Forum Index > Trail Talk > Favorite toilet
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostFri Jul 16, 2004 2:32 pm 
While sitting on the pit toilet above Indian Bar in MRNP, I gazed out at the large alpine valley spread out below. All the way up to the glaciers at the valley head and on the ridge to my left. Mountain Goats were grazing just above the valley to my right, and a nice breeze was keeping the bugs off. And I had a thought . This is the best view I've ever had while ********. I know it's a weird thought, but I tend to be a little dizzy.gif sometimes. Where else can you enjoy such nice vistas? What's your favorite?

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
OR Native

OR Native
PostFri Jul 16, 2004 2:37 pm 
On the South Sister in Oregon. While on the Wickiup Plain there is a perfect spot...my dh teases me about it every time. A couple of boulders to block me from the trail, but I can see Mt Bachelor and Three Fingered Jack and look down at Moraine Lake.

JimK

JimK
PostFri Jul 16, 2004 2:39 pm 
I'll take the Mt. David stone igloo anytime. Remember, turn left not right upon exiting.
Mt. David Outhouse
Mt. David Outhouse

Newman

Newman
PostFri Jul 16, 2004 2:41 pm 
this reminds me of a story also in MRNP while on the wonderland trail at mystic lake. i was sitting there, in the rain and snow, bundled up as well as possible considering the circumstances, and up the trail come a couple ladies. i had my hood on, and couldn't hear them until they saw me and started to giggle. i was so embarrassed even though they turned away and walked back from where they came. i guess i can figure why the toilet was turned away from the trail leading to it, but man, i sure would have liked to see them coming so i could have said something. i never saw them, but i bet they hid in the bushes and laughed at me when i came down!

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostFri Jul 16, 2004 2:51 pm 
Tiolet
Jim K that's incredible! I plead ignorance. Where is that? What a view that outhouse must have! eek.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Grinch
Local Burger Tester

Grinch
Local Burger Tester
PostFri Jul 16, 2004 2:52 pm 
The best box is at Image Lake overlooking Glacier Peak. It's the throne with the million dollar view. I have had good ones, but that was the best.

JimK

JimK
PostFri Jul 16, 2004 3:14 pm 
Lead Dog, The view from 7430' is outstanding. Glacier and Clark are to the north. Nothing nearby is tall enough to block much view. Many people hike up David and never know about the outhouse. Highly recommended hike. WTA has several trip reports.

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostFri Jul 16, 2004 3:17 pm 
How many miles roundtrip?

JimK

JimK
PostFri Jul 16, 2004 3:26 pm 
Well, it is 16 miles RT with 5700' gained. Maybe that's why so few have seen that toilet.

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostFri Jul 16, 2004 4:35 pm 
Toilet
It would be worth the climb to sit in that John. How long has it been there? How do they empty it? It looks like it's been there a long time.

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostFri Jul 16, 2004 4:57 pm 
<--------- up.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostFri Jul 16, 2004 6:06 pm 
Lead Dog wrote:
It would be worth the climb to sit in that John. How long has it been there? How do they empty it? It looks like it's been there a long time.
It is a destination crapper. It used to serve the lookout that once stood on the east summit, so I wouldn't think it's much older than the New Deal. Last summer, I found enough flat, gravelly space on the LO plateau to accommodate my sleeping bag. But most folks just stay long enough to have a sandwich. So servicing the IgLoo isn't really an issue. It's also easy to miss. You have to turn left and ascend a little ramp when you get to the graffiti. The hike is surprisingly manageable, but I'm not the best authority on that. (I came back down after a night of sleep and stargazing.) If you go, check on the White River Road. The problems listed in previous trail reports were all resolved as of last September, but I thought I heard more recent problems/work had it compromised.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Vidalia

Vidalia
PostFri Jul 16, 2004 6:39 pm 
Several years ago my first wife and my best friend (her brother) and I spent 5 days at a 5 mile long glacier cut lake in Alaska in the Misty Fiords National Monument area called Humpback Lake. It was 45 miles from Ketchican and 10 miles from the Canadian border. Ketchican Air dropped us off in a float plane at an "A frame" cabin on the lake. The only cabin on the entire lake. The lake had 3,000' clifts across from the cabin, 1,000 year old fir and spruce trees everywhere and a 200' waterfall 50' from the back door. The river that fed the waterfall also fed a 4" supply line to an 8' wide hot tub that was heated by a wood stove that was emersed in the hot tub called a "Snorkel Stove". It also fed a flush toilet in an outhouse about 25' from the cabin. There was no door on the outhouse and the view was of the 3,000' clifts, the blue/green lake, bears that caught Artic Char in the shallows and the Bald Eagles that ate the left overs. The Loons kept a remarkable song going while you sat there and wondered why you were going to be leaving in a few days. Yes, there are moments of clarity that only come when you are sitting on a crapper.

The most difficult thing in life is making a decision to do something..... the rest is only mechanics!
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jul 16, 2004 6:46 pm 
Nothing like being on "**it Patrol" while being a ranger..lol...they do it by helicopter in some places. As for my favorite...the blue open air privy under the lookout cabin on Winchester Mt. A true beauty! And such a view!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Jul 16, 2004 7:13 pm 
Action-B, I'd say you had a cold bottom if you sat on that one in your avatar. I noticed the REI is selling a foldable heat-ring that can be placed on these outdoor privies. Might be something worth looking into. wink.gif As for my best, I think the one up on Sahale Arm has to be one of the best--the view almost makes you almost forget why you are there.