Forum Index > Food & Grub > Healthy food?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Sep 11, 2006 10:55 am 
I'm going to be working a major corporate event starting later this week. It's about nine days of 14-20 hour days. Last year at the same event, the institutional food made me pretty sick after a few days, so this year I gotta strategize a bit. I'm looking for food ideas. Needs to be: healthy, first and foremost. A body can't survive long working hours on junky stuff relatively shelf stable--I won't have access to proper refrigeration or a microwave or stove tasty, sustaining involving minimal prep at home I've thought of a few things already. Odwalla juice, dried fruits and nuts, partially assembled sammiches and wraps. Anyone have any suggestions?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostMon Sep 11, 2006 11:03 am 
in such situations, I've used a soft sided cooler with ice packs to pack in leftovers (pasta, chili or stir-fry (if you make a big batch of rice ahead of time and freeze some) are easy, 20 minute meals to make when you get home). hummus and raw veggies too.

The Tamster

The Tamster
PostMon Sep 11, 2006 11:35 am 
I have the same eating dilemna and I came across these ideas in a sports nutrition book.... oatmeal, cereal, dried milk, packaged salmon, chicken or tuna, crackers, dried fruit, nuts, peanut butter (now sold in mini to-go containers) bagels, granola bars, energy bars and jerky. If you have a cooler (or an ice pack) you can bring in yogurt, veggies, cheese, hard-boiled eggs, and deli-meat.

wbs

wbs
PostMon Sep 11, 2006 5:07 pm 
Smoked Trout on crackers wink.gif Yummers!

treasureblue
Distant Cousin

treasureblue
Distant Cousin
PostMon Sep 11, 2006 7:53 pm 
This is the perfect time of year for a fresh apple. Bring a bento knife (or pocket knife to slice). I'd bring a squeezy tube of peanut butter to add a little protein. Sounds like you've got the wrap idea down. I'd put just about anything in a whole wheat tortilla or pita. Here's one idea for a pita; artichoke hearts, reconstituted sun-dried tomato, sliced black olives, and maybe a little feta cheese. If you've got a small insulated bag with ice pack, how about sushi style (california rolls, cucumber rolls, etc)?

"Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow." ~Henry David Thoreau.
treasureblue
Distant Cousin

treasureblue
Distant Cousin
PostMon Sep 11, 2006 8:05 pm 
Also my latest addiction, if you have a Thai or Vietnamese take-out nearby (or if you're up to making them), you might consider Vietnamese fresh spring rolls (unfried). I think they would be great to carry (wrapped in plastic and kept in an insulated bag). I've never been able to carry them out of the restaurant; they're consumed on the spot!

"Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow." ~Henry David Thoreau.
gyngve

gyngve
PostTue Sep 12, 2006 12:48 pm 
I like the Trader Joes cans of Cuban-style black beans. Cook some rice the night before to mix with the beans.

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostTue Sep 12, 2006 12:55 pm 
marylou wrote:
...... suggestions?
You could also include the liquid yogurt in the small bottles. Yogurt does not spoil easily because it's already been 'spoiled' by good bacteria so a sealed bottle can go without refrigeration for a day easily. It's got lots of good protein and calcium, and the beneficial bacteria, is, as they say, quite beneficial, in several ways.

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostTue Sep 12, 2006 12:58 pm 
I guess it doesn't need to be the liquid yogurt, any of the regular little containers should be fine even when warm as long as they're sealed.

Justan

Justan
PostThu Sep 14, 2006 7:20 am 
Put dried ice in a cooler and you can keep anything cool or frozen depending on how close to the ice it is. And dried ice lasts a long time.

-Justan Elk
jimmylegs
"BRB...JK."

jimmylegs
"BRB...JK."
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 6:37 am 
organic sprouts

guns don't kill people, blood loss and organ damage do.
Luc

Luc
PostTue Jun 07, 2011 12:34 am 
Yes, but beware that fresh spring rolls will dry out in a day or two, even when wrapped in plastic wrap. Breaks m'heart. No kidding.

GNGSTR