Forum Index > Food & Grub > DIY Micro Grind Coffee?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 9:31 am 
Allison wrote:
What's the ransom on VIA at Costco?
I can't remember exactly, but it was cheaper than I've seen anywhere else... 70 cents each? Something like that.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 10:07 am 
24 packets for $16, but only in Colombian.

oldshatterhand

oldshatterhand
PostFri Feb 11, 2011 11:50 am 
IPLitAtty wrote:
Mal, You're assuming that VIA is an embodiment of one of the claims, of which you can not be certain.
Well, actually, you can be very certain. It is required by law that if a product claims "patent pending" or "patent no:....." then it is the truth, otherwise punishable by law. If the product's manufacture or consistency does not include any of the claims and/or processes / tools of an invention, then it is not a patent-pending product. So Starbucks either does something illegal, or it lies in its claims. I don't think Starbucks is in a legal position to do either. Joe Blow on welfare can tell an expensive lie, and have no financial responsibility over it. Starbucks and other big firms got their hands tied, as far as making expensive lies -- they can be forced to pay up if caught.
Malachai Constant wrote:
As an officer of the Court, I have to warn that duplicating the product defined by the claims would be an infringement of the patent when and if it issues even if done for personal use.
I don't know. In Canada, all patented inventions and inventions pending patents granted are free for all individuals to use for their own personal purposes. There is no law against using such a product if it produced by the self, an individual person, who is not the applicant for the patent. Each country makes its own patent laws.

Yes, Little Grasshopper, you can get a moontan on a mountain... if you climb high enough a mountain.
Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostFri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 pm 
I picked up a 50 pack of the Italian roast on sale for $28 (free shipping, no tax), at Amazon about a week ago. It was a Friday only deal they had, but I see those deals about once a month. I haven't tried it yet though. Also I see they now have french roast in Via as well. smile.gif

Outdoor Cat

Outdoor Cat
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 3:57 pm 
AeroPress, finest coffee you can make. Period. Without going into the details, I have been using the AeroPress for a couple of years. Most important, it makes coffee that is NEVER BITTER. It makes one cup at a time, but you can make it "americano" or "espresso" by varying the amount of coffee used. It makes much better coffee than Starbucks VIA, but of course since it uses real ground coffee, it is not quite so light or compact as those little envelopes. It is cheaper. In fact, when I go mountain climbing, I take VIA. At home I drink 3-4 cups of espresso strong latte every day.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 4:40 pm 
I have a hard time believing Aeropress trumps Europiccola. I roast my own beans too. smile.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Ziploc

Ziploc
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 9:03 pm 
Allison wrote:
I have a hard time believing Aeropress trumps Europiccola. I roast my own beans too. smile.gif
That's cool. Do you roast it in the oven cookie sheet style? Where do you get your green? I've wondered how they make the Via too. Does taste pretty good.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Feb 23, 2011 12:12 am 
No, I roast it in a roaster. It's just a basic one called the "Fresh Roast". Green beans from Sweet Maria's.

Ziploc

Ziploc
PostWed Feb 23, 2011 1:10 am 
Nice up.gif Love the smell of roasting coffee. My folks had a 25lb roaster few years ago. The thing was a beast and probably weighed 500 lbs. Got spoiled with fresh coffee from them for years. They have a Coffee farm in Kona. I need to find myself a little roaster. The oven thing can be a little tricky.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Feb 25, 2011 8:45 pm 
The Fresh Roast runs about 150. Been happy with mine. Know anywhere in Honolulu I can get some green Kona to bring home?

Ziploc

Ziploc
PostSat Feb 26, 2011 8:12 am 
I'm not aware of any coffee farms on Oahu. Started out that only the Big Island grew coffee but now Kauai and Maui are growing as well. The problem with taking back green bean to the mainland is it needs to be inspected by the US Dept. Of Agriculture. To bring a small amount say a few pounds on the plane? Would need to call them to see their policy. On a large scale the process of moving green bean is done by coffee brokers. So, maybe finding a broker in the mainland that will sell in small quanities? Coffee is big business with lots of middle men in its distribution. For sure, the easiest thing to do is buy the roasted one pound bags during your visit. Some of the smaller farms only sell in Hawaii, in local stores or even on their farm. They call it "estate" coffee, which means it comes only from one farm. These are some of the best quality you can buy and taste amazing. All in "approved packaging" so no hassles at the airport. All of our green bean shipped out of Hawaii is inspected in our warehouse. An agent of the US Dept. of Agricultue comes in, takes samples, and then once approved the lot to be shipped out (tagged and sealed). The hundred pound sacks get loaded into containers and shipped into the states or international. Lots of red tape and process. I could tell you about the steps in growing, picking, processing, grading, and roasting but distribution is not my expertise. Sorry about all the extra info. smile.gif I love coffee and could talk about it all day. Maybe you can take another trip to kona’s coffee farms in the future. A coffee tasting tour!

somegeek

somegeek
PostTue May 17, 2011 10:59 pm 
I roast my own sourced from SM as well in my converted bread machine roaster. Hard to beat once you get your method dialed in!
somegeek

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue May 17, 2011 11:28 pm 
Wow, that's some setup! I never thought I *needed* to roast my own until I started doing it. Now I will never go back, it's that much better.

alpinelakes

alpinelakes
PostSat Jul 30, 2011 2:26 pm 
As to the original question:
Quote:
Wondered if there was a a DIY yet for this kind of coffee?
I think you might be able to fake it with one of those screen-type hashish-making kits that are commonly available at smoke shops. Perhaps a semi-automated system like the Kief-O-Matic kief extractor:

JennieEl

JennieEl
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 5:16 pm 
When Starbucks first came out with Via I thought I remembered hearing/reading somewhere that it was mostly real coffee with a pinch of instant in it somewhere. I suspect there might be more to it than just microgrinding or someone somewhere would have done that a long time ago, given the horrid alternatives. I don't mind the cost too much since I only use it on the trail and I alternate it with yerba mate, which I like. But as someone else pointed out, they tend to roast the wahooie out of their beans, which makes it kind of strong. Getting the right amount for my insulated cup is a trick. I'd be interested if home micro-grinding does work. I'd like to be able to work out the right quantity for my preferences.