Forum Index > Trail Talk > Damn Fish--the big one that....you know
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostWed May 22, 2002 2:04 pm 
Whoa Dslayer - Cascadehiker is going to love it when he finds out where your brother is and where that fish was caught. Kennewick is close. You sent that photo to me several weeks ago but my hard drive died and photo is history. That was one huge fish! Cascadehiker - I've played and lost fish at Flaming Geyser, too. Most often just above the bridge, but sometimes under it. A LOT of steelhead have been taken out of that hole. I was fishing gear then, mostly, and I have to say the Green has the "grabbiest" bottom I've ever fished. I've lost probably $100 worth of lures in there. Anyway, it's a small world.....

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed May 22, 2002 7:43 pm 
So I'm not the only guy who's lost a lot of $$$ in the Green. You're right about that grabby bottom. I used to live in Auburn so I was able to spend a fair amount of time on different parts of the Green. I never caught a steelhead though, nada. waah.gif but I guess I made up for it by getting bakery goods at the bakery in Black Diamond. Yes, it is a small world. smile.gif Say, I did catch a nice large fish with my hat once up at Horseshoe Lake (Dingford Creek) but that's another story.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu May 23, 2002 7:48 am 
Cascade Hiker-I don't know the precise spot on the river, but I do not that he pulled into the boat launch at Irrigon,OR with the fish, got a picture taken of it, had it officially weighed, witnesses, etc, then let it go. He does a lot of tournament fishing, so he was 'pre-fishing' trying to locate fish-with all the time he has spent and all high-tech equipment he has he practically knows every fish in the river by name. It was a big fish to start with, but she was also full of eggs. If I knew how do it, I'd post a picture of the darn thing. I've done some walleye fishing with him, but I really don't care for catching them--though they are a good eating fish-but if you catch them with my brother they're going back into the water. Steelhead are different, though--he refers to them, jokingly I think-as silver trash fish, although he had a system worked out over the winter where he was hooking as many as 15-20 fish a day on the water-he didn't land all of them and he released a lot of fish, too. He's very scientific about it, he's a science and math teacher, he's a lot like Brian in that regard--both very interesting to listen, too.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu May 23, 2002 10:57 am 
dslayer: I have a pretty good idea of where he was fishing. There is an area on the Washington side where a lot of contest fishing is done and it isn't far from Irrigon. I am not a bass fisherman, but I congratulate anyone who not only catches a fish like that but is also willing to return it to the river so it can continue to propagate the species with more of the trophy offspring. I used to fish alot but now I pretty much only occasionally fish the high lakes as I love the taste of fresh caught mountain trout to supplement dinner with. tongue.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu May 23, 2002 4:29 pm 
I'm with you on trout--I eat them about every day in the summer. I've gravitated away from some of the fishing my brother does largely because of all the technology involved--like fishfinders and all--but there is a lot of skill in utilizing that stuff.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
brownster145

brownster145
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 7:59 pm 
Ah yes the Green
I'm a new member, but not new to the Green. I have consistently fished the river for about 5 years now. I never did experience the huge steelhead runs of days passed. I've caught a few Kings but none like the one hooked by Salish- You can't keep them now anyways. I do however, have my fair share of fishin' stories from the Green. From Tukwilla to the Headworks- now closed thanks to terrorism- I have hooked some big fish. There is certainly still a healthy chum run, I've had 50 fish days. The Biggest fish I have ever caught, however, was a Soupfin Shark of approxiamtely 100 lbs, 6 feet long, caught out of Westport last week. It was a surprise, to say the least.