Forum Index > Trip Reports > Coal and Independence lakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 12, 2011 8:57 pm 
After Kelcema we headed up the Coal lake road. The road is snow free to the Independence lake trail. Coal was nice and snow free. Independence is mostly still frozen. I took some outlet photos, but without my tripod they didnt turn out as well as I'd hoped. When we got back to the parking lot we decided to look for the Pass lake trail. There was a lot of some and we couldnt really find it. I did find a great waterfall. Again, without my tripod it didnt turn out too well. A great day in the mountains.
Coal lake
Coal lake
Independence lake trail
Independence lake trail
Independence lake
Independence lake
Independence lake
Independence lake
Independence lake
Independence lake
Independence lake
Independence lake
Independence lake
Independence lake
Independence outlet
Independence outlet
Independence outlet
Independence outlet
Pass lake outlet flow
Pass lake outlet flow

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 12:09 am 
I've always wanted to explore the valley up behind Coal lake. It looks pretty interesting on the map. Too bad I don't have a raft. hmmm.gif embarassedlaugh.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 7:09 am 
You can always borrow one of mine Sluggo.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Naffer
What's Up!

Naffer
What's Up!
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 7:51 am 
The trail to Independence lake was very nice for that area, wide, switchbacks,good water crossings,all in all a very nice short hike. how is the trail to North lake I wonder?

"Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth." -Charles A. Dana (1819 - 1897)
aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 6:00 pm 
I've been kind of curious about this area for a while anyway. Is the "nice waterfall" you refer to the one on the Pass Lake outlet? That's a very pretty little waterfall. Any height estimate on that one? Also, can you get a view across the valley to the creek coming out of Devils Lake where Double Eagle Falls is supposed to be?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 6:33 pm 
Wolf, yes that nice falls is through the woods on the way to pass lake. I stumbled upon it while hiking through the snow to the lake. I was not on the trail. Im interested in hiking to Devils lake. I dont think you can see the falls area or the lake area from any road. I found the side road that heads the Devils lake way and I plan on hiking it in a couple weeks. Tom

Gamuru
Cartographile

Gamuru
Cartographile
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 7:11 pm 
Those that have gone looking for the lost mine up around Devil's Lake recommend bringing good gloves to guard against the abundance of Devil's Club in the area.

Don "The definition of a mine is a hole in the ground that belongs to a liar." ~Mark Twain
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 7:19 pm 
There is a mine near the lake?

Gamuru
Cartographile

Gamuru
Cartographile
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 7:24 pm 
Dunno... it's lost. wink.gif

Don "The definition of a mine is a hole in the ground that belongs to a liar." ~Mark Twain
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 7:31 pm 
Well Im going to try driving then walking up that skid road as high as it goes. The map shows less than a 1000' of elevation from that point to the lake. Ill probably try the outlet.

Gamuru
Cartographile

Gamuru
Cartographile
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 7:34 pm 
The Discovering Washington's Historic Mines, Vol. 1 book says:
Quote:
Deer Creek Mines ...Drive up [Deer Creek Road] 1 mile and watch for a wide spot on the right with the remains of an old logging road leading off into the brush. This road is now impassable by vehicle, but you can walk to near its end, where a trail takes off to Devil's Lakes and the area of the Double Eagle Mines. These consist of a series of short adits that you can seek out for yourself. These mines were said to contain free-milling gold. One adit is known to be near the falls at the first switchback and another along the trail to the lake, but we have not visited either of them.
Hope that whets your appetite!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 7:48 pm 
Thanks Gams. Dang, I passed that road and looked at it. I didnt think it was that one as it is terminated so soon off the main road. I thought the other right fork a few miles up the main road was the proper fork. Thanks.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostThu Jul 14, 2011 2:00 pm 
It's one of those fine dug up major tank trap roads, so get ready for some up and down scrambling about every 100 ft. Have fun!.....smile.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostThu Jul 14, 2011 10:57 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I found the side road that heads the Devils lake way and I plan on hiking it in a couple weeks.
When are you planning on doing this? I'll be busy with school work for the next couple weekends but if you wait until after that I might be interested in tagging along.

daffish

daffish
PostFri Jul 15, 2011 9:49 am 
Slugman wrote:
I've always wanted to explore the valley up behind Coal lake. It looks pretty interesting on the map. Too bad I don't have a raft.
You won't need a raft as there is a user trail thru the talus that skirts the edge of the lake on the NE side. Be prepared for thick Alder at the end of the lake and then if you push thru that, it is a thick swack up into the valley. I have been there several times when scrambling Beavor Peak and Anthacite Peak.

"Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter