Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Why Cliff Mass is great
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostWed Aug 19, 2009 2:09 pm 
http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/ In this entry Cliff is beating up on everyone's favorite danger boy.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 19, 2009 4:23 pm 
Except his website freezes up my computer...no pun intended. biggrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostWed Aug 19, 2009 8:27 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Except his website freezes up my computer...no pun intended. biggrin.gif
try firefox. I'm surprised his blog caused problems for your browser.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostWed Aug 19, 2009 11:01 pm 
I enjoy his book greatly. I saw him speak during one of the PBS fund raising marathons, he's well spoken too. Good answers to the questions. thank you for the link to his blog. More Cliff !!

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostWed Aug 19, 2009 11:07 pm 
we did a gift exchange at xmas this year and I had his book in my hands until my niece swiped it from me in a surprise last second move. but I was happy she showed even a remote interest in something thought provoking. he updated his entry tonight describing a visit from King 5 to discuss the "extreme" summer we are having. he found it very ironic.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 12:54 pm 
Sign the petition if you think Cliff Mass should be rehired at KUOW. They don't need that many more to reach their goal of 5000. http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/cliffmassonkuow Facebookies can "like" his new page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Put-Cliff-Mass-back-on-KUOW/149155005153152

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 12:58 pm 
Cliff Mass is awesome. On his blog he takes on the sheer idiocy and irrationality of the new math curriculum, and then over some teapot tempest some folks dump him. I hope he makes it back.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 1:05 pm 
Funny I had Cliff Mass as a professor for an Atmospheric Sciences 101 class in the vast Kane Hall at the UW around 30 years ago...

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 1:30 pm 
If I hired a guy to talk about the weather, because that is what he is an expert in, and that's what I want from his show, then he talks about all kinds of other non-weather things, and he ignored repeated requests to knock it off, I'd fire him, too. That said, I like Cliff Mass and I'd like to see him back on the air. But I wouldn't sign a petition with the ludicrous request that the person who fired him be "investigated". huh.gif Nor one that in essence says the radio station cannot have any say in what they air on their station. That is "dreamland" nonsense. down.gif down.gif

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 1:50 pm 
I was curious as to what he was saying that was so controversial - well its here and after reading that and watching the recommended Youtube video I'm not sure that I really agree with him. Correlation doesn't mean causation. I doubt that kids can read an analog clock today with the speed and accuracy of yesteryear but I wouldn't put the blame for that at the feet of Washington public schools. Climate scientists hate it when experts in other fields chime in with an opinion on global warming. It is that unreasonable that professional educations bristle at attacks on their curriculum coming from a climate scientist?

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 2:13 pm 
David¹ wrote:
It is that unreasonable that professional educations bristle at attacks on their curriculum coming from a climate scientist?
Isn't Cliff a professional educator?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 2:33 pm 
Well KUOW is owned by the U of W home of the U of W School of Education. Just like if you were employed by the Seattle Times to write weather forecasts and spent part of your forecast to criticize repealing the Estate Tax. Some employers might take that but not many. Usually ya hafta dance with the one who brought ya.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 2:45 pm 
Slugman wrote:
If I hired a guy to talk about the weather, because that is what he is an expert in, and that's what I want from his show, then he talks about all kinds of other non-weather things, and he ignored repeated requests to knock it off, I'd fire him, too. That said, I like Cliff Mass and I'd like to see him back on the air. But I wouldn't sign a petition with the ludicrous request that the person who fired him be "investigated". huh.gif Nor one that in essence says the radio station cannot have any say in what they air on their station. That is "dreamland" nonsense. down.gif down.gif
They are continually going off topic on all sorts of things from all sides and that is half the fun of the show. Are you not noticing that the informal drift all over the place occurs continually?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 2:47 pm 
Daryl wrote:
David¹ wrote:
It is that unreasonable that professional educations bristle at attacks on their curriculum coming from a climate scientist?
Isn't Cliff a professional educator?
It doesn't take a PhD in math to know that 2+2 isn't 5, and seeing what is wrong with what they are pushing doesn't take a degree either.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 2:57 pm 
Good point, MG. I like the drift, and I like Cliff, but I'm not the boss. I'm just saying that if an employee doesn't do what the boss wants, the boss may pull the plug. If Cliff didn't want to do what they wanted, he should have quit himself. I have quit jobs myself because they wanted me to do something I wasn't comfortable with. And it's not like Cliff needed this job to keep body and soul together. This was a sideline for him.