Forum Index > Food & Grub > Kitchens of India
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Akula

Akula
PostSun Aug 15, 2010 9:50 am 
http://www.kitchensofindia.com/globalpresence_usa_rte.asp#dinner Has anyone tried these out on the trail? I came across them today in a regular grocery store. They come in a 10oz heat and eat pouch. I tried the Mashed Vegetable Curry, and was quite surprised at how good it was. For a 2-3 nighter, the 10oz wouldn't be to bad to carry. The pouch can be put into a pan of boiling water, poured into a pan and heated up, or microwaved. it takes about 5 minutes to get hot.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream, discover. -- Mark Twain
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
erik the red

erik the red
PostSun Aug 15, 2010 1:36 pm 
Interesting, those look delicious. I wonder how long they'd keep stuffed in a pack? Thanks for posting. up.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Aug 15, 2010 1:51 pm 
Those and similar at Trader Joe's can be a nice break on the trail. As for shelf life...the tort packaging can be up to a couple years!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
yowzer

yowzer
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 11:05 pm 
Most of the prepackaged heat&eat Indian stuff is waaaaaay too salty for me. Some of this brand's offerings don't look too bad, though.

Akula

Akula
PostTue Aug 17, 2010 1:17 pm 
I did not find it to salty, but it was not shy on spices. It went well with flat bread

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream, discover. -- Mark Twain
shmelissa

shmelissa
PostWed Oct 20, 2010 9:11 am 
Yes! We've brought these along before - they're pretty good after a long day. The thing I'd do different is to make my own naan - or find a store bought version that was lighter than the stuff we hauled up.

The Monk

The Monk
PostWed Oct 20, 2010 5:14 pm 
Yep, had the Chick Pea Curry at Rainier this summer. Put in a pot of water and brought to a boil and used the water for couscous. Excellent combo for a big dinner.

---------------------------- "God looked at everything he made, and he found it Very Good: Gen. 1:31
alpinelakes

alpinelakes
PostTue May 24, 2011 7:46 pm 
There are lots more Indian food labels showing up lately. The Indian grocery store at about 53rd on the Ave in the U dist. has a huge variety of meal bags, plus all the ingredients to make things from scratch. Very good deals on spices! Cool people in that store, and they rent Indian movies, too. I like the Channa Masala ones and the Bombay Potatos from Tasty Bite. For some reason I can no longer find the yellow lentil dal from TB. It was the best. The problem with these products for backpacking is the weight. They already have all the water in them- they're heavy in any sort of quantity. The dry Channa Massala meals they sell at REI are pretty good, but a little bland, for indian food. Mix up some garam massala to toss in, and some fresh corriander, ginger, more garlic, cumin, etc. Heh. Now it's Indian food. It should burn going in and coming out! Indian food is mostly pretty easy to prepare. Route79.com is a cool Indian cooking site with excellent photos and really clear explanations of how to prepare a bunch of Indian dishes. Check out how easy it is to make a tasty Channa Massala: Route 79 Channa Masala Recipe

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu May 26, 2011 10:07 am 
Alpine lakes: Thanks for the link -- a great source of Indian-fusion recipes!