Forum Index > Trip Reports > Little Si? Little Whoop.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostMon May 16, 2011 7:42 pm 
Little Si Distance: 4.4 miles RT Elevation Gain: Yeah, right. Poodles: Just one dirty one New Pet Peeve: People who shout "WOOOO!" at switchbacks Yes, it's come to this. Little Si.
Little Si
Little Si
Just look at that. If Teneriffe is Mount Si's inbred sister, then Little Si is the deformed, mutant child she keeps in the crawlspace under her stairs. It's an embarrassment to the family and no none wants to be seen anywhere near it. I was going to save this hike for a rainy day...and then stay home. But I've dived into just about every other I-90 dumpster already, so I figured I might as well get this one over with. Believe it or not, I was actually able to park at the trailhead, instead of down the road with all the zombies and German hobos.
Zombies and Leiderhosen
Zombies and Leiderhosen
Zombies and Leiderhosen
Zombies and Leiderhosen
I had the trail all to myself, too, which is highly unusual and somewhat disconcerting. Little Si is usually a mecca for lowlife losers who are too lazy, drunk, or insane to go anywhere else. Kind of like Portland. I guess the bogus weather reports about it raining all weekend kept the moron herds away. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve Pool was up at the summit, laughing his ass off.
Little Si trailhead
Little Si trailhead
Little Si trailhead
Little Si trailhead
Little Si trail
Little Si trail
Little Si trail
Little Si trail
Little Si Trail
Little Si Trail
Mossy rock on Little Si trail
Mossy rock on Little Si trail
Shouldn't this plaque be on Everest?
Shouldn't this plaque be on Everest?
The trail slowly meandered its way around to the back side of the "mountain". I don't think I gained a single foot in elevation in the first 1.75 miles of the 2.2 mile hike. The views were few and far between, but at least I had all the cleverly placed poop to keep me astonished and amazed.
"I'll just put it in this tree so I don't forget!"
"I'll just put it in this tree so I don't forget!"
Twins!
Twins!
Bright blue so everyone coming down will see it but the assclown who put it there
Bright blue so everyone coming down will see it but the assclown who put it there
The trail eventually forked off to the left and went steeply up the side of a sheer rock face. Hoorah! I was going to finally get to do some hiking!
trail to climber area on Little Si
trail to climber area on Little Si
I got maybe 100 feet up the trail before some climbers chased me out with torches and pitchforks. I should've known by the stench of CLIF shots and patchouli that it was a "climbers only" area. I'll go back up there some day and pull all their climbing doo-dads out of the rocks. That's show 'em.
Climbers on Little Si
Climbers on Little Si
Climbers on Little Si
Climbers on Little Si
I had another 1/4 mile of flat ground before the trail started to climb for real. Fifteen minutes or so later, the trail opened up onto the familiar rocky butte that I have seen in many a nwhikers trip report photo, usually with a bunch of nwhikers sitting around on it with looks on their faces like someone just sneezed in their Fruit Loops.
Final Push to the Summit
Final Push to the Summit
View from Little Si Summit
View from Little Si Summit
Still too much snow on Mt. Si
Still too much snow on Mt. Si
Mt Si from Little Si
Mt Si from Little Si
What? Another dumpster!
What? Another dumpster!
Not very impressive, but I had the summit all to myself for close to an hour. It was a little bizarre for a peak that is supposed to be packed with poodles and screaming kids on a sunny Saturday. I sat around for a bit. Stared down at I-90. Counted my toes. Ate a cookie. Picked crumbs out of my belly button from last week's hike. I honestly got a little bored without anyone around to annoy the crap out of me. I took a few snapshots, then packed up and went back down.
Interesting brush on Little Si Summit
Interesting brush on Little Si Summit
Gotta get up there with a hatchet some time
Gotta get up there with a hatchet some time
Mt.Washington from Little Si Summit
Mt.Washington from Little Si Summit
Little Si cliffs, near summit
Dude, ya putcher geocache in there!
Dude, ya putcher geocache in there!
I didn't see very many people on the way down, at least not until I got close to the trailhead. Then it was as if everyone suddenly got wise to Steve Pool's gag. There was a group of about 20 rough looking women hauling shovels and buckets up the trail, followed by an entire Boy Scout Jamboree, a bus load of Japanese tourists, the cast of Yours, Mine, and Ours, and something that was either a dirty poodle, or the mop used to clean the men's restroom at a Barstow truck stop.
Here come the crowds
Here come the crowds
Snowshoes on Little Si
Snowshoes on Little Si
Bridge from Little Si Overlook
Bridge from Little Si Overlook
I've had tougher climbs stepping over sidewalk vomit in Pioneer Square, but thanks to the solitude it wasn't too bad for a dumpster dive. By the way, it's supposed to rain cats and poodles next weekend, so you might want to stay home.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon May 16, 2011 7:51 pm 
The snowshoes sort of irritate me. Everything else I can live with.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon May 16, 2011 8:02 pm 
Those aren't snowshoes. They're an ass drum. It's all the rage in Europe.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon May 16, 2011 8:16 pm 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
What? Another dumpster!
What? Another dumpster!
So Fuller's your next dumpster dive or have you already signed the summit register on that one? lol.gif

Bandanabraids
Plodding along

Bandanabraids
Plodding along
PostMon May 16, 2011 8:58 pm 
Great TR as always biggrin.gif

"Do or do not. There is no try" --Yoda
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon May 16, 2011 9:55 pm 
It never fails to amaze me, the massive packs some hikers take on a freakin' dayhike, snowshoes on lil' Si? Seriously?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon May 16, 2011 10:45 pm 
The guy with snowshoes was probably going to try the Mt Si glacier from the opposite side as one normally would.

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostTue May 17, 2011 11:44 am 
tigermn wrote:
So Fuller's your next dumpster dive or have you already signed the summit register on that one? lol.gif
Fuller gives me the creeps even more so than Tiger. That whole area screams "Inbreds and Meth labs". I suppose I'll get up there someday, but I can't afford to replace any broke windows on my car right now, so I'm going to give it a pass this year.

Nordic

Nordic
PostTue May 17, 2011 12:08 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
snowshoes on lil' Si? Seriously
It depends what his ultimate destination was. He could very well have been heading to Mt. Si via old trail and then over to Dixie, Tenerife, etc. and snowshoes would be very appropriate and needed in some of those spots.

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue May 17, 2011 12:18 pm 
Nordic wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
snowshoes on lil' Si? Seriously
It depends what his ultimate destination was. He could very well have been heading to Mt. Si via old trail and then over to Dixie, Tenerife, etc. and snowshoes would be very appropriate and needed in some of those spots.
Yea I always got funny looks hauling snowshoes up the Rattlesnake Ledge trail, or even the main Mt. Si trail. A lot of people on these trails don't even know/realize you can go beyond where the masses congregate.

Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...

Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...
PostTue May 17, 2011 12:56 pm 
I haul snowshoes up to the 6th floor at work. I can use em to pop my coworkers in the head when they say something stupid.

Cale Hoopes caledh@gmail.com
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostTue May 17, 2011 2:06 pm 
He was coming DOWN the Little Si trail, at about 10 am in the morning, and all of his gear looked clean and brand new. He was asking everyone if they had found a cellphone. So maybe his intention was to go up the Old Si trail to Teneriffe, Dixie, etc, but he turned around when he realized he had lost his phone. Or maybe he was just plain nuts.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue May 17, 2011 2:20 pm 
Did you see any snow on Little Si? It seems like crampons would be a better tool in mid-May.

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostTue May 17, 2011 3:53 pm 
Yeah, I glissaded all the way down.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue May 17, 2011 4:17 pm 
Cale Hoopes wrote:
I haul snowshoes up to the 6th floor at work. I can use em to pop my coworkers in the head when they say something stupid.
Great idea! up.gif I have a couple of coworkers who deserve a smack on the head for saying stupid stuff. agree.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.