Forum Index > Trail Talk > Finney Peak - Skagit Co.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSun Jul 14, 2002 8:12 pm 
OK Guys & Gals, I spent Saturday walking recent decomissioned old logging roads to their end (the logging mess they did and left in that watershed is a crime in itself - total rape to say the least) trying to locate the old trail. Seems its been obliterated thru the logged off stuff as I couldn't find any sign of it in my crashing and thrashing the brush. Though I could have bagged the peak going straight for it, two out of the four in our party were not experienced for that type of travel, so I elected to stay to loggng road/brush/trail searching to no avail. Guess I will have to just go fo it from another route "brushy" I know of, but has anyone been on the old trail in recent years or does it still exist at all? If you ain't been there, you need not respond with you think so and so forth.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
REJ

REJ
PostMon Jul 15, 2002 10:52 pm 
What road(s) did you use to approach the Finney Peak trail? There are three possible choice FS Roads #1715, #1730 or #1735. Bits and pieces of the old trail still exist around #1715 and #1730 but logging has mostly obliterated the lower part of the trail. Only the upper 1(?) mile of the trail to the summit remains. The trail followed the upper portion of the north ridge which was also the upper boundary of the logging zone. Therefore we found that the trail is sketchy in these areas. We followed FS Road #1730 (after a tricky crossing of the washout at Chute Creek) to were it crosses the north ridge and bushwacked towards the summit until we found what is left of the trail. Nice area. The trail should be reconstructed with access from road #1715.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jul 16, 2002 8:29 am 
I was on Finney about 2 years ago. The trail comes and goes, but we only found remanents of it when we were coming down. Never going up. Try the WTA database, I think there is something in there about somebody going up, but not sure.

Art is an adventure.
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostTue Jul 16, 2002 2:41 pm 
For historical enrichment, and just for fun, you might locate a copy of the book "Switchbacks" by Andy Holland. He was a fire lookout for many seasons in the 30's and 40's. I recall that he wrote about Finney Peak in his book.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Jul 16, 2002 9:00 pm 
thanks guys. The road I was on was 1735 and then we took spur roads off that. #1735 is being decommissioned as we speak.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Jul 19, 2002 7:57 pm 
I sure am glad the Forest Service hasn't lost their funding for destroying roads! mad.gif rant.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!