Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rapid River 4-29-11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
LastManOut
Where's my whiskey?

LastManOut
Where's my whiskey?
PostTue May 10, 2011 11:25 pm 
Myself and a few friends from work, Tanner, Martha, and her sister Sam did a 3 day hike on the Rapid River south of Riggins, Idaho last weekend. The day started at 6:00 am in Spokane ,Tanner picked me up, after dropping his son off at daycare, we picked up Martha and her sister Sam and headed south to Lewiston and on to Riggins Idaho. Approx 4 miles south at the Rapid River Salmon hatchery lies the trailhead to the Rapid River. Interesting the fish biologist told us only 60 steelhead returned to spawn last year out of thousand/millions? Anyway we hoisted our packs and headed off under partly sunny skies. This was Marthas sisters first hike btw.
Picture 001
Picture 001
Picture 003
Picture 003
Picture 002
Picture 002
Picture 008
Picture 008
Picture 029
Picture 029
Picture 030
Picture 030
Picture 033
Picture 033
Picture 035
Picture 035
Picture 037
Picture 037
Picture 039
Picture 039
Picture 042
Picture 042
Picture 046
Picture 046
Picture 047
Picture 047
Picture 048
Picture 048
Picture 054
Picture 054
Picture 058
Picture 058
Picture 060
Picture 060
Picture 061
Picture 061
Picture 063
Picture 063
Picture 064
Picture 064
Picture 066
Picture 066
Picture 071
Picture 071
Picture 072
Picture 072
Picture 073
Picture 073
Picture 074
Picture 074
Picture 079
Picture 079
Picture 085
Picture 085
Picture 097
Picture 097
Picture 133
Picture 133
Picture 153
Picture 153
Picture 165
Picture 165
Picture 166
Picture 166
Picture 163
Picture 163
Picture 175
Picture 175
Picture 176
Picture 176
Picture 177
Picture 177
Picture 181.1
Picture 181.1
The trail winds up the canyon following the Rapid River, The terrain is scenic, moreso than I expected for a Spring hike. The mountains above the canyon are almost desert, sagebrush and small bushes. However down in the canyon is forested and lush, some areas so lush that every rock is covered in moss and ferns. After 6 miles and the grave of J.Jones- deceased 1899, we reached Potters Flat, our destination and home for 3 days. We set camp under ominous skies and then it began to rain. Here started a cascade of moderate to minor gear failures. Marthas rei rental tent was ripped, so we repaired that with duct tape. Then I hung my gravity filter to get some water- the only filter we brought for 4 people for 3 days. What happens, Nothing! No water coming through. Me and Tanner are f### with it a while but no dice. I'm getting worried a bit though I don't think the girls realize what a bad screwup this is. Finally after we run hot water through it we get a tiny flow only 1 drip at a time literally. So instead of 1 liter per minute we have a 1 liter per hour filter. oh well lesson learned bring 2 filters or test before. Next we gathered firewood and made dinner. The evil firewood of this area is covered in needle like thorns the shred the hands also. Rain died out and we had a pretty good night. Tanners crazy sob hiked in a box of wine all 6 lbs of it. I had a margerita and Martha had the trusty 4-LOCO to sip and share. Good times were had before we hit the sack. Next morning things are looking good weather wise. Somehow in the Margarita haze i managed to poke a small hole in my thermarest wich is also my camp chair so i wake up on the ground. AFter breakfast we pack a lunch for a dayhike to Mccrea Cabin, about 2.5 miles up canyon. We hike along a ways and see a giant pile of deer guts. Oh I didn't mention we passed a full grown dead horse laying in the Rapid River rotting- So don't camp at the first camp 3 miles in!! I think we saw more dead animals than live ones. The dayhike was cool we had to ford Mccrea creek by rock hopping. Sam fell in soaked her boots-we laughed. When we reached mccrea cabin a full on hail storm blew through so the timing was awesome. Ate our lunch at Mccrea Cabin which looked the perfect setting for inbred mountain people to come murder us. The place is old dusty with rusty tools lying around and crooked stairs leading up to the attic. After lunch we got the hell out of there and started back for camp. Last laugh on me I put a boot in the drink crossing the creek on the way back. Got back to camp and ate dinner Velveeta Mac and Shells which was deliscous then the damn rain started again. WE had collected an insane pile of wood the size of loveseat so we got the fire raging. We blasted some 44mag rounds off to scare off the woods creatures then chilled around the fire drinking and laughing. The girls turned in and me and Tanner hung out a while then called it a night with the fire still insane. Next morning brought us the best weather of the trip pure sunshine. We ate breakfast and headed back down, had the camp to ourselves the whole 3 days. Awesome sunshine and minor sunburns behind us we were back at the truck. We had a celebratory cooler beer before heading into Riggins where we had the locals scoop on a sunny beach along the Salmon River.f WE traveled to said beach and sure enough, 200 yards long and 100 yards wide of sandy goodness. 3-4 other groups were enjoying the sunshine as we lingered while the sun got low. Stopped for dinner at the Back Eddy Grill in Riggins before heading home. Awesome place for a spring trip...

overslept another sunrise
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 10, 2011 11:41 pm 
Hey that river looks rapid! Nice. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue May 10, 2011 11:48 pm 
ykm.gif When i read "Rapid River" immediately thought the one out side of Skykomish, and thought dam some one bushwhacked to the meadow at the headwaters lol.gif .........Oooops. mum.gif Nice TR up.gif up.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed May 11, 2011 5:21 am 
I had the same thought of the "other" Rapid River myself. I was just up there on Sat and you can just get past the Meadow Creek trailhead before running into deep snow on the road. There was one car at the trailhead and ofcoarse some shady characters up there.

LastManOut
Where's my whiskey?

LastManOut
Where's my whiskey?
PostSat May 14, 2011 1:59 am 
there must be hundreds of "rapid rivers" hikes in the northwest., this one is south of Riggins, Idaho and borders the east side of the Seven Devils Recreation Area, from McCrea cabin iit is 6 miles to the popular Seven Devils Loop hike....The Hells Canyon is a mere 20 miles west...

overslept another sunrise
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSun May 15, 2011 1:06 pm 
Sounds like a nice trip!!!

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostSun May 22, 2011 9:15 pm 
Hell yeah! Nice trip report man, it was an awesome trip, the perfect ticket for a spring getaway, will have to go back and hike the main fork some day. up.gif
Trail head for the Rapid River and West Fork Trails, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
Trail head for the Rapid River and West Fork Trails, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
View along the Rapid River Trail, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
Cole and Martha along the Rapid River, Idaho.
Cole and Martha along the Rapid River, Idaho.
Sam, Martha, and Cole along the Rapid River, Idaho.
Sam, Martha, and Cole along the Rapid River, Idaho.
Cole, Sam, and Martha pause on a bridge along the Rapid River, Idaho.
Cole, Sam, and Martha pause on a bridge along the Rapid River, Idaho.
Martha, and Sam along the Rapid River, Idaho.
Martha, and Sam along the Rapid River, Idaho.
Taking a break at a camp along the Rapid River, Idaho.
Dead horse along the Rapid River Trail, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
Dead horse along the Rapid River Trail, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
Hikers on the Rapid River Trail, Idaho.
Hikers on the Rapid River Trail, Idaho.
Trail junction along the Rapid River, we went up the West Fork to Potters Flat and eventually McCrea cabin.
Trail junction along the Rapid River, we went up the West Fork to Potters Flat and eventually McCrea cabin.
View along the West Fork Rapid River Trail, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
Hikers take a break along the West Fork Rapid River Trail, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
Hikers take a break along the West Fork Rapid River Trail, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
McCrea cabin along the West Fork Rapid River Trail, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
McCrea cabin along the West Fork Rapid River Trail, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
Out house at McCrea cabin along the West Fork Rapid River Trail, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
Out house at McCrea cabin along the West Fork Rapid River Trail, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
Hikers try to keep there feet dry while crossing McCrea Creek, West Fork Rapid River Trail, Idaho.
Hikers try to keep there feet dry while crossing McCrea Creek, West Fork Rapid River Trail, Idaho.
Camp at Potters Flat along the West Fork Rapid River Trail, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
Camp at Potters Flat along the West Fork Rapid River Trail, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
West Fork Rapid River near camp at Potters Flat, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
Potters Flat along the West Fork Rapid River, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
Potters Flat along the West Fork Rapid River, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
Cole, Sam, and Martha along the West Fork Rapid River Trail, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.
Cole, Sam, and Martha along the West Fork Rapid River Trail, Seven Devils Mountains, Idaho.