Forum Index > Trip Reports > Shi Shi/Point of Arches with half fast, eleventy-one pics
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed May 25, 2011 2:06 pm 
Sunday: drove, paid, parked, walked road, boardwalks, woods, mud, more mud, switchbacks down to beach. Other people all leaving. Not raining. biggrin.gif OK, enough with the boring stuff. embarassedlaugh.gif I love arriving at the beach, those first views through the woods, the sound of surf, the aroma, the anticipation. Shi Shi beach doesn't disappoint. I moseyed on down to Petroleum creek, which is an easy step-over right now, due to convenient driftwood, and found the perfect campsite. I set up my home away from home, and settled in for a nice rest, and a supper of organic sirloin beef roast and other things. I saw a total of 20 other people, but they don't count since they were all on their way out. It was just me, alone, for Sunday night, no other people for miles. Just me and the body-surfing sea lions. It was too warm for a fire, so I just lounged and sipped some Kahlua and watched the sunset try to dazzle me, but in the end it fizzled due to cloud cover. I appreciated the effort, though. At 11 pm it was almost low tide, so I put some Pink Floyd (Meddle) on through the headphones, and walked up to Point of the Arches. It was pretty misty, so I kept my light off, except once in a while to make sure I wasn't going to trip over any drift logs. So I come to a log, I thought, and almost stepped on it, but I turned on my light, and it was a dead sea lion with a horrible rictus grin and empty eye sockets. I almost leapt out of my skin with horror and revulsion and fear. The super-spooky music wasn't helping at that point. But I re-established my composure, and continued exploring in the dark, even entering a sea cave. I got back to camp at 1:30 am, and called it a day.
First view
First view
Shi Shi beach 004
Shi Shi beach 004
Lonely beach
Lonely beach
half fast's future site
half fast's future site
My site
My site
Threatening
Threatening
Non-threatening
Non-threatening
Shi Shi beach 048
Shi Shi beach 048
Shi Shi beach 059
Shi Shi beach 059
All set up
All set up
Shi Shi beach 063
Shi Shi beach 063
Home away from home
Home away from home
Petroleum is a step-over
Petroleum is a step-over
Nice site, can't get there
Nice site, can't get there
Art or garbage?
Art or garbage?
Shi Shi beach 089
Shi Shi beach 089
Shi Shi beach 090
Shi Shi beach 090
Group site
Group site
Garbage
Garbage
More garbage
More garbage
Weird
Weird
Small site
Small site
Shi Shi beach 118
Shi Shi beach 118
Body surfing
Body surfing
Otters!
Otters!
Shi Shi beach 140
Shi Shi beach 140
Shi Shi beach 143
Shi Shi beach 143
Shi Shi beach 144
Shi Shi beach 144
Shi Shi beach 152
Shi Shi beach 152
Shi Shi beach 157
Shi Shi beach 157
Caves at night
Caves at night
Monday morning my friend Paul (half fast) came motoring in. The sun was out, a perfect day for our plans to explore PotA and beyond at low tide (noon-ish).
half fast
half fast
Closer....
Closer....
Here!
Here!
Shi Shi beach 190
Shi Shi beach 190
Shi Shi beach 191
Shi Shi beach 191
Shi Shi beach 192
Shi Shi beach 192
Switched to 16X9
Switched to 16X9
Shi Shi beach 199
Shi Shi beach 199
Cool bench at PotA
Cool bench at PotA
Sunny
Sunny
Photographing the photographer
Photographing the photographer
I almost stepped right on this at night!
Rictus
Rictus
The dayhike begins
The dayhike begins
Caves during the day
Caves during the day
The inner sanctum
The inner sanctum
Shi Shi beach 220
Shi Shi beach 220
Shi Shi beach 221
Shi Shi beach 221
We went past PotA, sometimes on beach, sometimes on boulders, other times on slippery bedrock. The area just past PotA is the best beach stretch IMO.
Shi Shi beach 231
Shi Shi beach 231
Shi Shi beach 235
Shi Shi beach 235
Shi Shi beach 237
Shi Shi beach 237
Shi Shi beach 238
Shi Shi beach 238
Shi Shi beach 240
Shi Shi beach 240
Shi Shi beach 243
Shi Shi beach 243
Shi Shi beach 246
Shi Shi beach 246
Shi Shi beach 255
Shi Shi beach 255
Shi Shi beach 268
Shi Shi beach 268
Shi Shi beach 274
Shi Shi beach 274
Shi Shi beach 275
Shi Shi beach 275
Shi Shi beach 278
Shi Shi beach 278
An enemy
An enemy
Shi Shi beach 289
Shi Shi beach 289
Shi Shi beach 290
Shi Shi beach 290
Then we came to an overland bypass trail, which we took to the top of a rocky spine with the help of several ropes, to get the good views south. Then there was a very scary trail to the top of a sea stack with incredible views in all directions, with a bit of peeping between tree branches.
Shi Shi beach 292
Shi Shi beach 292
Shi Shi beach 293
Shi Shi beach 293
Father and Son
Father and Son
Shi Shi beach 300
Shi Shi beach 300
Shi Shi beach 303
Shi Shi beach 303
Shi Shi beach 305
Shi Shi beach 305
Shi Shi beach 312
Shi Shi beach 312
Shi Shi beach 313
Shi Shi beach 313
Then we bailed to avoid getting killed by the incoming tide, always an advantage, though it turns out we left about a two hour safety margin. huh.gif Paul decided to lounge in a fish net hammock while I slaved away with the camera. Oh, yeah, and an eagle saved my life.
Shi Shi beach 314
Shi Shi beach 314
Shi Shi beach 319
Shi Shi beach 319
That eagle saved my life!
That eagle saved my life!
Comfy?
Comfy?
Yes!
Yes!
Shi Shi beach 327
Shi Shi beach 327
We got back to camp at 3:30, so we rested up for the sunset, which looked to be good.
Shi Shi beach 332
Shi Shi beach 332
Shi Shi beach 336
Shi Shi beach 336
Shi Shi beach 338
Shi Shi beach 338
Shi Shi beach 343
Shi Shi beach 343
Shi Shi beach 345
Shi Shi beach 345
Shi Shi beach 347
Shi Shi beach 347
Shi Shi beach 346
Shi Shi beach 346
Shi Shi beach 351
Shi Shi beach 351
Shi Shi beach 355
Shi Shi beach 355
Shi Shi beach 356
Shi Shi beach 356
Shi Shi beach 357
Shi Shi beach 357
Shi Shi beach 361
Shi Shi beach 361
Shi Shi beach 363
Shi Shi beach 363
Shi Shi beach 366
Shi Shi beach 366
One regulation bon-type fire!
One regulation bon-type fire!
I stayed up late again, rambling around the beach at low tide listening to music in the dark. No monsters this time. Since Paul lives in the neighborhood, he decided to head back Monday morning, while me being the foreigner, I stayed to milk the last drops of goodness from the weekend. I saw more otters, nice reflections in the sand at low tide, some beach flowers, a sweet view to the north from a rocky ridge, and the prehistoric turtle frozen to stone as he emerged from the waves.
More otters
More otters
Shi Shi beach 385
Shi Shi beach 385
Shi Shi beach 393
Shi Shi beach 393
Shi Shi beach 394
Shi Shi beach 394
Ellen Tea
Ellen Tea
Reflecting on a beach
Reflecting on a beach
Shi Shi beach 426
Shi Shi beach 426
Shi Shi beach 431
Shi Shi beach 431
Shi Shi beach 454
Shi Shi beach 454
Shi Shi beach 466
Shi Shi beach 466
Slanty Sam's slanted shack
Slanty Sam's slanted shack
Shi Shi beach 467
Shi Shi beach 467
The undiscovered country
The undiscovered country
Out of place, but sweet
Out of place, but sweet
Prehistoric stone turtle emerges....
Prehistoric stone turtle emerges....
Shi Shi beach 518
Shi Shi beach 518
At 3 pm I reluctantly said goodbye and headed back up the cliffy trail to the muddy trail. I got back to the car at 4:30, steady hiking at normal speed (fast for me, normal for other people). A leisurely drive home with ferry trip got me back at 10:30, utterly spent. Content, but exhausted, the way it should be. Thanks, Paul, for joining me for Monday and Monday night. I had the best of both worlds, solitude and company. Shi Shi is an expensive trip, but oh so worth it. Let's see, it was $45 gas for the Subaru, $30 ferry fare, $10 for the Makah, $30 to park, and $9 to the national park. That's $124, except I didn't have to pay the $9 since I have the annual Olympic backpacking fee card. I don't count the food, etc, since I must eat wherever I am. It works out to 25 cents per picture I took. A bargain. cool.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed May 25, 2011 3:19 pm 
Sea lions! This has been an annual trip for me (usually July), but I've never seen any! I've seen a number of river otters, though. You camped in the very best site at Shi-Shi! We lucked out and got it one year, even though it was July. My grandkids love that cave; they think it looks like Joe the Monster's cave in Ian Fleming's Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang (the original book, not the movie). Thanks for the garbage haul! The grandkids and I always end up packing out a bunch of other folks' trash, too. Their dad, of course, gets the heavy stuff. Plus, being a surfer, he gets to pack out a soggy wet suit. I wonder how the sea lions would tolerate a human surfer joining them?

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
ejain

ejain
PostWed May 25, 2011 3:23 pm 
Slugman wrote:
$30 to park
$30? Does that include a $20 surcharge for Subarus, or have they raised the price? Where did you park?

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed May 25, 2011 3:24 pm 
As I recall, it was $10/night last year, too.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed May 25, 2011 4:10 pm 
I parked at the place closest to the trail head, at the top of the little hill, with the gated driveway, past "Donna's". It says you must pay $10 for the day you arrive (Sunday for me), $10 for every day you are gone (Monday), and $10 for the day you come back and depart (Tuesday). So a person going for one night would pay $20. Since day hikers can park at the trailhead and pay nothing, there is never a charge of $10. When I went last time, 8 years ago, I parked at Donna's, and it was $20 for two nights at that time. This is in addition to the annual $10 Makah recreation permit. If you read the permit rules, it implies you don't need it to park on private property. It says it is for reservation land and trailheads. I didn't care enough to look into that, I just bought the annual pass.

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostWed May 25, 2011 5:42 pm 
Wonderful photos, i'm super jealous.

half fast

half fast
PostWed May 25, 2011 9:26 pm 
Nice TR slugman... up.gif up.gif Here is my contribution: First off I have to say that Shi Shi to the Pt. of Arches is with out a doubt one of my favorite stretches of WA beaches. The waves are pretty much always loud with spectacular crashings... which to me, is about as good as it gets… biggrin.gif When Slugman – also Paul, had emailed and said that he would be there Sun. through Tues. and invited me along, my mind was working hard on how I could make it out there as well. I had already hiked Sat., I still had business stuff to do and I came up with a plan that could work. I already had an unexpected day off on Tues.. I emailed back and said… I am in. The best way to approach this trail is to remember that it is not whether you will get muddy… but… how muddy you will get. If you have that mindset, it will go a lot better for you… agree.gif
yes, it is still muddy...
yes, it is still muddy...
more mud...
more mud...
Like Paul (the other guy… rotf.gif ) I love the view when you just come out on the beach from the TH…
view from the beah TH
view from the beah TH
I make my way to the campsite and although Paul did not have coffee made and waiting for me… he sure did pick out a great site… up.gif up.gif
my home away from home...
my home away from home...
Flower around my campsite
Flower around my campsite
Camp set up and off we went to our first stop… POA
POA
POA
the Lone Cyprus... ok, it isn't a Cyprus but it is a Lone tree... POA
the Lone Cyprus... ok, it isn't a Cyprus but it is a Lone tree... POA
toooo fun !!... POA
toooo fun !!... POA
Continuing heading South the views just got better…
south of POA
south of POA
this rock is twisted... south of POA
this rock is twisted... south of POA
another lone tree hangin' on for dear life
another lone tree hangin' on for dear life
walking amonst the giants
walking amonst the giants
and another lone tree hangin' on for dear life
and another lone tree hangin' on for dear life
My photos from the Eagles Nest...
Views heading up to the Eagles Nest (name by half fast)
Views heading up to the Eagles Nest (name by half fast)
Views from the Eagles Nest
peek a boo view from the Eagles Nest
peek a boo view from the Eagles Nest
Back at POA for more fun...
Taking a break at POA, reflections and incoming tide
Taking a break at POA, wave action
Taking a break at POA, wave action
Taking a break at POA...
Taking a break at POA...
We were fortunate to be able to enjoy an awesome sunset here is my contribution…
Sunset photos infront of our campsite...
Sunset photos infront of our campsite...
What a great overnighter with awesome sights, sounds and smells... up.gif up.gif Thanks for the invite slugman !! FUN: 100%

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed May 25, 2011 10:06 pm 
I needed you to build the fire. I'm too lazy. embarassedlaugh.gif I can't believe you didn't bring any beer. tongue.gif I like that portrait sunset picture with the sun at the top and all the waves. up.gif up.gif No one has asked how the eagle saved my life. That won't help you, I'm telling it anyway. We were hanging out at PotA, watching the tide roll in, and I saw an eagle, but it was hopping along the beach, quite a way away, behind a log. I didn't know what it was, so I got up and zoomed in on it with the camera, and saw it was an eagle. When I looked back at the spot I had been sitting, it was under water. eek.gif The tide had crested a little rock dam and flooded our seating area. If we hadn't gotten up to see what the heck that eagle was, we would have been wet to mid-calf at least. And I had no spare sneakers. suuure.gif Don't let those mud pictures fool you. I went in and out in low top crosstrainers and my feet stayed dry, with little or no evasive action. Most of the mud is only an inch or two deep, and a lot of it is firm enough that I didn't sink in much, and there are pieces of wood to step on at the worst places. Many times my trekking poles told me the mud was just a thin layer on top of firm trail.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 25, 2011 10:07 pm 
HEY, next time think of me would ya? hockeygrin.gif I would have liked to have gone with you. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed May 25, 2011 10:17 pm 
All right, you're in, and we already have a plan. We are going to boat across Lake Ozette to Allen's Bay, then hike the abandoned Allen's Bay trail to Norwegian Memorial. Half fast has a pontoon boat perfect for one person, and hermes has volunteered his three-man row boat. So all you have to do is row the two of us down there, and you're in. suuure.gif embarassedlaugh.gif After all, it's his boat, and it's my plan, so you have to bring something to the table. ykm.gif We even have a back-up plan: if we can't find or follow the trail, we'll camp at one of the boat-in-only sites right on the lake. That might also be a "plan A" for the future if we do get to Norwegian Memorial the first trip. The reason is that boats don't mind a little extra weight, so a boat-in camp could be pretty luxurious, almost like car camping. It would be nice to eat real food and have ice in my cocktail. hmmm.gif

hermes

hermes
PostWed May 25, 2011 10:53 pm 
Awesome report you two and stunning photos. About that site that you can't get to
- you didn't try hard enough....
Home
Home
I guess you will have to go back! Excellent plan SM smile.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu May 26, 2011 4:14 pm 
two Ps in a pod! what can i say.....from what i read, the Ps had a most excellent time on the coast! Slugman wrote: Then there was a very scary trail to the top of a sea stack with incredible views in all directions, with a bit of peeping between tree branches. eek.gif thank goodness for the eagle! with all those seastacks, caves, nooks and crannies, the search party would have had a difficult time finding 'the Ps' biggrin.gif awesome photos...looks GOLDEN to me tongue.gif ....folks from Kansas and Nebraska are already packing their stuff and heading west! up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostThu May 26, 2011 4:41 pm 
Imagine if you had stepped in it and sunk in right to your knee eek.gif Kinda looks like he was playing fetch with that stick when he died.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu May 26, 2011 5:22 pm 
Just imagining the crunchy yet smooshy noise that would happen if I had stepped on it almost makes me gag right now. Then what would I do with the shoe? Keep wearing it though it stank literally like death? Hike out barefoot? I'm going to have the willies over that one for a while. I have never in my life experienced the physical sensation I did at the moment I turned on the flashlight: it was is if every square inch of my skin was glowing red hot and squirming frantically. And there was a feeling like it spread and propagated over my skin, front to back, like a force field had passed over me. The overland trail to the "eagle's nest" was pretty awesome. Neither of us had been there before. There were about five ropes on the trail up, but they weren't needed going in the up direction on a dry trail. Coming down they sure helped, and with mud they would have been suicide-preventers for sure. Once on top of the ridge, the trail went to the left, apparently down to the next beach, then over the next headland to the south. But we turned right, along the ridge, which was about one foot wide in spots, with deadly drops on both sides, onto sharp rocks and crashing waves. Then it was just a trail after that, to the top of the sea stack. But care was needed, as the cliffs were hidden in the salal bordering the trail. One step to the side to take a whiz, and you'd simply disappear. There was room up there for one small tent or bivy, so someday I will camp up there. agree.gif

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostThu May 26, 2011 5:32 pm 
Great pictures - loved Half fast in the hammock - now that's backpacking up.gif The dead sea lion sounds pretty gross, though.