Forum Index > Food & Grub > Meal bars that are not sweet
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Rowland

Rowland
PostSun Jul 17, 2011 11:30 am 
Has anyone seen, made or tried any meal bars that are not sugar based? I am thinking about lunch or dinner bars that are more vegetable/grain/fat based. Lasagna bars, enchilada bars, au gratin potato bars, etc. I like the idea of a meal in a bar but am getting kind of tired of all the sugar based bars on the market. Would you consider trying such a product? If so, why are they not available? Got any recipe ideas? Thanks a bunch.

"I don't know if I done rite or wrong but I always tried to do what I thought best. --Kit Carson
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Jul 17, 2011 4:44 pm 
The Complete Hiker guy used to push a "meal bar" that is/was bacon - based. I don't know if they still make them, but he was quite sold on the things. smile.gif

Rowland

Rowland
PostSun Jul 17, 2011 5:22 pm 
I remember back in the 70's and 80's they used to sell bacon bars at REI and other stores. I am thinking of something more nutritionally complete in bar form.

"I don't know if I done rite or wrong but I always tried to do what I thought best. --Kit Carson
Rowland

Rowland
PostSun Jul 17, 2011 5:37 pm 
I've been looking for recipes on the interwebs but most of them are low fat/low carb. Not what I am looking for.

Phil

Phil
PostSun Jul 17, 2011 10:01 pm 
Clif makes some that are *less* sugary, more savory, FWIW.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jul 17, 2011 10:36 pm 
Larabars uses dates as a sweetener, although some bars have sugary sweeteners in them.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jul 18, 2011 1:43 pm 
Why are dates used in bars? Pretty simple - they are extraordinarily sweet but also work as a binder to the nuts (same with raisins). You can grind nuts with nearly anything in a food processor and make bars yourself. But of course shelf life is also why fruit and nuts work well together. Dried fruit lasts a long time. Want some recipes?

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Rowland

Rowland
PostWed Jul 20, 2011 4:25 pm 
Do you have any recipes for bars with nuts, whole grains, vegetables and meat or TVP v.s. those with fruits and sugars? I'd love to put some together for a long Pasayten hike in September. Thanks!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 20, 2011 4:30 pm 
One issue with meat and vegetables is to be edible they won't have a shelf life of long (since they need to be flexible). But....you could always consider doing real pemmican. Which was jerky, rendered fat and usually berries. Not very appetizing though. In all honesty though if you want to avoid sugar and fruit I suggest carrying jerky and adding a ton of veggies to your meals - for example I add diced dried carrots and tomatoes to lentils - all precooked and dried of course - and rehydrate with cold water, then add a salad dressing (single serving packets) and make a salad out of it. Really good actually! I know that avoiding sugar isn't a bad thing - but neither is it totally horrible for hiking. Dried fruit is easily used by the body and is a great source of fiber and potassium so don't discount it!

Rowland

Rowland
PostWed Jul 20, 2011 4:42 pm 
Thanks for your wisdom. I am coming to that realization, as well. Now I am thinking about some sort of heavy dense bread that can be dipped in olive oil or margarine or eaten with cheese, soup, etc. I added your blog to my favorites list, BTW. Very cool.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 20, 2011 5:24 pm 
Now your talking! I loves some thick bread - I have carried most types well smile.gif And there is nothing better than the single packets of EVOO and some spices/herbs added for dipping. One trip I made my oldest carry an 8X8" brick of foccacia bread on the back of his pack biggrin.gif On homemade bread the dense logan breads do carry well.

KellieD

KellieD
PostTue Aug 02, 2011 5:41 pm 
Go to www.marksdailyapple.com and do a search for Primal Energy Bars. Nutritional info provided. Primal energy bars redux is very tasty. Read the comments as well.

Every day a new adventure.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 1:51 pm 
I just got an email from these guys http://www.journeybar.com/ They make some savory bars and they are showing at Outdoor Retailer. I will try to make it by to try their bars when I'm down there.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
johnnyk331

johnnyk331
PostThu Aug 25, 2011 6:12 am 
Tried them. Overall, I would say they are great. Especially the Coconut Curry and the Parmesan flavors (those were my favorites.) I think the Barbecue would have been really good for someone who likes Barbecue, and I just don't really like Wasabi in general. The textures of the bars were not like most other bars. They are a little bit drier, and the Parmesan bar was actually a crunchy bar (which i thought was a nice change). The others were soft. Two thumbs up! It's about time someone comes out with a bar that isn't sweet!

Laural

Laural
PostFri Aug 26, 2011 2:50 pm