical stuff, and I have checked into the local newspaper archives via the net for any reporting that may have been done at the time but have found nothing.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Feb 06, 2023 6:06 pm 
It’s hard to imagine that several aircraft crashed in the continental U.S. every day during The War. They did. Losing 7,100 aircraft doesn’t happen all at once. I saw a log that listed many of them when I went looking for P-38 crash my Mother witnessed at Sandpoint. In that case the pilot survived, as seemed most common when randomly looking around at list. According to the NPS 15,599 crew didn’t. Edit. The NPS gives total for Army Air Forces. The Navy surely list quite a few too.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!