Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Index (6-19-2011)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun Jun 19, 2011 10:17 pm 
Redwic and I attempted Index today by the west ridge route. The forecast predicted 40% chance of showers before noon, becoming partly sunny. WRONG! Constant drizzle, whiteout, and sloppy snow slowed our progress even though we got an early start. We timed out when we reached the saddle just northeast of Point 5212. Sucktacular bushwhacking video:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jun 19, 2011 10:22 pm 
Brutal. bawl.gif

veronika

veronika
PostSun Jun 19, 2011 10:29 pm 
Looks like our trip and wonderful forecast as well!

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSun Jun 19, 2011 10:34 pm 
Doh. Yeah, the weather was worse than forecasted today and far worse than they claimed a couple of days ago. I was regretting telling Redwic yesterday that you guys should still do Index. I'm sure that under dry conditions you would have gotten it with no problem. That route definitely has some brush on the upper road and above the road. That young evergreen type brush is ten times worse when it is wet. If you guys got above 5000' then you were done with the hardest part too so too bad that you didn't make the top. But it just means you can visit the mtn again. smile.gif The traverse looks cool athough the view looking back at it from Index makes it appear rather challenging in spots.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSun Jun 19, 2011 10:34 pm 
That road bushwhack was very annoying... and time-consuming. Will somebody please bring a machete? lol.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Jun 19, 2011 10:41 pm 
That's the best bushwhacking video I've seen -- I'm always so preoccupied with the job at hand I forget about the camera until I'm through with it. I'm impressed you made it as far as you did -- if you got to that saddle you did most of the hard work, with just the rewarding part ahead of you. You'll get it next time. Index really deserves a clear day.
Index summit pano
Index summit pano

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostSun Jun 19, 2011 10:47 pm 
That's too bad you guys didn't make it, but good on you for getting out on the wet side in today's weather. By any chance were you able to get any shots of Index at all? I'm just curious about how much snow is still up there.

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostSun Jun 19, 2011 11:09 pm 
Thanks for the post Gimpilator. up.gif A buddy and I are considering giving it a shot next weekend. I've already attempted it twice; the highest I've reached is ~4,800'. At what elevation did you encounter continuous snow cover? Would you advise snowshoes?

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
veronika

veronika
PostSun Jun 19, 2011 11:29 pm 
summithound wrote:
Thanks for the post Gimpilator. up.gif A buddy and I are considering giving it a shot next weekend. I've already attempted it twice; the highest I've reached is ~4,800'. At what elevation did you encounter continuous snow cover? Would you advise snowshoes?
Next weekend eh? I am interested in tagging along if it happens. PM me if it's a go! This has been on my list for a while.

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Jun 19, 2011 11:50 pm 
I should have advertised the bush whack better in my trip report: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7989844 I suppose by now I'm used to it. Now if you think this is bad, try Mount Zekes in winter. You not only get the big creek crossing, the long traveling, but the best part is that you have big bushes that are snow covered getting you soaking wet. lol.gif Believe me Adam I know what it felt like what you went though. In fact, when I was on Index earlier this year there were a few thick spots where I got a little cut up on my arms from them. shakehead.gif Anyways good work Gimpilator! cool.gif

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Jun 20, 2011 6:31 am 
nice raingear!

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Jun 20, 2011 8:12 am 
summithound wrote:
Don't bring snowshoes. It would be a waste of weight and load. Bring an ice axe. Microspikes and/or crampons highly recommended... my microspikes worked very well. We encountered sporadic snow on the road above 3600', and continuous snow on the road, and everywhere higher, above 3700'. The snow was mostly "Cascade concrete" until reaching the basin at ~4700' prior to the saddle... there it was surprisingly still unconsolidated. Those forest slopes are STEEP... I would not want to cross them during an in-between stage of snowmelt and tree/log wells... which looks like it will be here very soon. We could have made the summit, but it would have required taking unnecessary risks. When we reached the basin at ~4700' elevation, the ridge and upper slopes were in near-whiteout conditions. We could not even see 100 yards ahead of us; the summit area never came into view. Also, we could have made the summit in daylight (and I use that term loosely based on the overcast clouds), but that would have required us to be descending steep sloppy snow near cliffs as lighting waned. Not good. It's better to be safe than sorry, and I certainly did not want to be remembered as dying on Father's Day. My family would not like that. wink.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Jun 20, 2011 8:58 am 
I agree with Craig, snow shoes are not necessary. I believe the reason the snow became sloppy was because of all the rain. Neither of us took any pictures because of the bad visibility. I'm tempted to go back next weekend myself because I think after next weekend, the snow will melt out, and brush conditions on the traverse around Point 5212 will become unfavorable. To maximize your chance of success, I would suggest a car camp at the gate and starting no later than 5 am.
flatsqwerl wrote:
nice raingear!
Actually it's funny you mention that. I own several rain coats and even had one with me, but when it's super wet I always prefer a poncho for breathability.

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostMon Jun 20, 2011 9:04 am 
Gimpilator wrote:
but when it's super wet I always prefer a poncho for breathability
"The Poncholator" wink.gif

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostMon Jun 20, 2011 9:09 am 
Did you guys park at the closed gate on the Proctor Creek Road and bike to the trailhead? I heard you mention in your video that your intent was to follow the Persis route on the descent ...

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.