Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Pilchuck Wanderings, 5/24/11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostWed May 25, 2011 12:00 am 
Was out and about this afternoon, so took a quick run up on Mt. Pilchuck to check out the snow level (reopening of the gate) and get in a view or two. Cloudy to start, but cleared off nicely by 4pm with great Sound views. Road is in excellent shape with pothole gravel fill for the first 2 miles and recent plow to mile post 5.25. From there the last of the dozer plow stopped and it's DEEP solid snowpack 2-3 ft. or more. Wow, incredible amount of snow for almost June!...... down.gif
Mt Pilchuck Rd.  mile 5.25, 2,800 ft.
Mt Pilchuck Rd. mile 5.25, 2,800 ft.
Rocky along the plowed Mt PIlchuck Rd.
Rocky along the plowed Mt PIlchuck Rd.
Mt Pilchuck Rd. end of plowed section mp 5.25
Mt Pilchuck Rd. end of plowed section mp 5.25
Not a huge amount of room to park, but will handle 8-10 vehicles or go back down the road and park at the FS 4240 junction. I turned around and took that side road out to the view point. Amazed there is so much snow down this low. Snow starts at the 2,000 ft. level. FS 4240 is almost passable if a few lifted 4x4s would tear up the snow. I was surprised to see just a few feet of travel. Was thinking I might venture up that way in a few days for some camping, but forget that unless some 4x4's decide to make a project and open up the road. Won't take long once the snow gets torn up it was sloppy wet goo. This road has a good solid rock base and hasn't had any maintenance in many years, so don't get up riled up over 4x4's using it. It's one of the few roads left alone in that area, so hats off to the FS/DNR to not go all gated, dug up, enviro crazy, like so many other places. up.gif up.gif The road is in pretty nasty shape, but fine for a 4x4.
Junction with FS 4240 rd, 2,500 ft.
Junction with FS 4240 rd, 2,500 ft.
Walked out to the view points( 1.2 mi)and snow went from deep pockets to dry road depending on the exposure. Shaded areas/creeks were still 1-2 ft. deep in spots. All dry out by the edge. Not a huge amount of garbage, but one area was way more than should happen. down.gif I found an unopened can of Coors Light and a full spray can of Quick Wax, so all wasn't lost on the garbage. hockeygrin.gif Sun came out with large sections of blue sky, so sat out on the LO and soaked up the sun for about 1.5 hrs. Bugs were busy as were the hummingbirds, so all the snow will be but a memory in a week or so at least around there. Farther up on the mountain it's going to be July or later before we see bare ground.
Rocky checking out the Big Black Birds.
Rocky checking out the Big Black Birds.
View of Everett from Mt. Pilchuck.
View of Everett from Mt. Pilchuck.
SE view from Mt Pilchuck.
SE view from Mt Pilchuck.
Rocky says, "look at me dad, I'm standing on the edge of a 200 ft. cliff"
Rocky says, "look at me dad, I'm standing on the edge of a 200 ft. cliff"
Rocky on Pilchuck.
Rocky on Pilchuck.
Lake Hanson view.
Lake Hanson view.
PS, the crackhead/meth trashed vehicle at 1,700 ft. corner was removed so thank you FS/DNR up.gif up.gif up.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostWed May 25, 2011 1:00 pm 
Geo, that must have been your red car we saw at the corner last night on our way up for another evening ski. I almost didn't go seeing how socked in it was all day, but then the clouds started to break to the west and we hoped it would do so by the time we got to the top. Sure nuf it did and we had a wonderful ski down.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 25, 2011 1:56 pm 
Thank for the report. Deep, solid snow pack? No worries, Hulk say's it will melt out in a day or so of warm weather, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostThu May 26, 2011 5:29 pm 
Yep, that was me. When I got back to my car I drove back up to the road end and took some pics in the sun. I saw your truck and wondered if it might be a NWH'r. Seems like when ever I'm out I run into someone. You're making me drool with your pics. Would love to have knees to ski like I used to. Snow level dropping to 3,500-4,000 ft. so the endless winter continues. Going to be some excellent turns for weeks to come. Eat it up..... up.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles