Forum Index > Trail Talk > Favorite toilet
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hiker1

hiker1
PostSat Jun 04, 2011 11:23 pm 
Slightly off topic, a humorous article by Tony Flower: "A Reverent Ode to the Outdoor Commode" http://www.hollyburnheritagesociety.ca/s_134.asp

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hiker1

hiker1
PostSat Jun 04, 2011 11:58 pm 
Quark wrote:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:41 pm Quark wrote: ¨ I don’t know about the best view - but I know where a haunted one is….Mineral Park campground off Mid Fk Cascade Rv Rd. There was movement in that thing, and not the kind you’d think. I couldn’t get out of there fast enough.
Strange! Did you ever figure out what it was, or ever go back, or speak to the Forest Service or local manager about it? I've camped there and did not experience any problem. But your comment reminds me of a weird experience I had when staying overnight at the Sauk Mtn. trail parking lot in my vehicle a couple of years ago. My vehicle was the only one there that night, and no one else was there but me. In the middle of the night I was woken by the noise of the outhouse door slamming shut. WTF!!! It's about 50 ft to the outhouse along the trail from the parking lot, and I got used to this noise from using the outhouse: the door is on a spring, so it takes a little effort to open the door. Could someone have been camping nearby but not have a vehicle, and not wanted anyone to see them? Could it have been a bear, or strong raccoon, that learned how to open the door?
Outhouse at Sauk Mtn. trailhead. Credit: mauricio
Outhouse at Sauk Mtn. trailhead. Credit: mauricio

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jun 05, 2011 2:29 am 
I don't have half the trail crapping experience of most here, but my favorite one so far is the one at Silver Lake up near Poodle dog pass. I was hiking there with a couple of friends a few years ago and he had to go badly. Some ass o hat had turned the toilet sign to point in the wrong direction, I thought he was going to crap his pants while trying to find it.....we were loling as he frantically tried to find it. It is hidden just over the west ridge that leads up to Silvertip peak, great view, I will have to take a picture should I ever venture that way again.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 05, 2011 8:55 am 
My fav is the one I have!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostSun Jun 05, 2011 9:32 am 
Thread necromancy at it's best! My difficulty is that I don't know ahead of times which areas in the ALW or GPW have a pit available and which do not. I have come across a couple that were not signed or obvious and I was just lucky to notice them. Maybe I should break down and buy a GPS and have folks upload "craper co-ordinates" to help I think the view from the Lake Ellen Wilson seat in Glacier NP was one of my favorites, but I was seeing eagles and osprey that day, which added to the view.

Oarboar
Comically unhip

Oarboar
Comically unhip
PostSun Jun 05, 2011 12:33 pm 
mbtigger wrote:
Maybe I should break down and buy a GPS and have folks upload "craper co-ordinates" to help
That reminds me of this: http://www.toiletmap.gov.au/ This thread also reminds me of the story I heard about some Central American science project that was near a bat cave. Someone there had the bright idea of parking the outhouse over one of those caves, which meant that bats often would fly out of there. They neglected to explain that whole bat thing to newbies using the outhouse for the first time. eek.gif clown.gif

Sadly, right now I'm a poseur. Sigh.
Tangeman
ride the storm

Tangeman
ride the storm
PostSun Jun 05, 2011 12:59 pm 
Without giving away TMI I tend to get constipated while backpacking hockeygrin.gif (ewww!) so not much trail crapping expertise here either. But I will say I do like the one at Larch Knob.
approx view, this luxury latrine is a little ways to the left of here.
approx view, this luxury latrine is a little ways to the left of here.

"Civilization is a nice place to visit, although I wouldn't want to live there." My photos
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostSun Jun 05, 2011 6:07 pm 
We found this baby when backpacking in Lofoten.
Dapper crapper
Dapper crapper

yowzer

yowzer
PostSun Jun 05, 2011 9:11 pm 
I'd never heard of Mt. David before reading this thread. And now I'm thinking about a trip there this summer just to see this rock toilet in person. I'm not a freak, honest! clown.gif

carppdiem
Man of Bronze

carppdiem
Man of Bronze
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 8:14 am 
Grinch wrote:
The best box is at Image Lake overlooking Glacier Peak. It's the throne with the million dollar view. I have had good ones, but that was the best.
There are actually two boxes here. I was sitting on the upper one enjoying the view of Glacier Peak once, and noticed movement out of the corner of my eye. I then realized I also had a great view of the lower box and it's occupant. moon.gif Here's a nice one that was at Park Butte lookout (right next to the trail). Not sure if it exists anymore:
83park butte008
83park butte008

"And I know it seems easy," said Piglet to himself, "but it isn't everyone who could do it."
Todd Ler

Todd Ler
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 11:56 am 
I like this thread from 2004! prusik peak from inspiration lake toilet

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 4:04 pm 
Please try to refrain from the "I've gone there" reaction if you recognize the outhouse. flush.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jun 07, 2011 12:18 am 
carppdiem wrote:
83park butte008
83park butte008
That pic is soooo not right!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
dennyt

dennyt
PostTue Jun 07, 2011 1:38 pm 
Sahale Glacier Camp for sure!
Best. View. EVER! 
Sahale Glacier Campground, North Cascades National Park, 7600' elevation.
Best. View. EVER! Sahale Glacier Campground, North Cascades National Park, 7600' elevation.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Oct 21, 2011 11:14 pm 
carppdiem wrote:
Here's a nice one that was at Park Butte
83park butte008
83park butte008
Shouldn't that be "Park Butt"?

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin