Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > WILD SKY LOCKUP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sailBOI
Access Public Lands

sailBOI
Access Public Lands
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 7:33 am 
CLOSED - KEEP OUT - The message to all you Hikers ! The Wild Sky Wilderness is being pushed by some of the same groups that are trying to Keep the Dosewallips Access Rd. closed. Their claim that Wild Sky will ensure continued access is a FABRICATION. As soon as a road washes out, they will be there with a KEEP OUT SIGN ! You have until this Thursday to send a letter to the Congress for inclusion in the Public Hearings scheduled. Sample Letter (multi-page letter replaced with link by Admin) Thanking you in advance for taking the time to do this. No matter where you live or what you do for a living, please take a few minutes and send an email to resources.committee@mail.house.gov or fax 202-225-5929 to Chairman Richard Pombo at the House Resources Committee expressing your personal opposition to the creation of ANY new wilderness designation, including -- but not limited to -- the Wild Sky Wilderness Proposal, also known as House Bill 822. A gentleman in Washington State, Ed Husmann, asks that you provide him with a copy of your letters so that he may hand-carry a hopefully HUGE stack of them to Washington, D.C. for next Thursday's hearing. You can email him your letter at edforforests@msn.com or fax it to him at 360-793-7870, but please know that by so doing, you give a great help to not only him and other Washingtonians, but also to everyone that values the ability to enjoy more about lands and waters than a CLOSED sign, which is what H.R. 822 would do. rant.gif

I am working on reopening the Dosewallips Road for campers and hikers . Join our effort at : www.brinnonprosperity.org
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Vidalia

Vidalia
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 7:44 am 
I respectfully disagree with your opinion concerning Wilderness Designation and will continue to actively promote what I belive to be the best use for public lands. I have found that in most cases it is good to have extreme opinions on issues because it tends to create active discussion. I read your post with great interest and tried to see the issue from your point of view. Please try and do the same with what you probably consider the "opposition".

The most difficult thing in life is making a decision to do something..... the rest is only mechanics!
Vidalia

Vidalia
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 8:02 am 
Yes, but as the Captain said in Lonesome Dove, "Ain't never an excuse for rude behavior!"

The most difficult thing in life is making a decision to do something..... the rest is only mechanics!
Vidalia

Vidalia
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 8:36 am 
I agree this post does not belong here and should be moved, to the trash!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 8:42 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
If you check out SAIboy's website or other postings on Cascade Climbers you will see he is just another right wing antienviornmentalist. moon.gif
He has a point Mal, and to ignore it only places you 180 degree out from him, but on the extreme as much as you say he is. As I have said, there is enough wilderness in this state for hikers to enjoy. There is not anywhere near enough recreational land for alternate forms of recreation. By choosing to ignore, or worse yet condemn those forms of recreation you diminish your own TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 9:20 am 
I think the Wild Sky area is worthy of wilderness designation. I also think when an area gets such a designation, a proper funding mechanism should be created as well (is this part of the Wild Sky bill)? That ensures than I don't end up paying $200 for my trail park pass when fee "demo" gets extended for the 20th time some day in the future.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 9:48 am 
I knew it was just a matter of time before sailBOI infected this place as well. Be warned, the repeated spamming you pull at cc.com wil not be tolerated here.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 9:50 am 
Aside from the errors in this form letter, it misses the practical realities of the situation at hand. We're well past the comment stage on this issue and the party in question isn't exactly undecided either. Pombo opposes wilderness unabashedly and no amount of letters for or against will change that. Wild Sky also has about as strong a support group among legislators and various interest groups as any wilderness in Washington could have. No one, even Pombo, is gonna believe otherwise just because they get some long form letter. What's actually going to happen is that a bunch of aides will collect these letters and then they'll get thrown away. After that the real debate begins. George Nethercutt is going to decide what he wants for Wild Sky in order to come across as a moderate who can appeal to W. WA voters for his Senate campaign and if it matters enough for him to call in a favor from Pombo for it. And Pombo will decide, with some nudging from other GOP bigwigs, whether helping Nethercutt politically is worth creating some of that yucky wilderness stuff. That's it. It's a balancing act between two guys, figuring out how to maximize political oppurtunity for one at the expense of creating a federal designation that the other is opposed to in principle and practice.

sailBOI
Access Public Lands

sailBOI
Access Public Lands
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 11:51 am 
MCaver wrote:
I knew it was just a matter of time before sailBOI infected this place as well. Be warned, the repeated spamming you pull at cc.com wil not be tolerated here.
OK , lets see...........are you saying that access is not being systematically reduced ? or.......that it is not a Hiking issue ?? Are persons not agreeing with you unqualified to comment ??

I am working on reopening the Dosewallips Road for campers and hikers . Join our effort at : www.brinnonprosperity.org
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 12:19 pm 
No, we just dont need any trouble makers around these parts. paranoid.gif moon.gif biggrin.gif moon.gif biggrin.gif moon.gif biggrin.gif moon.gif biggrin.gif moon.gif biggrin.gif moon.gif biggrin.gif moon.gif biggrin.gif moon.gif biggrin.gif moon.gif biggrin.gif moon.gif biggrin.gif moon.gif biggrin.gif moon.gif biggrin.gif moon.gif biggrin.gif moon.gif biggrin.gif moon.gif biggrin.gif moon.gif biggrin.gif paranoid.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 2:18 pm 
sailBOI wrote:
are you saying that access is not being systematically reduced ? or that it is not a Hiking issue ?? Are persons not agreeing with you unqualified to comment ??
Read exactly what I said: "the repeated spamming you pull at cc.com wil not be tolerated here". Thats exactly what I mean. Anything else is you reading tings into it. And it has nothing to do with whether I agree with you or not. I didn't weigh in ether way, did I? It means that a barrage of links across forums in an effort to garner support for a cause (any cause) will be treated like the spam it is. If you want to be a member of this community and raise awareness about something you care about, then great. But posting the same things over and over is spam and will be treated as such.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 2:19 pm 
I haven't seen this guy cause any trouble here. He posted something some folks don't like. And then a lot of accusations for behaviors not exhibited here. Lets see how it develops rather than piling on a person new here.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 2:20 pm 
Look at his posting history. It's already started. But this is just a warning. He's as welcome as anyone else, but spam is spam and will be dealt with as such, no matter who it is from.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 3:18 pm 
I guess I don't see how this is any different than the political junkies who spam this site every day. moon.gif At least SailBOI's posts bear some relationship to hiking. The DC wasn't intended to serve as a place where subjects are moved so people can spray. The DC is a place where people can discuss off topic politics and be complete dufuses if they so choose without annoying the rest of us who could care less about politics. If a topic degenerates into off topic political spray it will be moved to the DC. I'm moving this back to Trail Talk because it is a topic worthy of discussion even if it's all wet. It's really too bad open discussion wasn't around when our hiking "advocates" were planning the future of the MFK. SailBOI, I think most of us would prefer not to see a new thread created every time you give an update on i.e. the dosewallips road. It might help if you limit your updates to ONE THREAD per topic. And if you could provide links instead of cutting and pasting long form letters it would be appreciated as very long posts tend to strain our database and search tables.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 7:53 pm 
The letter you advise people to use is probably the worst I have ever seen and must be a joke. C'mon - what busy government official wants to read what you think Christopher Columbus thought....?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting