Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Energy Sources/Improvements on the Horizon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Aug 10, 2011 9:23 pm 
Why, the exact same motivations as everyone has, simply unshrouded by manipulation and intervention. The motivation? Self interest.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostThu Aug 11, 2011 8:41 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
The motivation? Self interest.
I know you think this is the motivation behind everything. But just because self-interest is your sole motivation, don't extrapolate that out to everyone else. Perhaps you can't understand, but it is possible to transcend the narrow concerns of your own self-interest and care about other things and other beings for their own sake.

Mongo

Mongo
PostThu Aug 11, 2011 10:33 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Why, the exact same motivations as everyone has, simply unshrouded by manipulation and intervention. The motivation? Self interest.
Self interest is not a bad motivation, but in the perfect libertarian world, what are the mechanisms for implementing a solution to a set of problems that require a large, long term, concerted and coherent approach involving billions of people over say 50 years. Not saying that we are getting that now.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostMon Aug 15, 2011 11:54 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Keeping in nature with my prickly pickyness, I'll point out that 'cooperative' means at lot of things to a lot of people, and they use the word for the nice feeling it conveys while rarely admitting the 'cooperation' they mean is the kind associated with 'or else'.
I'm not sure where I heard the term, but what you are talking about could be called "coercive collectivism." It's not that libertarian minded people are against collectivism. The are against the coercive variety. But very few strictly follow the principle of voluntary collectivism. Seems that whether one is on the right or left politically, once power over the individual lives of others becomes available, they grasp for it. The trick is to maximize people's individual power over what is their own while regulating it enough so that they cannot use what they have to trample on the right of others to do the same. In other words, individual liberty ends where it starts to encroach on another person's individual or collective rights. For example, the effect it would have on my neighbors if I burned a pile of old tires. Or dumping toxic chemicals into the ocean.

touron

touron
PostThu Jan 26, 2012 11:24 pm 
I herd this is a new energy source that can be milked, a holstein source of electricy for sure. Mooo ve over hydro. Even if it only provides 2% or 1%, or just skims the surface of our energy needs, it is wholly worth it and the horn should be sounded for such udder resourcefulness. If others cud step in and do similar--farming out our energy needs, then our problems would pail and could be put to pasture because of these manure forms of energy (nure source from an older product) and we could graze on a bountiful energy harvest.
Quote:
In fact, as dairy farmers everywhere seek to stay in business and meet tougher-than-ever environmental standards, they are finding new ways not only to feed cows, as Andy and his brother Jim Werkhoven have discovered, but to deal with the waste as well — turning manure into money by letting it generate electricity. poop.gif Seattle Times article

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
touron

touron
PostFri Dec 07, 2012 11:00 pm 
More efficient solar cells on the horizon?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
touron

touron
PostWed Mar 20, 2013 10:12 pm 
One of the original electric cars built by Detroit Electric