Forum Index > Trail Talk > Private drive but no "No Trespassing" sign.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gestalt

Gestalt
PostTue Jul 12, 2011 7:53 pm 
Does a "Private Drive" sign mean the same as thing as a "No Trespassing" sign? I came upon a situation yesterday with a road what was gated and signed "Private Drive" and didn't know if that means no trespassing or something less. What is the law's take on private drives? Thanks. Edward

Keep Walking.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Jul 12, 2011 8:25 pm 
I'd consider them synonymous for all intents and purposes. If it's gated and there's a sign posted, it's a pretty sure indication they don't want others to be wandering onto their land.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Jul 12, 2011 8:38 pm 
I always considered anything not marked as mine (like National Forest) as private and by default is no trespassing. Not sure if the law sees it that way though.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Jul 12, 2011 8:49 pm 
Take it as synonymous with "no tresspassing". My land isn't posted "no tresspassing". That does not mean everybody and their brother are welcome to set up a picnic and enjoy the view without even asking. (this happens more often than you would expect. It is not appreciated.)

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Bandanabraids
Plodding along

Bandanabraids
Plodding along
PostTue Jul 12, 2011 9:33 pm 
If there is a gate and it is locked it means they don't want you or anybody else back there without an invitation.

"Do or do not. There is no try" --Yoda
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Jul 12, 2011 9:52 pm 
I think it's similar to seeing a sign on a piece of land that says Private Property. It's not exactly the same as No Trespassing, but it's pretty close.

Gestalt

Gestalt
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 12:05 am 
Thank you all for your replies. Edward

Keep Walking.
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 6:51 am 
Private Road or Private Drive means the road provides access to one or more properties/homes but was never dedicated to the public. Private Roads remain easements to which the adjacent property owners retain rights and also have the responsibility of maintaining. Some private road or land owners will grant access to the public, Juniper Forest east of Pasco was like this for a while. But always seek permission first before setting foot on private property. I think "No Trespassing" not only means the land is private property but the owners are also willing to enforce it by law.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
vibramhead

vibramhead
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 10:33 am 
jenjen wrote:
Take it as synonymous with "no tresspassing". My land isn't posted "no tresspassing". That does not mean everybody and their brother are welcome to set up a picnic and enjoy the view without even asking. (this happens more often than you would expect. It is not appreciated.)
I agree that "private drive" should be read to mean no trespassing. But regarding entry on rural land, it's a little more complicated. In many states, one isn't trespassing unless the land is posted. In Oregon, there are specific standards for posting land that abuts a public road. You need a "no trespassing" sign every quarter mile, or a fluorescent orange paint blaze at least 50 sq. in. big.

Gamuru
Cartographile

Gamuru
Cartographile
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 11:17 am 
It was my understanding that in Washington State, posting is not required, meaning it's against the law to trespass on private property without permission even if the land is not posted. EDIT: After doing a little additional research, it appears to not be so clear cut. The law states:
Quote:
RCW 9A.52.080 Criminal trespass in the second degree. (1) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the second degree if he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises of another under circumstances not constituting criminal trespass in the first degree.
In the definitions section it states:
Quote:
RCW 9A.52.010 Definitions. (3) "Enters or remains unlawfully". A person "enters or remains unlawfully" in or upon premises when he is not then licensed, invited, or otherwise privileged to so enter or remain. ... A person who enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land, which is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders, does so with license and privilege unless notice against trespass is personally communicated to him by the owner of the land or some other authorized person, or unless notice is given by posting in a conspicuous manner. Land that is used for commercial aquaculture or for growing an agricultural crop or crops, other than timber, is not unimproved and apparently unused land if a crop or any other sign of cultivation is clearly visible or if notice is given by posting in a conspicuous manner. Similarly, a field fenced in any manner is not unimproved and apparently unused land. A license or privilege to enter or remain on improved and apparently used land that is open to the public at particular times, which is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner to exclude intruders, is not a license or privilege to enter or remain on the land at other times if notice of prohibited times of entry is posted in a conspicuous manner;
I read that to say that unless it's posted (either verbal or signed) on unimproved land (not being gated and/or fenced), you can enter.

Don "The definition of a mine is a hole in the ground that belongs to a liar." ~Mark Twain
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 12:36 pm 
Good info. The OP's original question included a gate on the road, which I would take to be "fenced" and not "unimproved", so it would be trespassing. Imagine my car breaks down, and my cell phone is out of range. I want to ask a nearby homeowner to let me use their phone to call AAA. I see a driveway marked "Private Drive", I'm going to walk up and knock. I see one marked "No Trespassing", then I'm not. I'm assuming no gate in either scenario. Private drive seems more like "Don't come up here thinking it's a road, please have some legitimate business". No Trespassing means they might have a gun and an itchy trigger finger. embarassedlaugh.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 12:49 pm 
Maybe they need a sign like this one I saw in Idaho to better clarify? I assume they mean that they will shoot a picture of you....

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 5:53 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Maybe they need a sign like this one I saw in Idaho to better clarify? I assume they mean that they will shot a picture of you....
I always like the ones that say: "Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again."

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 6:05 pm 
MtnDog had the closest to the correct answer. Usually private drive means a drive that is not a public road. No Trespassing means the owner does not give you permission to be there. Frequently this is done to prevent the strict liability to owners that occurs if invitees are injured on their property. It used to be if you had a hunting or fishing license you could enter any land not posted, I do not know if this is still the case. The law can get complicated when criminal trespass is involved especially if self defense is raised. You are not privileged to shot trespassers inmost cases but if they enter a dwelling house you may well be allowed to do so. This is not and is not intended to be legal advice.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 6:48 pm 
I assume that all private property is "no trespassing" by default, sign or not. Coming from Texas, crossing private land because it's unmarked is a good way to catch a bullet. tongue.gif