Forum Index > Gear Talk > Men's (shudder shudder) pantyhose
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hate Ticks guy

Hate Ticks guy
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 8:27 pm 
This should catch some attention. I was reading an AT hiker's journal when he mentioned that he had come across some Army Rangers that were on training manuevers who wore pantyhose to provide protection from ticks. They said they were men's pantyhose from a company: http://www.comfilon.com/Catalog/default.asp Hopefully that url will get you there but the thought intrigued me, not because I'm into cross dressing but because the aspect of protection from ticks at the early time of the year. Any thoughts on this or has anybody tried this concept? C'mon now, lets act like grownups on this one dizzy.gif as the possibilities to get some good comments in abound. cool.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 8:32 pm 
Panty Hose?
What would you do? Wear them over your head to keep the ticks out of your hair? lol.gif I guess I would just be worried about ripping them; it seems like it would be kind of like bushwhacking in Frogg Toggs.

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hate Ticks guy

Hate Ticks guy
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 9:10 pm 
Obviously you've never spent a lot of time in the east where ticks are very plentiful. No, you don't wear pantyhose to protect your hair (you must live in Utah) but you'd want to protect those nether areas that ticks hide in and you don't find them until its too late. moon.gif Anyway, if Army Rangers wear them for tick protection, there might be something to the concept. biggrin.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jun 12, 2002 9:17 am 
I posted a similar opinion last year when the tick topic came up, and I'll do it again -- people out here freak out about ticks. Growing up in Texas, I was exposed to many many ticks on a yearly basis. The tick season there lasts much longer than here (6-8 months, I'd say) and they are just something you deal with. I don't think Lyme Disease or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever are more prevalent here than there (I could be wrong) but I've been bitten by hundreds of ticks over my lifetime, including in nether regions, and never had anything more than a normal irritation from the bite. They are just no big deal, a fact of life, where I grew up. Certainly take precautions, but I've seen/heard people here going absolutely nuts about them, like sending every tick they get off to be tested, or sterilizing clothes after a tick is found, or...dare I say it...wearing pantyhose. wink.gif

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostWed Jun 12, 2002 9:29 am 
Common, you guys look at the benefits to wearing hose: only takes a couple sec to dry. don't get your leggs scratched up so much. gives you a little extra leg support, lots of hospitals use hose type socks for patients with bad legs. saves on the dryer bill, wash and line dry.. Just funning you guys... Ice Girl

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jun 12, 2002 2:00 pm 
Just found a week old tick on our dog from a trip to EWa. Never seen one that's been on the host for a while. Talk about NASTY! Just about gagged me when I found it, and then I had to look at it closely to remove it. which was even worse! I had no idea that they got so large, they are so small if you catch them early. This guy was up to the size of a medium sized raisin, I kid you not, with the tiny legs up front, and a huge swollen, soft, abdomen! YUCK YUCK YUCK!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
salish

salish
PostSun Jun 16, 2002 5:04 pm 
Ticks and Such
CascadeHiker: My dad was from the Missouri Ozarks (Forsyth) and I've seen my share of water moccasains, copperheads, ticks, and chiggers. Actually, it was the chiggers that bothered me the most. I spend a lot of time from mid-October until mid-January hunting upland birds in central washington with my Llewellin Setter, and I use a product called Advantage for ticks and it works well. He's never had a tick stick to him. I'd never use it on a human, though. There's a lot more ticks in the PNW than most people know. Last summer I rented the USFS Greenridge Lookout near Sisters, OR (I'm renting it again later this month) and my buddies and I encountered tons of ticks, on us, in our clothes, sleeping bags, etc. It was pretty disgusting, and took a lot of efforts to wash things, etc. My two daughters decided to stay in Iowa after college and are now discovering that ticks are a way of life in the mid-west. They were horrified with them at first, but now are like a lot of mid-westerners who know that ticks are just part of life. My pantyhose admission: I made a motorcycle trip through Yellowstone back in 1982, and it got so cold outside of West Yellowstone I stopped in a little store and bought a pair of "Leggs" pantyhose. I put these on under my jeans and they really cut the chill.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
salish

salish
PostMon Jun 17, 2002 1:49 pm 
When I was a kid Branson was just a tiny little town, just like Forsyth. I loved it down there and have wonderful memories of the Missouri Ozarks, but I'm born & bred here in Seattle and I'll die hear. I recall very fondly the "lightning bugs" in my great-grandma's back yard, and you are right about the fall colors. I very much disliked the heat & humidity of summer and early fall. We have a family reunion every September, but I haven't been there since 86'. I think the thing that thrilled me the most, and still does, is the history. The whole Swan Creek Valley was a staging point for the Osage, and before them it was an "arsenal" for prehistoric people. Maybe it was the limestone, but there are literally millions of arrowheads and stone points around there. It's a cavers wonderland. Then the area was an incredibly lawless and dangerous place during and especially after the civil war, and the tales rival those of the old scotch-irish families in appalachia to the east. It's just an interesting place and I wish everyone could see it. Thanks, Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Roxann

Roxann
PostMon Jun 17, 2002 6:24 pm 
Had my run in with ticks already this year. My dog (see picture to the left) picked up a few when we were hiking around the Deception Pass Area. I did not find them till two weeks later. By then they were so bloated. frown.gif Yes Mtn Goat they are very gross. But it seems to me that you big tough mtn men with your 4X4 should feel comfortable enough with your manhood to wear some pantyhose if it saves you grief later. moon.gif Also panty hose work well to prevent blisters. And you could use them as bungee cords. Very multipurpose.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Jun 17, 2002 8:03 pm 
Lightening Bugs
Lightening Bugs. Sigh. One of the very few things I miss from back east. I remember one night on the Bull Pasture River in Virginia. There were millions of them. If you've never seen ligthening bugs, you really can't imagine it; if you have ...... The air was full of them, several hundred per cubic yard. At any given moment there'd be several dozen on you. We were out in a grassy clearing by the river and every weed, every blade of grass was lined with blinking, winking bugs. No experience I've had has come so close to, "This is fairyland". smile.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
IBEX

IBEX
PostMon Jun 17, 2002 9:08 pm 
Multipurpose Pantyhose: Singing Falsetto
I once sailed with a group of macho deck apes that took pride in yarding halyards and reefing sails with bulging muscles and loud bolstering. After one overnight race around Protection Island, when we were winding down over one too many beers, one of the mates let it slip that he was wearing pantyhose. Of course, we all had to give him the biggest razz we could muster. We swore he would never live it down. Seemingly groping for an excuse, He explained the physics involving wind increasing evaporation over the skin, and how the hosiery kept him warm while sitting on the windward rail all night long. He concluded that the undergarments were not the type made specifically for men; as he explained this all in a relatively high voice. It came to pass at the next overnight regatta, that we were all warmer during the night. The captain noticed that we were fidgeting more while we sat on the rail. And we spoke in slightly higher voices. up.gif biggrin.gif

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
warmer trails

warmer trails
PostTue Jul 02, 2002 11:33 am 
comfilon products
I bought a pair of the comfilon products and used it last weekend. Really helped to keep me warmer under some rain pants. I actually liked the comfort they provided. I guess we should get past some of our male/female viewpoints and accept something that might improve our lot. up.gif agree.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 02, 2002 11:46 am 
Cascade Hiker, is that you hiding from your wife under a guest username? lol.gif

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostTue Jul 02, 2002 8:58 pm 
I've often thought about hiking in my speedo. Now I have options! Now you can blame me for a lack of animals on the trails eek.gif BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
hotfoot1951

hotfoot1951
PostTue Jul 09, 2002 9:16 pm 
I try to be open to new ideas and I am old enough to not be embarassed easily any more, however I think that I will have to take a pass on the pantyhose idea. I also took a pass on the idea of wearing a hiking kilt. Are there any out there who are secure enough in their manhood to wear both the hiking kilt and pantyhose? Not me! biggrin.gif